Lucky "D" find this morning

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jptopdwn

Single-Sixer
While in my local shop this morning I picked up an original model Vaquero with a "D" marked serial number. It is in .45 Colt, 4 5/8" barrel, and stainless. Love starting off the morning with an unexpected find. Now if I can just track down its mate.

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
Duplicate serial number. When two guns get the same number by mistake Ruger would stamp a D in front on one of the guns so the numbers would not be the same.

Coogs

Maximum
Good luck on finding THAT match! I hope you do, it's tough. I've got over 14 "D" single sixes, been searching for their mates for over 30 years, no luck so far! By the way, if any one out there has a "D" marked Maximum, I'll trade you a NIB, barrel length of your choice, plus a fair amount of $$$ for it. Coogs.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Ruger1441 said:
Duplicate serial number. When two guns get the same number by mistake Ruger would stamp a D in front on one of the guns so the numbers would not be the same.

Reckon how they know which one to stamp?

Bob Wright

Coogs

Maximum
Dave, I have.........been quite a while though. Maybe should do that again, but, I'm afraid that collection may soon be on the chopping block. Got a new house to build, Coogs.

contender

Ruger Guru
Bob,,, from what I've learned,,, Ruger produces a batch of guns, and marks them. Once completed & logged, they get shipped. The next batch that gets an accidental identical serial gets caught when being logged in the books. An "oops" is said, then they are marked with the "D".

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
If it wasn't for the oops factor there would be a lot less Ruger variations to collect. No 6 1/2 old model Supers, No D guns, No S guns, No SC 4 Super Single Six to name a few. So long Live the oops factor :D

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Ruger1441,

Yes, the oops factor has provided for a great deal unique Rugers. I have been fortunate enough to find 3 of the 4 oops factor guns in 31 years. The SC4 found at small local gun show in 1983, the second year collecting Rugers. The D gun in 2004 and the short Super last year. The S gun still alludes me and the non D matching serial number will never happen. Coogs has 14 chances and I have 1 = fat chance but still fun trying.

Coogs,

Please see PM.

SATCOM

chet15

Hawkeye
contender said:
Bob,,, from what I've learned,,, Ruger produces a batch of guns, and marks them. Once completed & logged, they get shipped. The next batch that gets an accidental identical serial gets caught when being logged in the books. An "oops" is said, then they are marked with the "D".

Sometimes they get so far as to the distributor and even the dealer/customer before Ruger realizes there's a "D" mistake.
Chet15

jptopdwn

Single-Sixer
Just in case anyone runs across it..............the mate for my "D" marked Vaquero is 57-19115. Hope it is our there somewhere.