.44 special shooting high

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
I Bisley fied a nib new flattop .44 special. It groups like a house afire but about 4" high at 25 yards. Rear sight is not flush with the topstrap with the elevation screw down tight. Anyone else have this issue?

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have 2 of them and they shoot to the sights(250gr 1000fps), perfectly...as long as I do my part.

What loads are you shooting?

stevemb

Hunter
Since you have other flattops and reload I'd guess you are aware that many Ruger SA's spend their lifetime with the rear sight bottomed out, i.e., needing a taller front sight. Many of us wish Ruger would use a pinned front sight set-up on the blued guns like they already use on the stainless guns. Sigh.

Rclark

Hunter
I had to file the rear blade down flush with the sight holder. Mine still shoots just a bit high, but acceptable with rear sight all the way down. No way was I going to shoot 200g loads in mine to bring the POI down. It's 240g+ or none. The Skeeter load is what I shoot almost 100% of the time.

ps: I don't like the 6 O'clock sight picture either. I like to lay the sight on the target and that is where it will hit.

Mine new Flat Top .44 Special did that too. I disassembled the rear sight and using a table top belt sander carefully too about .030" off the bottom of the sight which amount to three more "down" clicks. Worked like a charm.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I don't believe the front sight is the problem.

I had the same experience with a Flat top 44 and the same solution as 308 Scout. Some of the sight bodies have come thru a little too fat and won't sit down flush (tight) with the top strap cut out above the hammer. Even if they do, I would still slim them down rather than messing with the front sight.

I had to do the same thing with the new all steel standard Blackhawk sight with the bird on it.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
JMHO, I got a taller rear sight blade for the rear and that helped a bunch. It gave me more UP/DN adj and now I can just shoot the dang thang. All the tango's I've shot didn't even know whether I was using the 6 o'clock hold. I guess shooting to POA is the same thing. I use one load and it shoots great. Don't fix it IF it ain't broke. BhK

Rclark

Hunter
3396d1354543314-sight-picture-center-hold-vs-six-oclock-sight-picture.jpg

This picture shows you the difference between the six hold and center hold. I prefer the center hold for my shooting, others like the six hold.

DPris

Buckeye
R,
I find it just the opposite. :)
My eye CAN'T find the exact center of a black bull, most especially with all-black sights.
Can't see as consistent an aiming point as the bottom of the black bull on top of the front blade.

Most of my shooting's done for accuracy & I can't shoot as tight going for center hold as I can going for 6 o'clock hold.
Denis

s4s4u

Hunter
Most of my shooting's done for accuracy & I can't shoot as tight going for center hold as I can going for 6 o'clock hold.
Denis

6 o'clock is fine for a predermined target size at a predetermined distance, but not applicable in my real world handgunning. Hunting and defense are my primary concerns and center hold is the most effective, whether using irons or optics.

DPris

Buckeye
For determining accuracy with a given load in a given gun, the 6 o'clock hold is the best, for me.

It does not translate well into hunting, but that's not what it's used for.

Select a load, obtain best accuracy, zero the gun with that load, then use a center of mass (body, shoulder, head, etc.) hold when hunting.

It's a matter of using which works best, in the right context. Doesn't have to be exclusively one or the other.
Denis

s4s4u

Hunter
DPris said:
For determining accuracy with a given load in a given gun, the 6 o'clock hold is the best, for me.

It does not translate well into hunting, but that's not what it's used for.

Select a load, obtain best accuracy, zero the gun with that load, then use a center of mass (body, shoulder, head, etc.) hold when hunting.

It's a matter of using which works best, in the right context. Doesn't have to be exclusively one or the other.
Denis

Agreed 100%