Opinions wanted - GP100 3" Wiley Clap Talo vs Match Champion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blade37db

Bearcat
The Ruger bug is biting me hard and I'm trying to decide between these 2 (and trying to avoid buying both).
I have rented and shot the Match Champion and liked it. I've also seen the 3" Wiley Clap Talo (in stainless) online but have never shot it. My understanding is that they are a limited run.

Besides the grip and the front sight, is there anything else special about the Wiley Clap Talo version?

Don't plan on carrying either. More of a range/HD gun.

I can get the Match Champion for $650 + tax. The WC will run about $745 all in.

I already have a 3" S&W Model 65-5 which I'll never part with and a 686-5 5" so I guess I lean towards "odd" stuff :lol:

Thoughts & insights are appreciated.
Thanks.

eveled

Hawkeye
I personally don't like either of them. I would go with the regular fixed sight GP, mine has a 4 inch barrel, but the 3 inch barrel is nice too. Ed

MikeR

Bearcat
I have a WC. I changed the front sight to a night sight and am using standard Ruger rubber grips. I like the revolver a lot---my wife too (only with .38s). Although I like the rear sight, given the other changes I made maybe a "stock" Gp100 may have been almost as good--at less cost.

I am receiving my new Match Champion (on order) any day now! I sold my SP101 4 inch to fund this gun! Very excited.

The irony is I sold my GP100 6 inch to help fund the SP... It's kinda like a full circle.

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
I handled the MC at the big box store recently and it's pretty nice.
I really liked the weight, balance (unloaded), and handling of the 3" fixed sight GP I handled, but I'd rather have adjustable sights, which neither had.
I figure the 3" WC sights are better than the standard fixed sights on the 3" GP, I'd probably go WC given I had the $$ in hand to get one!

Blade37db

Bearcat
Decided to go with the Match Champion. It cost me $50 less than the Wiley Clapp would have and since I already have a 3" .357 (Model 65) I figured a 4 inch was the way to go.

Clarkston_cz

Single-Sixer
The Match that I handled had a ho hum action in comparison to the Stainless Wiley Clapp .357 that
I owned for a while.

Easily the finest SA pull I've ever ecountered on a Ruger DA revolver.

Too bad the finish wasn't what I expected.

I'm now thinking the blued WC is what I want, but have no idea
if the action on the blued ones are as nice as the SS models.

In this day of lawsuits, having a .357 that has a perfect trigger
pull from the box means that I wouldn't have to modify the
gun that would be used to defend my home or person.

I've had other Rugers worked on and installed springs, ect.

The WCs seem to be good to go from day one.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
My brother has a SS Willy Clapp, and a shooting buddy has a new Match Champion.

For concealed carry the WC is the better choice.

For a Range Revolver the Match Champion will be hard to beat. I have not fired my buddys so far, but just handleing it, the wood grip feels good.

I hear some whineing about the Novak sights on both from people who do not own one. I have not figured this out. The sights are windage adjustable, and if the elevation happened to need adjustment, which I have not seen an issue with to date, you can get different height front sights. On a 1911 this sight combination has been THE state of the art in sights on a fighting pistol forever. We have I believe 7 WC GP100's and 1 Match Champion that my ICORE shooters own. Everyone really likes the Novak Sights on them.

Bob R