Ruger Old Army (5.5 Inch Barrel)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

conder0289

Single-Sixer
Just picked up a Ruger Old Army in High Polished Stainless Steel with a 5.5 Inch Barrel, Fixed Sights, White Simulated Ivory Grips, I had been wanting one since it was first introduced, but as with most things, I thought, "oh I'll have plenty of time to get one", but before I knew it, Ruger dropped the Old Army from its line and ceased production all together.
The gun was priced fairly, in my opinion, in box (Gray Plastic Case) with Manual, Nipple Wrench and and extra set of Ruger Made nipples. Gun appears unfired, with flawless finish and no turn mark on cylinder.
I see that the 5.5 Inch barrel was introduced in 1994 and 2008 was the last year listed on Ruger's website. I also looked on Ruger's website to roughly determine this particular gun's manufacturing/shipping date but it lists two prefix numbers, 145- and 148-. Am I to assume, that each number represented refers to the different barrel length? Both prefixes are listed for given year and seem to overlap. This gun has a 148- prefix.
Pictures to follow once I remember how to upload to photo bucket.

Thanks for any info that anyone can offer on this

k22fan

Blackhawk
Great find!

I only know enough to write you are correct that the prefix does not change with barrel length. I don't even understand why Ruger is squandering man hours making plastic framed pistols when they have the know how to make Old Armies!

Rclark

Hunter
Congrats... I have one also, and was out shooting it a couple weeks ago now. I ran into a pair of them at a gunshow for $1800 or so, but didn't bite as I already have one. They are the rarest out there of the ROAs. Enjoy!!!

Lots of info in the following thread I started awhile back:

Ruger Old Army Fixed Sight Thread

And mine :
RugerOldArmySS14800161_1_zps269b29a2.jpg

Bet it looks just like yours ;) Hah!

conder0289

Single-Sixer
When I get the photos up I,ll list the ss#, maybe someone can look it up in RENE to see if anymore info is given.

Thanks again everyone

According to Jeff Quinn of Gunblast.com this variation came out sometime in 2002, because his article is dated November 25, 2002, with photos taken by Jeff and his brother Boge Quinn

Link to article - http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_OldArmy5_1-2.htm

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
You've a very nice gun there! I just acquired a 7 & 1/2" Stainless with adjustable sights. Mine didn't come with the nipple wrench but a gentleman from Alaska had an extra he sold me very reasonable. Below is his picture of my gun:
Ruger_Old_Army.jpg

I'm chomping at the bit(no time in my schedule) to shoot this thing!!!
Steve

Rclark

Hunter
FYI, a 3/16 socket works great for removing those nipples. The nipple wrenchs haven't been used.

Steve, those adjustable sighted ROAs are nice too. I have a pair of 'em that look just like that one :) (got to stay balanced you know ... one for each hand) .

conder0289

Single-Sixer
You will enjoy it I'm sure, I had a 7 1/2 inch many years ago, in stainless steel, adjustable sights, bought it at a local gunstop for $189 used. I forget what I sold it for but it was considerably more than I payed for it.

Rclark

Hunter
Rclark, what box would be correct with my pistol built in 1993?
I really don't know (I am a 'not interested in the box' type of guy ;) ) . Hopefully one of the 'collectors' will chime in with there 'know all' wisdom :) .

the fixed sight guns came out around 1994 and the 1993 longer barreled guns may have been in the one piece ,yellow and black ends, as the gray cases started to be used about then for the revolvers...as for Jeffs article he may have been writing about his gun, one of the low number (subscription guns?) as they shipped the low numbers according to Chad and the RENE around 2002 or 2003 ( the first 500 guns) We had gotten two short barreled guns, one a 2 digit and the other one a 3 digit gun, at that time from "subscribers" of the low number guns, and yes they came in grey cases..............my old 'rule of thumb' (close but not always spot on) was the red/white new model boxes ran from 1973 to around 1982, then the yellow boxes from around 1982 till 1993, then the grey cases after,,,,,yes ,I KNOW this was not the case for every model,but "close enough'" overall, there are exceptions, "never say never, and never say always...."
Not "know all wisdom", just another opinion.... 8) :roll: :wink:

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
How do the versions with the 7.5 inch barrel and adjustable sights shoot at 25 yards?
Enough power to kill a whitetail?

AZshooter

Bearcat
Got the stainless ROA a couple of years ago. Touted as 'Unfired" until I pointed out some wear and residual powder. The price dropped to where I really wanted it, and I'm glad I brought it home. Previous owner installed the nipples with red Loctite, and it was a fight to remove them. I'll keep them as spares, having since installed a set of Ampco nipples.

Smooth trigger and action, and loads of fun to shoot. Stoutly built compared to an 1858 Remington New Army, but quite dainty alongside the Dragoon.

Next on my list is a 5 1/2" model ...

conder0289

Single-Sixer
Good luck on that AZshooter,
Since I started this thread, I've been watching Gunbroker for 5.5 Inch, fixed sight model in SS, NOT cheap, I've seen them sell for a minimum of $1000 up the crazy price on one of $1736, the one I found at my LGS was immaculate, and complete package as issued, out the door at $636

conder0289

Single-Sixer
Hey k22fan,

I had to think for a time on your past comment

I only know enough to write you are correct that the prefix does not change with barrel length.

I did figure out why Ruger used two different prefixes,

Perfix 145- covers all adjustable sight models

Perfix 148- covers all fixed sight models

So a given prefix covers that particular model, regardless of its barrel length

conder0289

Single-Sixer
Pictures hardly came out as good as I had hoped, but here it is, along with its little friends which accompanied her home.

A North American Arms Mini in 22LR and a very scarce Uberti Derringer in 45 Colt (Made in 1964)

Its amazing how the fuzz from the silicon cloth shows up in the photo using the Macro Setting on my camera, oh well :roll: