My 65th Birthday Ruger Handgun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I recently turned 65 (never thought I would make it!) and thought I would buy myself a gift...... I am hankerin' for a New Model Vaquero 45 COLT, 5.5", high gloss stainless. I plan on reloading and informal target shooting. Maybe even dressing it up with some holly grips. Anyone out there with experience shooting this beauty and how much should I expect to pay for a shooter in good condition?

drastic_quench

Bearcat
$550 - $600. You can polish a brushed stainless finish to high gloss with a rag and Mothers Mag polish. The regular brushed finish might be easier to find.

Happy birthday. I'm not too far behind you, I'll be 64 later this year. I like the "old" model Vaquero's or the larger ones for those "purists" out there. I also like the 45 Colt. Used a couple when I tried my hand at CAS. Just get a black felt tip and run it along the edge of the sight blade. I guess those Vaqueros for us older guys are a hold over from the old Western days. Glad I didn't live back then but sure liked their taste in firearms.

Ravenn

Bearcat
Happy 65!!If this is your first expirence with .45,and Bisley, your in for a treat.
Trying to decide what I want for my 65th.... 10 lbs of 2400??? A used #3 Ruger I've had an eye on??? Or the Latin Chick on Modern Family. ( Don't watch it...seen the promos...)

Happy Birthday..
Rich in Ky...

(Ravenn)

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
...and many more. Got the gun you're looking for and I'll tell you right now you pay whatever it takes to get it. Mine is for informal target shooting too, and everything else. Don't worry too much about the silver sights, you don't see them until you cock the hammer anyway so you won't be looking at them long. Not a gun for meditating. Ride the high country.

PriseDeFer said:
...and many more. Got the gun you're looking for and I'll tell you right now you pay whatever it takes to get it. Mine is for informal target shooting too, and everything else. Don't worry too much about the silver sights, you don't see them until you cock the hammer anyway so you won't be looking at them long. Not a gun for meditating. Ride the high country.
Thank you and welcome to the forum!

Rclark

Hunter
Happy 65th! Which New Model are you looking for? The original Vaquero or the New Vaquero :) . 5.5 barrel and .45 Colt, sounds like a winner to me! Hope you run into one. My gut says around $500 or so... Oh, I shoot the blued version, and like it. I can't shoot the Vaqueros as accurately as the BHs, but still enjoy getting them out.

I just turned 50... Good excuse for a revolver too.... Hoping for the Single-7 .32 as my birthday revolver.... Don't want a .50 cal. ;) . Got a .45 Colt revolver on my 45th as an excuse....

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Happy Birthday brother and well to the senior citizen group!!!

When did they stop making a bright gloss SS finish???

NewVaquaro-45Colts.jpg

I use these beauties for Cowboy Action Shooting, CAS. much improved over the old model Vaqueros!!!

dakota1911

Buckeye
Happy 65th. I won't be there for a few more years but you are putting ideas in my head.

Rclark said:
Happy 65th! Which New Model are you looking for? The original Vaquero or the New Vaquero :) . 5.5 barrel and .45 Colt, sounds like a winner to me! Hope you run into one. My gut says around $500 or so... Oh, I shoot the blued version, and like it. I can't shoot the Vaqueros as accurately as the BHs, but still enjoy getting them out.

I just turned 50... Good excuse for a revolver too.... Hoping for the Single-7 .32 as my birthday revolver.... Don't want a .50 cal. ;) . Got a .45 Colt revolver on my 45th as an excuse....

RClark: Thank you, and a Happy 50th to you! I am looking for the New Vaquero. I have an ad in the classified section but no luck yet. I might be time to hit the gun stores and pawnshops. I hope you get that Single-7 .32, it would be a sweet one.

Regards,

Rafsob said:
Happy Birthday brother and well to the senior citizen group!!!

When did they stop making a bright gloss SS finish???

NewVaquaro-45Colts.jpg

I use these beauties for Cowboy Action Shooting, CAS. much improved over the old model Vaqueros!!!

Thank you, Rafsob! I am not sure if they stopped making the bright gloss finish. I sure won't turn down a New Vaquero in regular stainless. I tried some Mothers Mag polish on my stainless Single Six and it polished up darn near like the bright gloss finish. Those are two beauties that you have there.
Regards,

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Happy 65th. As luck would have, and coincidentally, I bought a New Vaquero .45 Colt 5.5" Ruger 60th Anniversary commemorative for my 62nd birthday. It was not only a BDay gift to myself, but also a present to me for going back to work after being retired a few years (long story....ughhh).

Anyhoot, you'll love it. Its my favorite revolver next to my Single 10.

Latest posts