Why no Super Blackhawk HUNTER in 357 mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drastic_quench

Bearcat
The cartridge reliably kills big whitetails just fine at pistol and carbine ranges. Ruger is missing an easily scoped 357 magnum from its lineup. Even if it's not the SUPER, but just a Blackhawk Hunter, that'd work.

I'm not asking for something obscure. 357 has a very proven track record in the field. You can even get a Hunter in 41 mag for Pete's sake! Where's the 357?

k22fan

Blackhawk
For starters, in Ruger speak, "Super BH" = .44 magnum. Ask why no mid-frame Dragoon or Bisley handled long barreled .357 set up for easy scope mounting? Hmmm…. after my budget catches up with my spending I'd be a buyer. I'm not crazy about the Hunter though. I'd prefer a drilled and tapped more traditional round barrel for appearance and to avoid too much weight forward. A 7 1/2" ribbed barrel with the smaller bore would be awfully muzzle heavy. That might be why Ruger hasn't manufactured .357 Hunters.

Kanook

Buckeye
Im all in for a Hunter in 357mag. Id also buy a 10" barrel 357mag in the SBH style. Need the longer cylinder for those long 180s that would not fit in the mid frame.

s4s4u

Hunter
I'd prefer a drilled and tapped more traditional round barrel for appearance and to avoid too much weight forward.

As would I. Had a Bisley Hunter in 41 and didn't care for it at all with the scope mounted on the barrel.

G2

Hunter
The .41 Hunter is a heavy gun, the 357 would be heavier... :roll:

....just my opinion.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
I wish Ruger would make a NM Blackhawk/Hunter in 357 and a Redhawk in 357, too! Both would have 7 1/2" and 5 1/2" barrels. Redhawk also in 41 mag, too.

okie44

Single-Sixer
Kanook said:
Id also buy a 10" barrel 357mag in the SBH style. Need the longer cylinder for those long 180s that would not fit in the mid frame.
You can put one together in the garage with the right parts, three cylinders, short barrel off, long barrel on. 357-44 BD, 357 Mag and 9mm: :D Edit Long cylinder would be nice.
image_zps2b3b3f38.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsd347b9f3.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A 6.5" Blackhawk makes a nice hunting 357mag gun. Putting a scope on one isn't much of a problem.

If you look around you might find a 357mag Bisley or Redhawk.

There is always the superb Freedom Arms 357mag. :D

But with the Hunter models you can take the scope off and still have sights ready to go. I can go back and forth from red dot, to scope, and to sights on my Redhawk, and do it in about a minute or so in the field or at the range.

Kanook

Buckeye
Any way you look at it, a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 357mag with a 7.5" barrel and scope will weigh less than a scoped rifle.

It may not be for everybody, that's fine. I bet that there are at least 500 or so that would want/buy one or two.

Something else to consider it the added weight will help reduce pulse movement when Buck fever sets in. :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Not that a Hunter or Bisley Hunter in 357mag isn't a good idea but if they can't keep the 41mag in production I am sure the market for a 357mag hunter just isn't big enough for Ruger to go into special production.

I tossed out what I thought might be some good alternatives for someone that wants one. I have handled an FA model 83, I think it was, in 357mag and it was a magnificent gun. I think they use them in 'silhouette shooting'. :D

Kanook

Buckeye
I have shot the Freedom Arms in 357mag, 44mag, 45LC, and 454. No matter how great it is built or how refined it is, I can't stand the Bisley style grip on the ones I shot. I like the Ruger SBH grip better.

I bought a 10" 357maxi barrel for a barrel swap I planned on doing but a 357max with a buldged barrel needed it more.