Why no Super Blackhawk HUNTER in 357 mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
I could get on board with that!

DO IT RUGER!!

AND... If they do another Redhawk in 357, make it an 8 shot!! (Flame suit on) :D

357Gig

Bearcat
Does anybody know if you can send your wheelgun to Ruger to have them machine the proprietary mounts onto a model that didn't ship with them?

And yes, 8-shot .357 Redhawk please!

eveled

Hawkeye
Joe S. said:
AND... If they do another Redhawk in 357, make it an 8 shot!! (Flame suit on) :D

I got tired of waiting so I had to get a S&W 627. It is an awesome gun, but I still would be a buyer for a .357 Redhawk.

The only reason I buy S&W is when Ruger doesn't offer what I want. I prefer Rugers, :D
627617003_zps6c577cf1.jpg

Joe S.

Hunter
I just sold a 327PD.

GREAT GUN!! But i figured the scandium frame wouldnt hold up to heavy shooting should i decide to take it to matches, so i will hold out for a 627. One day. Maybe.

I should qualify that by saying i dont currently shoot matches. I bought it just in case. But the realized the blast shield may be an issue.

TPAshooter7.62

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
Not that a Hunter or Bisley Hunter in 357mag isn't a good idea but if they can't keep the 41mag in production I am sure the market for a 357mag hunter just isn't big enough for Ruger to go into special production.

I tossed out what I thought might be some good alternatives for someone that wants one. I have handled an FA model 83, I think it was, in 357mag and it was a magnificent gun. I think they use them in 'silhouette shooting'. :D
Actually, I think it would be the opposite. 41 Magnum is almost a hand loader's domain. OTOH, there is a plethora of 38 and 357 ammo all over the place. I'd like to see such a Bisley Hunter in 357 Magnum done up! I'd even look for a spare cylinder to make it into a 357/44 Bain and Davis. The ballistics coming from a 7" barrel would be phenomenal! The scope would just add to its mystique.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Not offering the SBH or BH Hunter in 357mag is Ruger's way of telling you that they don't think the .357mag is a suitable hunting cartridge. :p

I can kill deer - and have killed deer - with a 9mm, but it doesn't mean Glock should start selling camo dipped 17's with scope mounts. My wife and I have killed a couple dozen deer between the two of us with 357's over the years, hers most recently a couple years ago with her 2.25" SP101! Not really a hunting revolver, not really a deer hunting round, even though it works under the right conditions.

I suppose a logistical reality would be that as a hunting cartridge, the 357mag is very range limited, such that having the magnification advantage of a scope on one isn't really necessary.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
G2 said:
The .41 Hunter is a heavy gun, the 357 would be heavier... :roll:

....just my opinion.

Ar you confused or just love the .357???

Here is a .41:

Blackhawk41mag-a.jpg

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TPAshooter7.62

Single-Sixer
okie44 said:
Kanook said:
Id also buy a 10" barrel 357mag in the SBH style. Need the longer cylinder for those long 180s that would not fit in the mid frame.
You can put one together in the garage with the right parts, three cylinders, short barrel off, long barrel on. 357-44 BD, 357 Mag and 9mm: :D Edit Long cylinder would be nice.
image_zps2b3b3f38.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsd347b9f3.jpg
Long cylinder has been thought on. It's called the 357 Maximum. TPA.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Varminterror said:
Not offering the SBH or BH Hunter in 357mag is Ruger's way of telling you that they don't think the .357mag is a suitable hunting cartridge.

You should tell that to the deer!!! This is what I use in the woods:

GP-100a.jpg

Don't remember having any of the my deer complaining about the killing power of the .357 mag. :lol: :lol: :lol:

wizzard

Bearcat
Rafsob said:
Varminterror said:
Not offering the SBH or BH Hunter in 357mag is Ruger's way of telling you that they don't think the .357mag is a suitable hunting cartridge.

You should tell that to the deer!!! This is what I use in the woods:

GP-100a.jpg

Don't remember having any of the my deer complaining about the killing power of the .357 mag. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was gonna make the same point Rafsob. Oh and by the way...thanks....now I want one of these! lol

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Having recently purchased a Redhawk in 357 with a 7.5" barrel, I decided to try it out on a steel plate at 100 yards. Having never shot a 357 at a target at that distance before, I was not sure what to expect.

I was surprised to learn at how "flat" the projectile travelled at 100 yards. I was thinking that there would be a significant arch to the projectile. But that didn't happen.

It was sure a lot of fun!

"Chief" Redhawk has a way of making his presence known.......

rob-c

Single-Sixer
So BHH would be cool in a 357 , I don't expect ruger to make one now davidsons etc may order a special run . Heck buy a GP wife is hunting with one this year and I have killed plenty of deer with my black hawk in 357.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
SHOOTER said:
They can do a 357mag on a SBH.....

They also did a red hawk years ago in 357

Yep, they sure did: I've got a 1984 vintage 357 RH with a 7.5" tube. It's a beast insofar as 357s go.

I'm not a hunter, but it appears that it would make a good hunting handgun: with open sights, 12" steel plates succumb regularly @ 100 yards...

I am no way ever going to be convinced any 357 is a big game revolver, 45 years ago I proved how anemic the 357 is for deer when it comes to comparing with 44 or 45 Colt in the ruger. It would be futile to ever try and convince me after 45 years hands on proving the difference. I won't say it can't kill a deer, but forget a black bear or big cat, sorry but it just can't do what the 40+ bores are capable of with less than perfect shots. While saying that, anyone who thinks perfect shots in hunting situations with handguns are the normal, sure aint been doing this as long as I have! I want what works best fer MOST situations, not in a perfect controlled world.

Saying that, I think I would love to see 6.5" to 7.5" Bisley Hunter, or better yet a 6.5" or 7" GP100 Hunter, a scoped HB . I think either would be a great varmint rig, and I would jump all over either fer anything less than big game!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Back in the early 80s, Colt sold the Whitetailer in 357 in a factory setup with scope mounts and rings. It was a matte-finish Trooper MkIII and I believe they sold a camo-dipped version with a camo Burris or Leupold scope also? 6" and 8.375" versions IIRC. Otherwise very similar to Ruger's SBHH purpose & intent?

Too bad Ruger doesn't catalog a Hunter in a TG or camp-dip dress w/sling swivels.

A 357M revolver is a deer-killing machine in the hands of a practiced handgunner. I always wondered if I had brought enough gun - in case the fairytale 14-point appeared out there just beyond an ethical range. I made venison with a 357 many times. Shoot through the ears!