New Single Six in .327 Fed Mag!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerRover

Bearcat
:lol: Has anyone found any of these Lipsey's Exclusives on the market yet?

Ruger is cataloging them in three different barrel lengths (Models 8160, 8161, and 8162). This is a useful round for plinking, and has viability as a self-defense round. The longer barrel lengths available in the 7 shot Single-Six will take better advantage of the potential of the round (speeds go way up the longer the barrel; the SP101 in .327 with a 3.16" barrel may have been a bit short to benefit fully from the round, at least if the large flame coming out the front of mine indicated it was still accelerating when it left the barrel!).

Lots of earlier discussions on the .327 Fed Mag called it a round without a clear role, but people that like it seem to really enjoy shooting it. Reloading for it really cuts the cost way down. I routinely find Hornady JHPs in 85 and 100 grains, and Sierra 90 grains, on the shelves of bigger gun stores and available on the web (running around $17.00 for a 100, or .17 per bullet: reasonable).

Are the Single-Sixes in .327 starting to show up?

sandman228

Single-Sixer
I called lipseys last week all they would tell me is there in production ,the guy I talked to couldn't or wouldn't give me a date on when they will ship

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I shot the dickems outta one of the new 5 1/2" 327 Single Sixes on June 8 if memory serves. NICE little SA sevengun. Once sighted in with two shots it hit everything in sght at the 50 meter porcine range.

I guess I must have missed earlier threads on this revolver. I'm a little surprised since I thought the Single Six cylinder was too short for this round. Only the custom smiths were managing to squeeze it in there. I can see from the ad that they really closed up the front of the cylinder window. Is the cylinder the same length as all the previous SS's or did they have to stretch it?

Gregg

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
My understanding is that the barrel stub or forcing cone was shortened slightly for the cylinder. I have not seen one of the new guns though to say for sure.

Andrew

Yeah, I can see the window in front of the cylinder is much tighter. The way I understood it from the custom conversions, the standard Single Six cylinder was a little too short for all weight loads in .327. So I think this means Ruger is making these SS's with a longer cylinder... sort of a Maxi SS. Somebody needs to get one in hand and take some measurements.

This is the best news I've heard since I was told Barack can't run again!!!

Seriously though. This is awesome!!! I will have one with a 5.5" or maybe 7.5" barrel as soon as I find one. I have a scope on my GP100 but would gladly move it over to one of these. I recently ran one of the reduced recoil 85gr hp factory loads over my chronograph from my GP it clocked over 1400fps!! I am loading a 115gr rnfp cast bullet over Unique @1120fps from the GP. I currently carry a Smith 632 Pro Series 2.125" and hunt with the 4" GP. I've been wanting to carry the GP some but don't wanna be taking the scope off and on. This is an answered prayer!!

C.S.

mustang99

Single-Sixer
The cylinder is longer and the barrel is cut shorter. The frame is the same except for slight change in loading gate area. And obviously 7 rounds instead of 6, enjoy it's been a long time coming....

RugerRover

Bearcat
This sounds like a great gun... I like the .32 family... I have both a GP100 in .327 and a SP101 in .32 H&R (which can be hand-loaded to almost .327 levels). I enjoy shooting the GP100 with .327 hand-loads that are reasonable, and think the SP101 in .32 H&R makes a viable self-defense gun if the rounds are loaded to a bit higher levels than normal in a .32 H&R... And the Buffalo Bore 100 gr round (looks a lot like a Hornady XTP to me!) reportedly clocks out at 1300 fps from the .32 H&R, which is pretty respectable (e.g., up in the 9mm /.38+P category, I would think).

But... Jeff Quinn at GunBlast told me in an email he is going to be writing a review on the new Single Six in .327 soon... I am looking forward to that. I can see getting one of these in 5.5 inches...

Rclark

Hunter
Well, I went down and put one (5 1/2) on the Lipsey 'wish' list as they call it at our local Three Bears Alaska here in Butte, MT. They said they'd get back to me if one comes 'available' as they said all were 'allocated'.... Not holding my breath as I did the same thing with the .22 Storekeeper, and they never got that particular revolver in ever...... Who knows ... I'd like to test the .32 waters with this revolver....

BTW, it is a Single-Seven not a Single-Six ;) . TBA had a tough time finding it on-line as I kept refering to it as a single-six! :roll:

Note that I have .357s, but I would like a caliber that is closer to the .22LR in a straight walled case. Since you can't find any .22 ammo (check stores again today) I intend to make the .327 my 'reloadable' .22 :) ..... that is if I can get my hands on a gun that shoots it!

32shooter

Blackhawk
You might be able to get one here. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=207818 I ordered one at my local shop and one from gunsbam69 also. I don't know that the LGS will get me one but if they do then I have two.

RugerRover

Bearcat
I have been reluctant to order through my LGS, who does small volume and was very pessimistic about getting any of these from the "allocated" status (meaning the distributors decide who gets them, they cannot really be ordered). Well, seems to me that Ruger is missing a chance to sell these. I am NOT going to go on GunBroker.com and pay $1000 for one (take a look at the prices on the .327 Fed Mag SP101, if you can find one for sale!).

RugerRover

Bearcat
Rclark said:
Well, I went down and put one (5 1/2) on the Lipsey 'wish' list as they call it at our local Three Bears Alaska here in Butte, MT. They said they'd get back to me if one comes 'available' as they said all were 'allocated'.... Not holding my breath as I did the same thing with the .22 Storekeeper, and they never got that particular revolver in ever...... Who knows ... I'd like to test the .32 waters with this revolver....

BTW, it is a Single-Seven not a Single-Six ;) . TBA had a tough time finding it on-line as I kept refering to it as a single-six! :roll:

Note that I have .357s, but I would like a caliber that is closer to the .22LR in a straight walled case. Since you can't find any .22 ammo (check stores again today) I intend to make the .327 my 'reloadable' .22 :) ..... that is if I can get my hands on a gun that shoots it!

Thanks for the info on it being the Single-Seven -- I've been calling it a Single-Six. It is not really in the same category as a .22 in recoil or in cost, as you know, but it would make a great kit gun. It can be loaded with lighter loads (I've tried Trail Boss with some success in my GP-100 .327) to achieve very low recoil - or it can be loaded up to 1500 fps with an 85 grain bullet.

Starline makes .327 brass, but doesn't have any right now -- my guess is they will be making a run this Fall (you can register for notification of when it is back in stock). You may have to buy some brass in the form of ammo to get started -- the American Eagle is a source of ammo made with Federal brass shells, but hard to find; Buffalo Bore ammo is loaded in Starline brass; the other Federal and the Speer ammo in .327 seems to be in nickel-plated brass, which some people don't like using for reloading. As for bullets, this is a bright spot: I can readily find .312 Hornady XTPs and Sierra JHPs for around $17 per 100.

Good luck finding a Single-Seven. I'm looking for one in 5.5 inches, too!

Rclark

Hunter
Thanks for info ... I plan on shooting only lead in mine. Get some 85g roundnose for $25 per 500 from rimrock and good to go. Load up to around 1000fps. Yeah brass will be the bug-a-boo, but will put in a large order with star-line when they come available (and I have the gun in hand). I check out the store, and they have .327 ammo at $20 for 20..... A bit expensive I'd say.

I've also started using Rim Rock bullets. But I opted for their 115grRNFP. loaded over a decent charge of Unique my GP's favorite load crossed the chrony @ 1120fps. I bought some 78grRN too but the GP didn't care for them. When the Single 7 gets here I'll try some 2400 and/or HS6 to really ring some velocity out of it.

C.S.

or it can be loaded up to 1500 fps with an 85 grain bullet.

The .327 has to be able to do better than that. 1500 fps is exactly what Skeeter and Dean got with a Single Six in .32 H&R. AA #7 powder. With that same Sierra 85 grain JHC bullet.

Gregg