The Ultimate Ruger Fast Draw Western Rig

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
This custom Alfonso rig was carved by Alfonso in 1985 for Sylvester Stallone's brother, musician/actor Frank and is signed by Alphonso. I have no idea what additional value the Frank Stallone provenance adds to the rig. Note the tooling goes down into the holster. The holster is too big for a Colt but my 1969 Blackhawk .357 frame fits perfect. Since it has .45 Colt loops I think it was made for a three screw Ruger modified for fast draw. What do you think? This rig is like new and I won't put a gun in it. It was shipped by Stallone without the "prong" on the buckle. Guess he didn't want anyone putting it on and shoving a gun in it.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Very nice rig. Do you collect?
Not a fast draw competition rig but a Buscadero style western rig as was invented for and used in TV westerns.
Real fast draw rigs are not hung that low and the holsters bucket is metal lined,canted muzzle forward, and a very loose fit so the gun can be cocked and cylinder rotated while still in the holster. Often they have a strap and buckle to tie down to the leg and a deflector plate made into the holster to deflect any round fired while the gun is still in the holster. Fast/quick draw competition rigs are a different
animal altogether.
Your rig is a very collectable piece for sure. As for value, I have no idea but I would guess it to be in the $500 + category to the right person. Do you have any paper work to go along with it, Sales receipt etc.???

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
Very nice rig. Do you collect?
Not a fast draw competition rig but a Buscadero style western rig as was invented and used in TV westerns.
Real fast draw rigs are not hung that low and the holsters bucket is metal lined,canted muzzle forward, and a very loose fit so the gun can be cocked and cylinder rotated while still in the holster. Often they have a strap and buckle to tie down to the leg and a deflector plate made into the holster to deflect any round fired while the gun is still in the holster. Fast/quick draw competition rigs are a different
animal altogether.
Your rig is a very collectable piece for sure. As for value, I have no idea but I would guess it to be in the $500 + category to the right person. Do you have any paper work to go along with it, Sales receipt etc.???
I have a couple Ojalas. But you are correct about fast draw competitors and the holsters they use. Alfonso's are still super popular for that. But the other versions you are talking about. This one is metal lined the entire length of the holster. The Ojalas just around the cylinder and over the top. No serious fast draw guy would ever use an Ojala, but I like them because of their use on TV and the movies from the late 50s-late 60's mostly. A new plain Alfonso costs around $475 right now.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Cool Friend, I agree with all you said. Your rig would be great for Cowboy Fast Draw.
I shoot CAS and there are several clubs within driving distance that also have CAS matches but no Cowboy Fast Draw matches that I know of in the area.
This is the closest thing to fast draw that I make.

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
Cool Friend, I agree with all you said. Your rig would be great for Cowboy Fast Draw.
I shoot CAS and there are several clubs within driving distance that also have CAS matches but no Cowboy Fast Draw matches that I know of in the area.
This is the closest thing to fast draw that I make.
Very nice rig you have. Here's the Ojala I bought in 1985. I made my son a mini Ojala back then. Yeah, he's lefty, too. Also a brown older Ojala holster I bought for $16, cleaned up, then made a matching belt (well, as close as I could get) for it using my other one for a pattern.

caryc

Hawkeye
Here's a pic of my Mernicle built FD4 fast draw rig. It has the stainless liner and the deflector plate at the bottom. Yeah, I'm also a lefty. I love this rig. That's actually not one of my fast draw guns in it. It's just a little too large for that holster but I had just made those grips and had them on my Vaquero when I took the picture. I think Bob Mernickle liked the picture too. It's on his site on his Customer Photos page. :wink:

Your Stallone rig is also a great looking piece. Just curious what waist size is it?

F-TH.jpg

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
caryc said:
Here's a pic of my Mernicle built FD4 fast draw rig. It has the stainless liner and the deflector plate at the bottom. Yeah, I'm also a lefty. I love this rig. That's actually not one of my fast draw guns in it. It's just a little too large for that holster but I had just made those grips and had them on my Vaquero when I took the picture. I think Bob Mernickle liked the picture too. It's on his site on his Customer Photos page. :wink:

Your Stallone rig is also a great looking piece. Just curious what waist size is it?

F-TH.jpg
Now there's a true fast draw rig. My waist size is 34", so I think mine would fit a 32" waist perfectly around the hips. but I'll never wear it. Alfonso says now that they would charge three times what I paid for it to make it today. So I'll sit on it a while.

caryc

Hawkeye
Wyatt Burp said:
caryc said:

F-TH.jpg
Now there's a true fast draw rig. My waist size is 34", so I think mine would fit a 32" waist perfectly around the hips. but I'll never wear it. Alfonso says now that they would charge three times what I paid for it to make it today. So I'll sit on it a while.

Don't blame you a bit. I decided this one was too pretty to dirty up with black powder soot, so I have two more Mernickle FD4's. :mrgreen: