RUGER SPEED SIX QUESTION

Help Support Ruger Forum:

texasfish

Bearcat
wife just inherited a speed six stainless 2 3/4" that is in very good shape. wondering the quality of these as it seems very solid. I own several ruger semi autos that have all been great over the years and just trying to decide if I will keep the speed six as I have no other guns in this caliber and the safe is full plus I was curious if you can still get parts for them. new to the site so sorry if this has been asked before. any comments would be greatly appreciated. do not see a place for attachments or I would post some pictures. much thanks from the lone star state

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
First , welcome to the Forum. That Speed Six is a keeper. I have owned several of the Six series and never a hint of problems . Battle ship strong and very reliable . I don't think you will ever need parts with normal use . Enjoy it and let us know how she shoots.

Terry T

Buckeye
Excellent gun for your wife (or any of us, for that matter). If she's a little recoil shy, just use the .38 spl. loads, otherwise, the .357 mag. 125 gr. JHP is the best defense load available.
If my wife inherited one, I would not be allowed to make a keep or sell choice! :shock: It would be hers, period!
Terry T

texasfish

Bearcat
thanks terry t, im fortunate to have a range right down the road so I took my wife and the speed six over there and put 75 rounds of 38 sp and 25 rounds of 38 sp plus p and im going to be making room for that gun for sure. for a 2 3/4" barrel it was very accurate in double action out to 10 and 15 yards with both 38 loads. must be the weight because it felt really balanced in both of our hands. I actually like the wood grips but a guy at the range told me I needed to get a tyler grip adapter. I will do a little research on those but if anyone has any info on those please let me know and also where I can get one. thanks again

If you and your wifes hands fit there is no reason to get the Tyler adapter. If you have larger hands the Tylers will help fill the hand but you can also get replacement grips that are larger if you want/need.

As for parts, they are scarce but can be obtained, remember they stopped making the Six series in the late 80's. I can tell you that Ruger has next to no parts for these guns any more. You can find some at Numrich (egunparts.com) and possibly the gun forums and even eBay at times.

Treated right this gun will outlast several generations of shooters.

texasfish

Bearcat
Ron I think I'm going to try and talk my wife into making the speed six my gun I liked it so much. The wood grips are just a tad small is the reason I would like to get some info on the tyler adapter and the fact that I like the way the original wood grips look. Either way it definitely is a keeper. Thanks

Terry T

Buckeye
"Texasfish",
I've tried the Tyler grip adapters and find the finger groves just don't line up for my hand.
I really like the Pachmayr Presentation RSS/C Round butt rubber grip on my Speed Sixs. Just works for my hand.

Here's a set on E-bay with a photo so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-SPEED-SIX-Grips-Pachmayr-Presentation-RSS-C-Round-butt-New-Old-Stock-GUN-/281396945680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418490a310

Grips are a very personal choice and you might have to try a couple before you find the right combination.
Terry T

I have tried Tyler adapters and they just don't work for me. I also dont like the factory grips on the six series. My big paws like bigger grips. When going to larger grips, the trigger pull seems better. I guess it is just easier to pull due to hand positioning.

Good luck talking your wife out of "her" speed six. Have her look at an LCR and she might like the lighter weight gun.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Terry T said:
"Texasfish",
I've tried the Tyler grip adapters and find the finger groves just don't line up for my hand.
I really like the Pachmayr Presentation RSS/C Round butt rubber grip on my Speed Sixs. Just works for my hand.

Here's a set on E-bay with a photo so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-SPEED-SIX-Grips-Pachmayr-Presentation-RSS-C-Round-butt-New-Old-Stock-GUN-/281396945680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418490a310

Grips are a very personal choice and you might have to try a couple before you find the right combination.
Terry T
I agree that grips a very personal choice. I had Pachmayr Compac grips on my Speed Six. I liked them quite a bit more than the OEM grips, but I prefer wood to rubber. I found some Herrett Shooting Stars that I sanded down to mimic the shape of the Pachmayr and have been completely satisfied with them:
1sdqi9.jpg

2z7hrn4.jpg

Regards,
Greg

Greg,
Nice job on those Herrets, they really look good and make the Speed look good too.

I'm the same way with grips, the Six series original wood grips are a bit smalll for me. I've gone with aftermarket and the Pachmayr Compacts are very comfortable for me and fit my hand well.

texasfish

Bearcat
greg I like the looks of the herters grips. there is a gun store up the road that I visited last night that had a used smith with a tyler t grip on it and I did not like the way the grooves lined up at all looked nice but not functional. I think I will take the speed six to the range again next week and try again with the original grips as It was pretty accurate and comfortable with my medium sized hands. im sure it wont be quite as comfortable once I shoot some 357 ammo out of it. might have to see if the pachmayrs fit my hand well

TexNekkid

Bearcat
The wood grips are just a tad small...
That sounds like your revolver is outfitted with service grips. Ruger also made larger target grips for the Six series that may fit you better. They can frequently be found in boxes of used grips at gun shows if unavailable on EBay. They can be recognized by a cut out on the bottom for the serial number.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I had a 4 inch Speed Six .357, and it was one of my best guns. It is a medium frame gun, and it will snap back with .357 loads.
Yours is a perfectly sized carry gun in my humble estimation: and yes you can get a carry holster for it.
Parts on the other hand, are surely non-existent, since the gun has been out of production for decades now.
That is an opinion and there may be sources for parts, but I would not be hopeful of it.

BTW: I had no parts breakage with mine and I fired magnum rounds out of it.
You did not mention the caliber and that can be ambiguous to old-timers like me. I believe they were produced in .38 Spec. as well, is yours a .357 or a .38?
BTW:: I am having trouble uploading an image myself. Sometimes I get it, and sometimes I don't.
But here is a link to a shot of a purty .38 Speed Six, 2 & 3/4 in barrel and all. I gets covetous just by looking at it.
http://www.gunlistings.org/image/51095/2/pistols_38_special_ruger_speed_six_revolver

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Only thing to add, the Speed Six is one of 2 guns I've ever sold that I regretted selling. Wish I had it back. Sold it and a mint condition M1 Carbine to buy a Sharps. Still have the Sharps but darn sure wish I had that Speed Six back.

Rugged as a tank, accurate and went bang everytime I pulled the trigger.

Jeff