Cleaning stainless steel guns...how often?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
I may go out and shoot maybe 20-50 rounds,depending on what gun it is,per session which is once a week or two. When using copper jacketed ammo, is it really needed to clean the barrel after every shoot?
I normally do clean them but was just wondering. I always give them a good Ballistol wipe down after
shooting and also use that for cleaning/lubing.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I treat all my guns the same. I clean both SS and blued guns as soon as time allows after use. My SS guns get cleaned and oiled just as if they were as prone to rusting
like most blued guns are.
I always wipe all the outside down with a lightly oiled rag before putting them away.
Better safe than sorry.

I am the complete oposite. I have lots of stainless revolvers and prefer them because I hate spending the time cleaning. Some often go years without a good cleaning. :shock: If they have problems like sticky cylinders, then it is time for a cleaning. I use them but don't abuse them, and when function becomes an issue they get a scrubbing otherwise back to the safe until the next outing.

COR

Blackhawk
You mean you have to feed them AND clean them? I just wipe them down with an oily rag now and again. Dab of rig on the cylinder boss when I switch to the 45 acp cylinder.... MAYBE a bore snake on special occasions...

I didn't buy an FA after all... ; )

More to your point, when is shoot jacketed I don't see much need for bore cleaning.

I'm in the wipe 'em down after shooting. More or less to get rid of any dirty fingerprints. Stainless is pretty easy to take care of. If there are any surface blemishes I use a regular scotch Brite pad from the kitchen. The green and yellow ones. They restore the finish back to a factory like finish if it isn't high gloss that is.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Chuck 100 yd said:
I treat all my guns the same. I clean both SS and blued guns as soon as time allows after use. My SS guns get cleaned and oiled just as if they were as prone to rusting
I always wipe all the outside down with a lightly oiled rag before putting them away.
Better safe than sorry.
I do the same except sometimes it might be a couple of days before they get cleaned and then it is only bore and cylinder cleaned and gun wiped down. Maybe once a year I give them a more thorough cleaning if the gun is shot a lot.

DLHamblin

Bearcat
Typically when I shoot its 100-200 rounds per gun. So I clean my GP100 (or what ever gun I have shot) when I get home. I enjoy the cleaning and gives me a chance to inspect everything. Cleaning after every session isn't required, but since I enjoy it I do it.

DGW1949

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
Chuck 100 yd said:
Better safe than sorry.
I do the same except sometimes it might be a couple of days before they get cleaned and then it is only bore and cylinder cleaned and gun wiped down. Maybe once a year I give them a more thorough cleaning if the gun is shot a lot.

What they said.
I treat 'em all the same. Blued, nickled, stainless.....they'll all get rust if neglected long enough.
I'm real anal about taking care of the bore, particularly on a rifle, and the cylinder if it's a revolver. As for a complete tear-down though...nope...about once a year on the one's that get used the most.....or maybe never, depending on it's design. My wife carries/uses an old school, nickled, S&W 36 that she's had for years. As far as I know, it's never had the side plate off because the way it's made aint exactly what I'd call "user friendly". That one has to make do with a good flushing.

DGW