Ruger's answer to S&W's new "L" 44mag????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drastic_quench

Bearcat
I really doubt it, unfortunately. I mean, where's the Ruger answer to the Judge and Governors? And those sell WAY more than a five shot 44.

drastic_quench said:
I really doubt it, unfortunately. I mean, where's the Ruger answer to the Judge and Governors? And those sell WAY more than a five shot 44.

I'd have to see pretty convincing documentation to believe that.

:mrgreen:

black029

Single-Sixer
Worked gun shows for a big NC shop from 2007 til last year. That was during the hay day of the Judge, and it was all he could do to keep up with demand. They were flying off the shelves. Being a Taurus they flew back on the shelves as used guns. Some owners didn't like the concept, some found out that Taurus is not the greatest for QC.
The Governor sold fairly well and with a stainless model added, should be around for a while. Point is, quench is more right than wrong. The .410/.45 concept likely has wider appeal than a .44 Mag 5 shot, just not to the extent he suggests.
But I could possibly see Ruger tricking out a GP100 frame for a .44 five shot before they would jump into the politically named .410 market.

I still see the .45/.410 revolvers as marketing gizmos aimed (pun) at a very specific demographic that for the most part makes purchasing decisions based on the "tacticool" image of the thing. The concept of a shotgun slug as being a massively effective defensive round is disproven when the energy of said .410 slug is compared to almost any 240/250-grain solid bullet driven at over-1000 FPS in conventional chamberings such as the .44 Mag or the .45 Colt. Similarly, the concept of a close-range shotgun "blast" is popularized by media and Hollywood with little consideration given to the actual effectiveness of the .410 round. All this has certainly driven an initial surge in popularity by a specific demographic unfamiliar with the realities of firearms performance and influenced by the marketing hype that draws heavily on media misinformation.

Now, all that said, I certainly would not want to be shot by one of these toys, but then I'd rather not be shot by any gun whatsoever. I'm merely speculating that while these specialty guns have assuredly had an immense initial popularity I'm confident they will have satisfied their limited intended market fairly soon (if not already) and will disappear from manufacturers' lineups in the not-too-distant future.

I'd similarly bet that a nicely-done 5-shot .44 Mag (or .45 Colt) would continue to have a considerable appeal over the long haul. S&W's success will surely drive Ruger in that direction.

All JMHO and worth exactly what I charge for it.

:) ;) :)

Thel

Blackhawk
I think there would be a market for a 5 shot .44 mag by a major manufacturer. The heavier 6 shot .44 and .45 revolvers are great for hunting handguns but I think there is a niche for a lighter and more compact model for those out and about in the woods or or the farm that would need something quick but not as a primary hunting weapon. I am not a fan of the later S&W models with the lock and such so would buy a Ruger in a heartbeat in a 3 or 4" bbl. model if it were to come out. I would find it easier to carry a 37-38 oz. always as opposed to a 46 oz + around.

black029

Single-Sixer
Hickock45 just posted 27 minutes with the Governor. Take from it what you will.
Maybe the market for .410/.45 revolvers has peaked or is flatlining. But the same would happen to a lightishweight 5 shot .44 Mag.

Hickock45 strikes again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a484VNz3umU&list=UUvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg

I love his efforts.

My position here is that the .410/.45 thingies will max out their markets way before the small .44 magnums. Strictly my opinion.

I don't find any gun to be "worthless" because someone will find them attractive for their own reasons. Some, however, are more attractive to me than others. Like I said, JMHO.

Anyone who likes a Governor or Judge should certainly buy one to support our firearms industries. My only recommendation would be to first examine the actual performance of the things and one's anticipated use for it. Personally, I wish one of my friends would buy one so I could shoot it!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Joe in Fl said:
Wonder if Ruger will come up with a smaller framed 44Mag? I could see
a 5 shot GP series. Bring it on!
Joe

With Ruger offering the Blackhawk in 41 or 44 mag with 4 5/8" barrel I would have no use for a GP100 44. I would prefer the SA.

YMMV

black029

Single-Sixer
Well, I have a Governor. Got it used from that buddy that runs the shop at a great price, which helped. I viewed it as a dead-of-night instant response weapon. The big night front is great for that. It also can be fitted with Pachmayr K/L Compac Pro's which translates into the best fit for my little paws, as my wife calls them. They're not that little...... Anyway, using Winchester PDX1 .410 loads (which is three 000 buckshot sized discs backed by twelve BB-sized pellets, at 7 yards there is a deadly 12 inch grouping of said components. It would be a fist sized clump at 10-15 feet. And in a 30 ounce gun, it is borderline harsh. Traditional .410 shotshells are mellow by comparison. The .45 Colt and ACP rounds shoot well enough, although I have a Redhawk and 2 Colt 1911's that are better platforms. And it it fitted and finished impeccably with a big ol' hammer spur to latch onto, which I wish the Redhawk had.
Had S&W been the first to introduce this type of revolver I wonder if the overall perception/reception would be better, instead of being seen by many as a gimmick attempt by Taurus to make some money.
It's not for everybody. I like others of my guns much guns better. But it's not just a fun or snake gun either, when stuffed with dedicated defense loads. Maybe some misinformed people buy it expecting to reduce bad guys to mush, knocked back 6 feet by the force of impact. Of course it won't. But it hasn't got any flies on it, either, to use one of Jack O'Connor's phrases.

black029

Single-Sixer
Hey, it's a gun forum. I can't rest until I totally convince you of my idiotic way of thinking, and if not, start calling you ridiculous names :)

I'd agree that at car-jacking range there's no doubt these things would be quite effective in discouraging a bad guy. Any projectile load at ten feet or closer would do the job, even a shot load that would, at that range, be essentially a small wad of pellets. We could make the point that lightweight bird shot or even the "buck" loads or a slug would likely not have the penetration ability of a single 200+ grain bullet, but the deterrent factor would likely be adequate. A half-ounce of #6 birdshot in the face would certainly get immediate notice.

As DB points out, the "just point it" approach can work quite nicely at handshake ranges, even if the user doesn't realize that there's absolutely zero actual "spread" up close . . . they'd accomplish the same thing with a conventional handgun, with the assurance of a full-penetration effect. If they completely miss the target with a single bullet it's pretty certain they'd have missed with the "tiny shotgun" as well.

I'll say one thing . . . the .410/.45 revolvers were brilliantly conceived and marketed. Taurus hit one out of the park with it, to the extent that even S&W saw fit to get in on the action, and that's saying something. And ya gotta admit the "cool" factor, even if you're not impressed by it.

;)

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
3,487,883 PISTOLS produced in 2012.

667,357 REVOLVERS produced in 2012.

Add in imported Glocks, XD's, etc. and the revolver market shrinks even further.

https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf-files/afmer_2012_final_web_report_17jan2014.pdf

And I will wager a huge number of the revolvers were snub 38's. NAA produced 54,511 of their little pocket guns.

Thinking that a 5 shot medium sized revolver in 44 magnum is going to be a huge seller is a fantasy. Sales will not even come close the the 410 revolver which has two markets - self defense and those terrified of snakes. Furthermore, 44 magnum handguns are not ***huge*** sellers. Damn few people can shoot a 44 worth doodly squat.

IMHO

Jim Luke said:
Ale-8(1) said:
Personally, I wish one of my friends would buy one so I could shoot it!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I just don't want my money in one.

I totally agree, beside anyone ever find out just how far any 410 shot has to go before it ( the pattern/group ) "opens up" to be worthwhile or even useful ??????
all I know is the Charter 44 has been around for a long , was never a big seller around here, and I have always been a fan of ANY caliber in a less than 'magnum' loading, so yes, the GP100 in say a 3 in and a 44 special would 'interest' me.............BUT how many would they actual sell to make it worthwhile???

Latest posts