SP101's, whatcha got?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tascofeldman

Bearcat
I just acquired my first SP101 and am looking for advice (I know how dangerous that is). It's the 2-1/2" with spurred hammer and factory stocks, 2010 model. Am planning to add it to my carry rotation so what mods or tweeks are suggested. I really like the Badger boot grips but torn on the wood. Eagle makes some nice ones as well. Turn it loose and feel free to add pics please!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have three, 2 1/2" .38 sp. (first year production) 3" .357 and a 4" 8 shot .22.
I have the Hogue grips on all three. They fit my hand best and I don`t use them for
concealed carry although they are an ideal gun for that purpose, I just collect them and carry a 1911 CMD.

78CJ5

Bearcat
I have four SP101's a 4" .22 6 shot first year production. a 3" .357 a 2" .357 with hammer spur and a 2" DAO with out the hammer spur.

luvmyRugers

Single-Sixer
Prior to the tragic boat accident, I had 2 SP's. Both were 2.5" with hammer spurs and Hogue grips. Can't beat the Hogues IMHO.

Arky

Single-Sixer
I have the SP101 3 in. I carry it in a Simply Rugged Pancake holster for everyday and in a small minimalist for concealed carry. However I carry a Kahr CW40 IWB more often for concealed carry. The SP is carried around my place though. I have a shot shell up first in warm weather.

Pale Horse

Bearcat
I have two now. A 3" in .327 Fed Mag and a 4" six shot .22lr. The SP101 is a great sized revolver and I'm jonesing for a 3" .357 mag now too.

I have a Simply Rugged pancake for the 3" and will order one for my 4" this weekend.

drastic_quench

Bearcat
3" 357 with hammer, factory grip with Chig's panels, SR pancake & pouch for speed strips for carry.

That factory grip doesn't get enough love. Nice and small, and classes up for cheap with exotic wood inserts. I came to the SP from a 44 mag Bisley Hunter, so shooting full house 357b through it is a nice step down in recoil. A hard rubber grip is still a rubber grip, compared to steel, it's babytown frolicks.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have had 3 over the years so far.
29cvwr8.jpg

This is a 2.25 in 38 Special with Letts style Fancy Grips by Altamont. It has a Gemini Customs Little Wonder front sight with Red Fiber Optic insert. It has been tuned to perfection, and has both Springs and a Full Shim Package.
2z49x5k.jpg

Business view of the Little Wonder front sight in Red
2e1y4vk.jpg

SP101 in a Rocky Hill Leather Pancake. Also shown is a Big Creek Kydex Speed Loader Carrier with a J Frame/SP101 Jet Loader in it.

iqwimh.jpg

A 3.06 inch SP101 in 357 Magnum. Again with Letts Style Fancy Grips by Altamont. She has Hammer & Trigger Shims, and Springs. This one has the Gemini Customs Little Wonder front sight in Green Fiber Optic. Holster is again a Rocky Hill Leather Pancake.

dmpcfr.jpg

Rear view of the Gemini Customs Little Wonder sight in Green.

My 2 Cents
The SP101 is a little heavy for pocket carry. Get a good leather Pancake holster, and you will love it.
I recommend keeping a reload with you when you conceal carry. The J Frame Jet Loader is a perfect fit for the SP101. I know of a couple sources for them, Power Custom, and Pistoleer. I make the Big Creek Speed Loader Carriers for them. I have started carrying my reload on my Left side just behind centerline and my Cel Phone infront of it. If I carry 2 reloads the other one goes infront of the holster strong side. For BUG Matchs I carry 2 infront of the holster, and the third weak side behind center. The Jet Loaders are a little salty, but worth every penny. They are small, and lightning fast to reload with. It is basicly a Competition Speed Loader made for concealed carry. I have I believe 10 of them for Match Use.

The SP101 needs a little TLC, just like any other quality revolver.

Read this a couple times:
http://www.sp101trigger.com/index.html
This is about as good a guide as I know of for slicking one up.

Below is the link for Trigger Shims. They also carry the Spring Kits. Might as well get both at one time and save on shipping.
http://triggershims.com/ruger_double_action.html

You need a few tools to work on one. Someone on this site sells a home made Plunger Tool. It is very handy for removing the Trigger Guard. No instructions to use it provided. Remove the Hammer and insert the plunger tool through that opening from the top. Works very well.
Drill Bits: Get the Hex Head one for a Quick Attach Chuck. They give you a good gripping surface to turn them BY HAND. I have 1/4", 13/64, 3/32, and 5/64. That should take care of the SP101 as well as the GP100. Use the bits to debur and slick up all the drilled holes BY HAND ONLY.

You will need a Feeler Gage to determine what shims to install. I normally use a .005 on the Hammer, and .003 for the Trigger. I used .005 Hammer Dog shims on the 2.25 Inch Older SP101. They would not fit on the brand new production 3.06 SP101.

I do a lot of my polishing with Wet or Dry sand paper glued to craft pop sickel sticks. I start out with the Rough Stuff 400 grit, and then go to 800 and 1000. Check the auto body isle at Wal Mart for the sand paper. I believe they keep it down to something like 2000, but I have never went that fine so far.
Also a good Arkansas Stone to polish flats on, like the sides of the Hammer, Trigger, and Hammer Dog.

NOTE: about the Hammer Dog. Do not mix up the Hammer Dog Spring. It is the same size as one of the trigger group spring.

GO SLOW just slick things up, DO NOT Change the shape of anything.

Some whine about the weight of an SP101. I also have a 442 Pro that is light weight. Its in the gun safe. I daily carry the SP101. It is heavy enough to Shoot Well. That cannot be said about an Airweight revolver. Airweights are not fun to shoot at all, and are hard to shoot well.

Enjoy your SP101. You might even add to the herd. They have made them in 22, 32 H&R, 327 Federal, and 9mm over the years.
I foolishly traded off my 2.25 Inch 9mm years ago before the internet, and an endless number of custom holster makers were at my finger tips. I now have a 2.25 Inch 22 on my want list for a practice snub to go with my LCR22.

Bob R

deac45

Single-Sixer
I have a first year 3" 38Spcl. It wears the factory grip and has a Meprolight front sight. I tried a Hogue grip on it but actually prefer the factory grip. The Meprolight greatly improved the sight picture in all conditions. I'm currently using an Uncle Mike's belt slide holster but looking for some good leather for it. I'm really leaning toward a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar.

Deac45

Terry T

Buckeye
They are a bit addictive! :oops:
(I think there's 18 hiding in the safe now.)

And that's just trying to stay with in the first 20 years of production. :shock:
Terry T

tascofeldman

Bearcat
Thank's y'all!! I really appreciate the tips and pics! I'm leaning towards keeping the factory grip and adding character with some nice panels. Was really surprised as how fun to shoot and manageable it is with even .357's. I have ordered a shim kit and am debating the springs. I'm wondering if a reduced tension spring would be a liability if the gun was used in a sd situation. Thanks for the links as well. DA is not bad but there seems to be a grittiness at the break in SA. I already have the stones but will add the bits. It does appear that an addiction is beginning to form. Thanks again!

Terry T,
That is quite the collection. Very nice displays.

tascofeldman
I would shoot and dry fire some more and then decide if you need the springs. If so, I wouldn't worry about any liabilities. No one could tell they were changed. I like the looks of custom panels as well. Good way to personalize YOUR gun.