Finally Scored a Lipsey’s Vaquero 44 Special Sheriff

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
Very good price! Only 506 made, according to Chad.
I bought one when they first came out - paid more than that! :shock:
Terry T

stevemb

Hunter
Yup, a deal you'll enjoy. I often pack mine when it gets cool enough to add a layer. In the hills it gets packed at camp, when hiking/fishing and such. Three am trips to the outhouse, oh yeah.

Rclark

Hunter
I have one, a { New } Vaquero of course. Shoots well now that I had the barrel turned so it shoots straight. Only problem I am still dealing with is it shoots way high. Of course as a belly gun that isn't a problem so I keep it around, but still :) .

RugerVaquero44spec_zpse3cec3a8.jpg

Let us know how your's shoots!

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
RClark,

I gave it the "eye" test and it passed. I shot it and its accurate as expected at 15 feet, which is all I wanted for the day.

The "eye test" is my way of bore sighting. I stand a few yards back from a full length mirror, I fix the sight on my weak eye in the mirror and see if I'm staring down the barrel.

Rclark

Hunter
I shot it and its accurate as expected at 15 feet, which is all I wanted for the day.
I like to be 'on' at least out to 75 yards. So whether 5Y or 75Y, I want to 'hit' what I aim at :) . Just me though! Like to get a blued one too some day (ying and yang). But not a high priority.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
RClark, what kind of 44 special bullets are you using that hit the same point of aim on fixed vaquero sights at 5 and 75 yards?

My point was, it shoots straight.

Added: I shot it again today at 7 yards taking my time using 200gr Blaser Gold Dot HP, its "one hole" at POA. This is the round I like and the distance I'm satisfied with.

etdbob

Bearcat
LuckenbachTexas said:
You mean a fella can own two? I best get to lookin!

Oh yeah, I got my two -

SAM_2453.jpg

I use 'em for cowboy action shooting, backpacking, open carry about town and what-not. They've always shot bang on for me. I've seldom shot 'em at 50 yards though. Short sight radius and my eyes being what they are.

I use a 200 grain RNFP cast of wheel weights from a Lee mold, no resizing.
I use 6 or 7 grains of Unique powder and a standard primer. The 7 grain charge throws 'em at near 1,000 fps out of this little gun!
I've tried heavier bullets but found I simply prefer the lighter 200 grain slugs.

I've also loaded some 200 grain Hornady XTP hollow points with seven grains for social work. A little slower than the cast, and maybe dumps a little more energy into the target, but who an I kidding? they will still over penetrate any bad guy from any angle. Gotta be careful If I ever use this thang in town.

I think there were what, 510 of the blued ones made?
And I'll probably be buried with mine...Unless one of my nephews steals 'em...

Rclark

Hunter
RClark, what kind of 44 special bullets are you using that hit the same point of aim on fixed vaquero sights at 5 and 75 yards?
Just noticed your post! I like 240g SWC under 7.5g of Unique (the Skeeter load). Note that mine shoots high.. But I put a bit of JB-weld up front, filed, and got it fire at POA at 25Y. Works out at 75Y too and of course at 5Y as well (actually, I don't think I've ever shot that close... 7 Yards has been the 'minimum') ....

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rclark said:
I have one, a { New } Vaquero of course. Shoots well now that I had the barrel turned so it shoots straight. Only problem I am still dealing with is it shoots way high. Of course as a belly gun that isn't a problem so I keep it around, but still :) .

RugerVaquero44spec_zpse3cec3a8.jpg

Let us know how your's shoots!

Because it's a stainless gun, your remedies are easy:

1. Ruger's taller front blade option installed locally.
2. Ruger will fix it on their dime if you call them for free postage paid tag. If your front sight is canted from turning the barrel, they'll fix that too. Or you can straighten back up and file one side or the other, depending on which way it shoots, of the rear sight notch to center point of impact.
3. Or you can polish down the top of the frame over the rear sight notch; effectively lowering the rear sight which will lower the point of bullet impact. Doesn't take much.

Latest posts