what would ya'll do?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have a blue service six, it had just a few minor little specks of rust on the cylinder here and there which i've got smooth and i am keeping it oiled. my wife sold some things we didn't need anymore today and split the money with me which brings me to my question. i asked my local shop that has a sp101 he said he would take my service six and $250.00 for it or $350.00 boot on a gp100. my service six is tight on lockup, smooth trigger and dead on accurate out to 20yds which is the farthest i've shot it. i've also got every spare part for it as springs, plungers, pawl, bar ect. i thought about getting ammo and my ccw but thought i would ask this question, the one thing that bothers me is i've got a great gun already and by trading i've heard of new guns having problems even tho it's just a few. if i trade i won't be able to get ammo or ccw but i have 300rds already. so what would ya'll do? trade to a new ruger or keep the service six and get ammo and my ccw? thanks for any help.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Love the one you're with. Why trade off a gun you're comfortable with for the new blonde on the block? Just save up for a little on the side. :wink:

Can you clarify? You want the SP101. The dealer wants your nice service six plus 250? Is that right? Seems like a lot.

And what does 350 boot on a gp 100 mean? Do you mean a gp 100 plus 350 for the SP101? That still seems like a lot.

SP-101's are nice, but not that much nicer. I would keep what ya got. Get the CCW, and practice. If in the future you think you need something different save up and get the SP. You didn't mention the barrel length of the Service six? I had a stainless steel Security Six with a 2 3/4 inch barrel that I sold- buyers remorse.
gramps

Snake45

Hawkeye
GunnyGene said:
Love the one you're with. Why trade off a gun you're comfortable with for the new blonde on the block?
Agree completely. You'd be taking it in the shorts on that deal.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
my service six is a 4 inch barrel, he wants my gun and 250 for the sp or my gun and 350 for the gp. i can't afford to buy the sp straight out, the trade or keep what i have is it at the moment. thanks

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
boomer92266 said:
my service six is a 4 inch barrel, he wants my gun and 250 for the sp or my gun and 350 for the gp. i can't afford to buy the sp straight out, the trade or keep what i have is it at the moment. thanks

Be patient. Save up. Salesmen love impatient customers. Either of the 2 you're contemplating ain't gonna disappear in the next few years.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
do ya'll think another cylinder would drop right in my gun or would it have to be fitted? also has anyone ever tried this stuff BLUE WONDER ARMADILLO GUN & METAL RUST PREVENTATIVE. thanks

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
The SP101 I bought NIB I got for $525 out the door. I would think you could find one for the same price if not even a little better.
What price does he have on his?
And I'm pretty sure your service six is worth more then $275.

dougader

Hunter
I'd keep the Service Six, too. His offer in trade is really low for you. Besides, I actually think you have the better gun of the 3 mentioned.

hittman

Staff member
..... or, post pics here of the Service Six and let us know what you want for it! ......

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
That's a horrible deal he's offering you. Keep the Six and save up a bit more and get the SP101 or LCR.

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
SweetWilliam said:
The SP101 I bought NIB I got for $525 out the door. I would think you could find one for the same price if not even a little better.
What price does he have on his?
And I'm pretty sure your service six is worth more then $275.

I just paid the same OTD for my SP101. Your math is correct.

No one mentions you can counter offer. And the first time you slid you hand to that special place on a hot blonde....well, it's often worth it! Do you want a new gun? Do you want anything in life? Well, go get it!

The SP101 is a beautiful gun. Love both of mine.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
The gunshop isn't there to offer fair trades. He's out to make money. I think his trade offer is about the best you could expect from most gunshops. It's kind of like trading vehicles. You can sell your car then buy a new one or trade and know you're coming out on the losing end. Just like the car business, the gunshop will make more money on a trade than they do a straight sale.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Are you sure that you would be comfortable with the SP as a carry gun? They are nice guns but, you are paying +$500.00 for a 26 ounce gun that holds five shots and doesn't have the greatest trigger pull in the world. If you have to trade or sell the Service Six I suspect the SP may be your only defensive handgun. For just the difference in price that the dealer is asking you to pay there are alot of respectable guns out there, especially in the used market.

I speak from experience here, I used to have a 3" SP-101. I sold it when I discovered that my S&W 10-5 was just as easy to carry and a much better shooter.