Just looked at............and will keep what I have

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Just came back to the office from Cabela's. I looked at a 4" Redhawk, a 5" Toklat and a 5" Magnum Research, in both .44 Magnum and .454 Casull. All were right at, or close to $1,000 or a little more. Of the 3, the Toklat was pretty cool but I wasn't crazy about the slab-sided barrel, I think it should have been round, with maybe flutes in it. I did not like at all the rubber grips on the Redhawk. I currently have a 4" Model 29 and a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk and after looking at the above three guns have decided to keep them both and not trade, or buy one outright. Either is plenty powerful for what I will ever use them for, reasonably compact, easy to carry and great shooters. If I want to shoot something a bit hotter than factory loads I'll grab the SBH. For deer I'd grab either one, for bear it would be the SBH. Rugers are nice, but that Magnum Research is quite a machine.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I have almost enough too. I've been more particular in recent times. For the most part I use the same favorites all the time.

Even prices on used, local guns seem to high for me.

Snake45

Hawkeye
If someone gave me a gift certificate for anything in the current S&W catalog, I'd have trouble finding anything I wanted--even for free. I'd prolly pick what I thought would be the best "swap bait," and then trade it for some good OLD gun of some kind. :?

Snake45 said:
If someone gave me a gift certificate for anything in the current S&W catalog, I'd have trouble finding anything I wanted--even for free. I'd prolly pick what I thought would be the best "swap bait," and then trade it for some good OLD gun of some kind. :?

For the most part that statement can describe me as well. But there are a couple things I couldn't turn down. A 5 inch .460, or ANY S&W 686 or 629 would be acceptable. I already have a Ruger SBH Hunter and S&W 629 Performance Center. So I'm set on .44s, at least for now.

I traded off my 6 inch GP100 a while back. I had the choice between the 4 and 6 and chose the 6. If I could do it all over again, it would probably be a 4. I really like that new Ruger GP100 Match Champion! Excited to get mine.

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:

+1 me too, i dont like anything they make now, i rather have an old smith as well, those performance center guns are fugly.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
montegomx70 said:
Snake45 said:

+1 me too, i dont like anything they make now, i rather have an old smith as well, those performance center guns are fugly.
Yup, Stevie Wonder could design a prettier revolver than the Performance Center.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
You can send those gift certificates to me! :mrgreen: I don't care for the locks. But they are easily disabled. Outside of the LCR, Smith DAs are generally superior to Rugers, IMHO. Feel free to disagree with me.

But I agree about the ugliness of the performance center line. About the only way to make them uglier would be to add jeweling.

Snake45

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I like the unique... "Not half-lug, not "full-lug" but rather more of a "tapered-lug", for the lack of a better term.

Ugh! You can have all mine. That thing looks like it should be in a sci-fi space opera. And a real low-budget one, too.

I think the people now designing S&Ws are the same people who designed Parks water pistols when I was a kid.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
As far as SW goes I'm kind of liking the 5 shot 69.It felt good in my hand at the store.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Whichwatch I was in the Kansas City store last Wednesday 23 July 2014, and also looked at the same revolvers. I believe I looked at a Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 also. I tend to agree about the Toklat's looks. It might grow on you if you carryed it some.
A 480 Ruger Alaskan would be higher on my list of "Want Revolvers".
I also looked at a 2.25, and a 3.06 Inch SP101 in 357 Magnum. They had more desirable revolvers on the shelf than I have seen in a couple years.

Bob R

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Bob R said:
Whichwatch I was in the Kansas City store last Wednesday 23 July 2014, and also looked at the same revolvers. I believe I looked at a Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 also. I tend to agree about the Toklat's looks. It might grow on you if you carryed it some.
A 480 Ruger Alaskan would be higher on my list of "Want Revolvers".
I also looked at a 2.25, and a 3.06 Inch SP101 in 357 Magnum. They had more desirable revolvers on the shelf than I have seen in a couple years.

Bob R

Hi Bob, I guess I ate my words. I had no plans to buy the Toklat, then I got to thinking, it's a gun that really needs to go to Alaska in my opinion. When some bear hunter, or wannabe bear hunter realizes he needs one to take hunting and does not have one and can't find one, well guess what, I have one. I bought it, plan on keeping it in unfired condition and selling when the time is right. I have the Model 29 and SBH already and really don't have a use for the .454. At this point in my life probably the biggest, meanest thing I may get around to hunting would be black bear and the .44 will do just fine. It is from the Cabela's in Kansas City, you're right, the revolver selection is pretty good right now. I'm a died in the wool revolver guy so that is what I tend to gravitate to when out looking.
I looked at the Magnum Research and standard SRH but thought the Toklat may be the most desirable by others. When the time comes to sell it I may tell the buyer it was only fired at the factory AND the 6 times I shot it. I figure as long as I own one I may as well try it out. Cabela's nor Bass Pro had ammo for it in stock.

smith1961

Blackhawk
Kyhunt said:
As far as SW goes I'm kind of liking the 5 shot 69.It felt good in my hand at the store.

+1 on that brother! Makes one wonder why they don't make an L-frame .41 mag. Taurus seems to sell those tracker models plenty?
:(

Snake45

Hawkeye
smith1961 said:
Kyhunt said:

+1 on that brother! Makes one wonder why they don't make an L-frame .41 mag. Taurus seems to sell those tracker models plenty?
:(
I've wondered that since Day One of the L-frame's life. Why build a .41-sized gun and then never offer it in .41? Or at least in 10mm/.40 set up for those handy little snowflake clips. :? :? :?