The Weigand no-drill scope mount and a GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
I recently mounted a Weigand No-Drill scope rail atop my 6" SS GP100, and found that the back of the mount interferes with hammer removal and reassembly. It may only be a slight amount, but I have to constantly wiggle the hammer around until it finally comes out (or goes in). It looks like I'd have to cut a piece of the mount off to facilitate this, and was wondering if anyone else here has had this problem.

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
RoninPA said:
Have you tried pulling the trigger back a bit when trying to remove the hammer? This give the hammer more room to move and it should come right out.

I strip the gun down for cleaning every time I shoot it, and never had any trouble taking it apart until I put the scope mount on it.
The stepped area at the top of the hammer (that clears the transfer bar) rubs slightly on the scope mount, preventing any further forward movement. Same when trying to put the hammer back in. I'm just going to slice about an 1/8" piece off the back of the rail and be done with it.
I was just wondering if anyone else had this difficulty.

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
I sat down last night and prepared for the "operation" by again trying to easily remove the hammer, but without success. I took the mount off the gun and slowly began shaving a little off the back end with a stationary disc sander and trying the hammer after each attempt. At one point, I was stymied when the hammer got REALLY STUCK, with the trigger stuck all the way back, and had a frightening time trying to free everything up without bending or breaking something. That was the last straw. Using a hacksaw, I cut off the last 'knuckle' of the picatinny and then filed and polished the end smooth.

I don't know exactly how little I could have gotten away removing, but suffice to say that with that 1/8" of metal gone, the hammer drops in and out with no trouble.

Latest posts