Single Six Project Gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

32shooter

Blackhawk
I purchased this gun several months ago and I have always wanted a two tone Ruger so I thought this would be the perfect gun for the project as it was drilled and tapped. I plugged the holes with some screws and cut them off and stoned it and slapped on some cold blue. Didn't turn out quite as well as I would have liked but good enough for this old shooter.

Then I used Hondo's tip and used oven cleaner to strip the grip frame and cleaned and polished it. Slapped on some grips I picked up from another forum member and this is what I ended up with. Decided to leave the ejector rod housing blue for now. The gun had been converted and would only fire about half of the time. I installed original parts and gun functions fine now.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I keep thinking about the possibility of a two toned gun. But I'd like the frame and grip frame silver with blued cylinder, barrel, and ejector housing. Also acid etch the frame with some kind of scroll design, and fit with black plastic grips. Sort of emulating the old Remingtons (Ubertis) of days gone by recently.

Bob Wright

That does look nice. Was the oven cleaner trick easy to do? Really, just oven cleaner?

I have a bisley single six that came like that from the factory. Stainless grip frame and blued everything else. Two tone guns are nice looking.

32shooter

Blackhawk
Thanks guys. Yes the oven cleaner worked well. Spray it on let it soak and wipe it off. Did this several times and then polish it out. Was not as bad as I was anticipating.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
32shooter that came out extremely nice looking. Bravo!

Plugging threaded holes so they don't show works best with peening. Cut off the screws leaving them sticking out of the holes just a bit high. Then with a small ball peen hammer, peen the ends of the screws so the metal 'flows' into the threads for a seamless plug after sanding and polishing flush.

32shooter

Blackhawk
Thanks Jim. I did try to peen them over, but did not do a very good job of it. Used a hammer and a flat punch. Maybe next time. The oven cleaner worked very well for stripping the frame. Thanks for the tip.