Redhawk History ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Greg_M

Bearcat
I continue my search for a Redhawk 45 SS 5.5"

Is there a page or does anyone have a pictoral history of the Ruger Redhawk?
Just wondering if there have been any design/manufacturing changes since they were introduced, which might affect my search.
Thanks
G

hittman

Staff member
Subscribe to RENE. There's a "Sticky" about it here in the Auctions and Recurring Deals section I believe.

There's a bunch of double action lovers here who know way more than I do. Terry T, Wayno, lovemydals, WMG, Contender, etc ...... somebody will be along soon I'm sure to help.

black029

Single-Sixer
The Redhawk has stayed almost the same since 1979/1980, I believe. The "hook" on the hammer assembly went from face down to face up, and the channel for the hammer pivot pin has changed from side to side a few times. The lug housing the ejector rod went from a blunt S&W profile to a longish taper. There could be some other tweaks, but none would affect the search for a 5.5" .45 Colt. It is probably not super rare (although it could be), but you may have a long search on your hands.

black029

Single-Sixer
Put a WTB in the classifieds. Stalk Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, other forums. Suppose you're already doing all that.

trapperon

Blackhawk
black029 is correct in that the 5.5 45 colt has but a single variation. I think the most noticeable change is the first redhawks with the short squared off underlug and narrower rib. Blued ones are very handsome and stand out as well. production on the blued ones has ended quite awhile ago.

The 5.5 45 colt you speak of has to be tied for my favorite version along with a 5.5 44 blued.

don't give up!!

Ron