question on oiling, how often and how much?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
as most know i have a ruger service six blued, it had some small frecks of rust on cylinder that i have got smooth. i carry this gun nearly everyday around my home, on my property and open carry here in kentucky in public. a friend of mine told me that to keep any rust off a blue gun i need to take a cloth and put on pure silicone grease and add oil either barricade which i have or other gun oil. he said it would make a thick paste that would stay on longer to stop rust. seems to me it would attract dirt and dust. i have had guns for over 30yrs and have never had a rust problem but this is my first gun that i have bought with rust that i had to remove. do i just treat it like my other guns?, i use barricade on a cloth and just lightly go over them weekly. should i do it more often to my six since it's had rust removed? use the paste idea or am i oiling too much? thanks for any help.

hittman

Staff member
boomer92266 said:
do i just treat it like my other guns?

Yes.

Pro-Shot in Taylorville, IL. makes a "silicone cloth"; and many other products. After a thorough cleaning I give my guns a quick wipe with their silicone cloth and put the gun back in the safe or holster.

Jim Puke

Hunter
For my blue guns, which I don't carry daily, I usually wipe them down after I handle them. Nothing really detailed, just go over with a CLP dampened cloth.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
I have a piece of lamb's wool that I squeezed a tube of RIG on and I use that to wipe down all my firearms with. Periodically I add a little grease. I keep the wool in a ziplock bag on the top shelf of my gun cabinet. Works great at keeping my guns rust free. I learned this trick from a pawn shop owner in my home down.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I used to use a Midway USA product called Rust Guard. It was the best rust preventative I ever found, A spray can lasted for a loooong time and very light coats wiped off did it. Sadly, they discontinued the line for whatever reason.

Now I just use Rem Oil in the spray can. I have never seen a rust spot on any gun for many years. Rem Oil works great. I would wipe my gun down whenever I checked it or every few days for a blued carry gun.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Hi,
For a blued gun exposed to weather, I put a hard wax coat on it, let it dry and polish lightly. I use Renaissance wax polish (you can get it on amazon). Oil just gets absorbed off by gunleather, clothing etc.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I usually just use a slightly oily rag to wipe down my guns. I tried a silicone cloth on a couple of guns once and when I went to the range I could hardly keep from dropping them they were so slippery. :D

jsh

Single-Sixer
Ditto to the wax and it will stay on pretty good.
Silicone does work but don't get caught on the rain and try to use it. Worse than a wet bar of soap. Used it one time on my shot gun while duck hunting in the rain. Never again.
Jeff

pisgah

Buckeye
I keep an old T-shirt lightly sprayed with CLP stored in a Ziploc bag. Any time I handle a blued gun, or carry it for the day, I pull out the gun rag and give the gun a quick rub-down before putting it away. Takes 10 seconds, and you won't find a spot of rust on any of them.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Bud0505 said:
I have a piece of lamb's wool that I squeezed a tube of RIG on and I use that to wipe down all my firearms with. Periodically I add a little grease. I keep the wool in a ziplock bag on the top shelf of my gun cabinet. Works great at keeping my guns rust free. I learned this trick from a pawn shop owner in my home down.

10X....When I feel that more than a wipedown with #9 is in order, I use a little bit of RIG.....Good stuff!

Lee liquid alox also seems to me like a pretty good longterm bore protectant... :wink:

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
It isn't a good idea to use silicon on guns. Use a cloth with Ballistol to wipe down the outside of the gun. IF you can see your thumb print on the gun, you have Tooo much oil. Completely clean the entire gun with Ballistol and then wipe down as needed. On Stainless guns Ballistol helps keep surface and lead deposits (from cast bullets) down. I'm not a Ballistol dealer, I've used it for years and it works. If you shoot Browning over/under shotguns, spary Ballistol on the choke tube threads and on the barrel threads. You'll know why if and when you have a choke tube get stuck! Silicon breaks down a blue job after time. BhK

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i went to my local store and i found turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover, and just the plain turtle wax polish. would one of these work? also the rust remover will it take off bluing? thanks

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Regardless of what product you use, the fact is that bluing calls out to be lightly wiped down with oil to preserve the shine and to prevent rust spots from destroying the finish. I am partial to BreakFree CLP for this purpose because it is lighter in weight than many gun oils. The carrier evaporates and the bluing holds whatever oil it needs after a wipedown with a soft cloth. Do this on a regular basis for blued guns. I'm not sure that it really matters exactly what product you use, with the exception of silicone..

CU

Shadow

Single-Sixer
I like and use both Ballistol and Renaissance Wax. Ballistol (ballistic oil) is effective in a number of situations, but works wonders on all firearms, on all finishes, including Blue, CCH, Nickel and SS. Use as a bore cleaner and to clean and protect the entire exterior surface of your prized weapons.
Step 1: Spray the entire gun with a moderate amount of oil, including grips and stocks, regardless of material, then wipe down thoroughly with a clean old cotton T-shirt. I prefer Ballistol in the aerosol spray can, which allows you to get the oil in tight spots. Let set for at least one hour or overnight, if possible, giving the oil a chance to become absorbed.
Step 2: Using a clean portion of the T-shirt, wipe off any oil residue and prepare to apply Ren Wax. I will apply 2 or 3 coats of wax on a firearm that has not been treated with Ren Wax before. I prefer applying the wax with my fingers, just enough to cover all surfaces. Let set long enough until it dries. Now, with a clean micro-fiber or soft cotton cloth, buff to your desired level of sheen.
Side note: if you occasionally remove the 1-piece grips or grip panels from your handguns, apply Ballistol (as above) and 2-3 coats of Renaissance Wax on the area covered by the grips and 'do not buff' off the Ren Wax. This will act as an excellent rust protectant, eliminating the need or concern to remove grips as often, to check the undersurface for rust, as you may have before the Ballistol/Ren Wax treatment.

Both Ballistol and Renaissance Wax have multiple uses, not only good for treating and preserving metal, but exhibition grade burl woods, Ivory, bone, MOP, stag, etc. also leather, exotic or otherwise. Both products can be purchased at Midway USA. Buy them both with confidence .... you won't be disappointed !

JR

old 41

Bearcat
Here ya go, read this then decide.
Fact is it is a good read for everyone if you have not already.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8837452/1/results_of_gun_care_product_ev

mrbumps

Blackhawk
old 41 said:
Here ya go, read this then decide.
Fact is it is a good read for everyone if you have not already.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8837452/1/results_of_gun_care_product_ev

Funny, I just read this last night and was going to post a link here also. It is a very good read for sure. The results of his testing surprised me a bit, as some of the products did not perform as well as I had thought they would.