CAN THE 22LR CYLINDER ON THE LCR 22 BE CHANGED TO THE 22 MAG

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MALOGRIDES

Bearcat
Just purchased the LCR 22 in 22lr. Can the LCR 22 be converted to the 22mag by replacing the 22 lr cylinder with a 22 mag cylinder? Schematic appears to be similar except for the 22 mag cylinder being reduced to a 6 round capacity. If so, is there a tool available.

Thel

Blackhawk
Don't know but it might. One would need to change hands and maybe other parts due to the timing differences of the cylinders. Also, the bore on the .22 mag is different than the .22LR so the barrel would need changing or reboring.

MALOGRIDES

Bearcat
Ruger's single six is convertible and all you do is swap cylinders. Same with NAA Sidewinder and Taurus 992 Tracker. Barrel accommodates both calibers. Timing should not be an issue since each cylinder is notched accordingly. Is there anyone out there who has made this conversion?

I bought a .22 WRM cylinder for my .22 LR Bisley from one of the members of 24hourcampfire and got ready to send it to a smith to fit.

But first, just for giggles, I tried to see how close it would be to a fit.... It dropped in and I've been shooting it ever since. Never had any issues and it is as tight as the .22 LR cylinder and nearly as accurate.

This may have just been luck, but I've heard of others with the same experience. The LCR is a whole different animal, tho.

The barrel rifling specs would not be the problem, if it is rifled like other modern Ruger .22 revolvers. In a DA revolver "Timing is Everything."

hittman

Staff member
Those are inexpensive guns that are plentiful. Why not just buy one?

MALOGRIDES

Bearcat
Buckeye & Moderator, TY. The Taurus 992 is a DA without any additional strokes. The Taurus 94 Is in the same situation w/the 941. Schematic is the same for both SA/DA calibers. I guess we could banter this issue all night looking for the right answer. I will wait until Mon and talk with Ruger cust svc. Moderator, unfortunately i don't have your deep pockets, the 992 is around 6 bills when you can find them. The Ruger WMR cylinder is under 1 bill. Thanks for the effort guys.

hittman

Staff member
MALOGRIDES said:
...... I will wait until Mon and talk with Ruger cust svc.

...... the 992 is around 6 bills

...... The Ruger WMR cylinder is under 1 bill.

Good luck getting Ruger to modify a production gun. Be prepared that they'll want you to send it to them for the proper fitting; IF they'll consider doing it at all.

Yeah, the 992 is $600.00 and you have one gun.

EACH LCR can be bought for under $400.00 so ..... at $800.00 you'd own TWO guns.

Thel

Blackhawk
The models that are convertible will have the barrel with the bore to the larger diameter of the .22 Mag. Perhaps Ruger uses the larger bore on all .22's. Not all manufacturers do. The models with interchangeable cylinders have the same number of chambers in the .22LR and .22WMR so timing would not be an issue. The pawl part number on .327 mags compared to .357's on Numrich site are different for SP's as an instance because the .327 is a 6 round and the .357 a 5 round cylinder. This is also true for S&W when changing cylinders e.g. on a 686 6 round to a 7 round cylinder.

trapperon

Blackhawk
according to the lcr owners manual, the 22lr and 22mag have different mainsprings and pawls.
I don't see a drop in situation here....!

I think I would just save up and have 2 revolvers

Ron

MALOGRIDES

Bearcat
Ron Thank you. After further review there are a number of other parts that appear to be different to include the frame and barrel. Great suggestion "ka-ching".