vaquero questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike56

Single-Sixer
Got up today, and found I can not live with out one.

What happened to their "case hardened" finish?

And why, on the stainless models, do they high polish everything BUT the ejector tube?

And, finally, 4 or 5 inch??

Dos Vaqueros

Single-Sixer
The case finish was not real case it was chemically applied and did not hold up well, so it was eliminated. They also stopped maning blued hammers. I not a big fan of SS hammers on a all blued vaquero.

Jim Puke

Hunter
The case finish did not hold up very well...so they dropped it.

My stainless Vaqueros HAVE a polished ejector rod housing.

Barrel length would be a personal thing...you have to decide based on what your use and preference is.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
My polished SS vaqueros all have ERH`s polished to the same level as the rest of the gun.

What those guys said about the CCH finish being of poor quality.

Rclark

Hunter
Depends on who you are for barrel length. I like mine 5 1/2" . Best all around length in my opinion ;) . Really is a personal preference on barrel length. They don't make a 4" or 5" either BTW....

Also prefer the blued. Dislike the 'high polish' finish on the SS. My Sheriff is SS, and I have to blacken the sights in sunlight or always shoot from the shade. Too shiny in my opinion. I wish they still sold the case colored version. My original Vaquero is holding up well, maybe a bit faded, but that just helps the 'antique' look in my opinion. Don't have a 'rust' problem either.

Quickdraw

Single-Sixer
Love mine in 4 5/8" .357!
Post subject: Re: Ruger Vaquero Bisley SS .357 mag 4 5/8" !!
LbMEYaC.jpg

mike56

Single-Sixer
I think I prefer the stainless for the weather, but also don't care for the high gloss.
Thinking I might have it beadblasted. Shouldn't cost that much.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
One problem with a bead blast finish is that any slight holster wear will make shiny spots. Also it is harder to keep clean when it accumulates dirt and powder soot.

Instead of bead blasting you can take a Scotch Brite pad to it and put a nice satin finish on it in no time. And any scratches will disappear with a quick touch up.

MaxP

Buckeye
mike56 said:
Got up today, and found I can not live with out one.

What happened to their "case hardened" finish?

And why, on the stainless models, do they high polish everything BUT the ejector tube?

And, finally, 4 or 5 inch??

A friend of mine is selling these two consecutive serial numbered .357 Vaqueros.......

62CH3-Vaquero-1.jpg

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
caryc said:
My old Vaquero's finish is getting a little faded too, but I think it's still a good looking gun.

673f.jpg

Even when they fade out they still look good !!!!!

gak

Buckeye
+1 Cary, that's a fine looking gun. Actually wish mine was faded like yours - Mine still looks new! To the OP, contrary to popular misperception, not all blued New Vaquero's are minus that look - the early NVs had the faux case finish.

I never thought the faux treatment was that bad, and being in Az I guess, no rust issues. I have a newer NV (all blue) and am contemplating having it CCH'd, perhaps using a gent per a recent thread here. To me, the fixed sight guns "need" or at least thrive with the coloring!