Is a 00472 Bisley .45acp/ Colt mid or large frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

k22fan

Blackhawk
A LGS owner who has a new stainless 5 ½" one on display said it is one of 1000 made for Williams Shooter's Supply. For comparison he had a 2014 manufactured 9mm/.357 stainless BH and a New Model Vaquero both of which appeared to have the same cylinder diameter as the .45 but he thinks his .45 is a large frame that will take "for Ruger only" reloads. IIRC that last time I did a side by side cylinder diameter comparison the difference between the two was obvious. What's the straight answer?

A few years ago I didn't fit a similar new .45acp/.45 Colt into my budget. I believed it to be a large [.44 mag size] frame but I'm not certain. Since I haven't forgotten that batch I might be smarter to fit one in this time.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Looking at Ruger's Website, model 0472 is not a flat top - that means it should be a large size frame. It is the "flat top" 45's that are on the mid-sized frame.

To be "doubly sure", take a look at the serial number: serial numbers that have a 3 digit prefix (XXX-YYYYY) are the new mid framed, while a 2 digit prefix (XX-YYYY) will be the large frame.

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Yes it is the large frame version.

One for sale in our classifieds right now, it is unusual in the fact that the pictured serial number is out of sequence with a 38- prefix.

Dana

On the 00472- Check the grip frame with a magnet, it should be steel, not aluminum. This I think would make it a Super Blackhawk Bisley, but of course it is not marked as a super. Also there will be a hand inscribed number on each cylinder face, it will be the last #s of the frame serial #. That way you can keep the cylinders in the correct frame, although my two 00472's cylinders seem to be identical and interchangeable between frames. One had 0.4500 on both cylinder's throats, that one is being reamed now, the other was tight but not nearly that tight (more like 0.451). One set I'll keep for lead, the other for jacketed.

Interestingly a new Talo Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull with the bobbed 5" barrel has 0.4525 throats. Good thing the XTP-MAGs come in .452. Thanks to Trail Boss, all my .45 Colt strength light loads for the SRH can be safely loaded in .454 brass, leaving the cylinder clean of residue for when the actual full power loads are needed.

George

k22fan

Blackhawk
We've positively established it's a large, .44 magnum size frame by its two digit, 0038 serial prefix and rear sight nestled in between the raised sides of its top strap. With help from the members here I'll know right away what I'm looking at next time.

For budgetary reasons I'm passing on the 00472. I strongly prefer Dragoon and Hunter grip frames over the smaller BH grip frames but it'll take experience with a recoiling Bisley to decide if I like them better. After tax the 00472 would have come to almost $700. I'm going to try out my first Bisley in a $437 OTD used 7 ½" blued SBH.