.44 Remington Magnum (T/C) in New Model Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

No-1

Single-Sixer
My Super Blackhawk handles my 44 Ruger Carbine loads just fine. They were warm in a handgun but not brutal. Not sure if TC is even hotter since it locks up tightly and has no cylinder gap. I'd keep an eye on the top strap to make sure it's not getting cut.

contender

Ruger Guru
While the "Ruger & T/C Loads" are published & safe in those guns,,, I've found better accuracy below the maximums in most cases.

MaxP

Buckeye
Doug.38PR said:
Just wanted to be sure I was right before I blew my hand off. Looking at the figures, this is going up near .454 Casull and sw.500 territory

Shouldn't be anywhere near Casull or .500 Smith territory. The SAAMI max pressure of the .44 is 36,000 psi while the Casull and .500 S&W are 65,000 and 62,000 psi respectively.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
10X MaxP...

Where does the data for the overpressure .44 mag loads come from? I have never seen two sets of .44 mag data such as there is for Ruger/TC .45 Colt... :?

MarkL_01

Bearcat
Hornady's 9th edition has a section for .44 Remington Magnum (T/C). These are not "Ruger and Contender" loads. The maximum charges differ little from the "regular" .44 Magnum section. Some maximum charges are slightly higher in the T/C section (25.9gr versus 24.8gr of H110 for 240gr bullets) and some are slightly lower (19.8gr versus 20.1gr H110 for 300gr bullets). The higher velocities are the result of testing in a 14" barrel rather than in a 7.5" one.

In the text of the T/C section, these loads are not described as having higher than standard pressure, but the effect of the long barrel is mentioned.

It pays to work up to any of the max loads. My 10" contender locked up before getting to the max load listed for H110 with the 240gr XTP bullet.

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Somewhere between El Paso TX and Charleston SC
MarkL_01 said:
Hornady's 9th edition has a section for .44 Remington Magnum (T/C). These are not "Ruger and Contender" loads. The maximum charges differ little from the "regular" .44 Magnum section. Some maximum charges are slightly higher in the T/C section (25.9gr versus 24.8gr of H110 for 240gr bullets) and some are slightly lower (19.8gr versus 20.1gr H110 for 300gr bullets). The higher velocities are the result of testing in a 14" barrel rather than in a 7.5" one.

In the text of the T/C section, these loads are not described as having higher than standard pressure, but the effect of the long barrel is mentioned.

It pays to work up to any of the max loads. My 10" contender locked up before getting to the max load listed for H110 with the 240gr XTP bullet.

I don't have it in front of me but it sounds like you are reading from same manual as I.

Is there loading data in .44 magnum for Ruger Contender?

Note: my super black hawk is a 10.5 inch barrel so I'm in between the 7.5 and 14 inch

MaxP

Buckeye
There's a big difference between loads that are a little hotter in a .44 Mag than .454 Casull loads.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I remember reading somewhere, maybe in the Lee book or in some older Hodgdon books, about 44 magnum 'carbine loads' as mentioned before. These were loads tailored to the 44 carbine, with slower powders and slightly more pressure in some instances. :D

MarkL_01

Bearcat
My take on this is that the carbine and T/C sections present loads that are likely to work well in these platforms, along with the resulting velocities. Fewer different powders are presented in these than are included in the revolver section, but the maximum powder charges are about the same as those recommended for revolvers.

There is no indication that different pressure standards were used.

Regarding barrel lengths: 25.0gr of H110 and Hornady's 240gr XTP averaged 1570fps in my 10" T/C and roughly 1700fps (with 24.8gr H110 or 25.0gr W296) from a 14" barrel, per the manual. This load gave extraction problems in my gun, but was slightly less than the maximum load in the manual.

In addition to the barrel length difference, your revolver will (probably) have somewhat reduced velocity relative to the T/C because of having a barrel-cylinder gap. This statement ignores gun-to-gun variability, which can be substantial. For example, I have two S&W 629-6 revolvers, with 4" and 6.5" barrels. The velocities of Hornady 240gr XTP factory loads differ by less than 60fps between these two.

MarkL_01

Bearcat
Pal Val said:
Read the small print in the manual. Some of the loads are too long OAL for the revolver cylinder.

This is not the case in the Hornady manual in question; all of the cartridge overall lengths are the same in the revolver and T/C sections.

(Sorry if my replies have gotten mixed up with other messages. I hit "quote" before properly submitting.)

Pal Val

Buckeye
MarkL_01 said:
Pal Val said:
Read the small print in the manual. Some of the loads are too long OAL for the revolver cylinder.

This is not the case in the Hornady manual in question; all of the cartridge overall lengths are the same in the revolver and T/C sections.

(Sorry if my replies have gotten mixed up with other messages. I hit "quote" before properly submitting.)

Pardon my confusion. I had just looked in the Lyman manual, not the Hornady.

MarkL_01

Bearcat
Pardon my confusion. I had just looked in the Lyman manual, not the Hornady.

No worry. Your point about reading the "fine print" in the loading manuals is a good one. I think that gets overlooked a lot.
-Mark