Altamont or Eagle for Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

black029

Single-Sixer
I like the looks and feel of the factory Redhawk stocks, but wish they were checkered. The next step is aftermarket. Anyone have thoughts on either Eagle or Altamont?

hittman

Staff member
No, but here's some of the now discontinued Uncle Mike's that work very well. Think I got these from Numrich.

And, I got a price quote once from a grip maker here who said he could checker the factory wood Redhawk grips to make them look like the Security Six grips. Wish I could remember who that was as I have an extra set now and may give it a try.

I have a set of the Altamonts on my Redhawk. I had to refinish them shortly after I received them. The finish they came with was like a thin shellac that flaked off. I stripped them and used some Tung oil on them. I like the grips. the checkering really helps keeping a grip on the gun. They fit nice as well.

I'd like to get a set checkered like the Security Six.

mike56

Single-Sixer
I bought a set of the attamount rosewood checkered grips for my redhawk and thought they fit and looked great.
Very classy. Sorry I didn't save a picture of them.

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
I've got a couple of pairs of Altamont grips, including a pair for the Redhawk. Give them a shot but keep in mind that these, like all other "cookie cutter" grips may have some issues that need to be addressed during fitting to your particular revolver. Other than that mine have been aesthetically perfect.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Are you asking about looks or works?

Try the Eagles or Altamont on your gun if you frequent a full-service LGS. Close your eyes and draw on a target across the room - if your front sight is on target when you open your eyes, buy those grips.

If you're asking about cosmetics, just buy the shiniest objects you can find?

I have had two stunning sets of Eagle grips for Rugers - but each required a bit of fitting to be perfect fits.
Altamont makes grips on a million-dollar CNC mill, so they are all exactly the same fit IMO. I've only owned thier grips on an N-frame S&W, no Rugers.

black029

Single-Sixer
This is way more about fit than looks. The standard Ruger wood stocks are fine for my smaller hands, but I feel the need for checkering.
I suppose I could kill two birds and buy a set of Grashorn stags.

Mark

Bearcat
I have small hands and the factory grips are OK for me but I wish they were more filled in in the front like the Tyler T. So far the Uncle Mike's grips are the best fit but not ideal and I do prefer wood.

I first tried the Hogue rubber monogrip and it feels too narrow side to side and too long front to back. Are the Hogue wood grips pretty much the same shape as the rubber monogrips? It kind of looks like it in the pictures. I do like the exposed backstrap since it makes the trigger reach a little shorter.

Black, is there a reason you are not asking about Hogue? Do you already know they won't work for you? It's easy to buy and try cheap rubber grips, but I really don't want to own a box full of wood grips.

BTW, didn't you recently say you were getting a new Redhawk from someone on the Sig forum? I haven't seen you mention receiving it.

Mark

black029

Single-Sixer
No, Hogue's have never worked for me. They have too much filler behind the trigger guard and the finger grooves are way off. The only finger groove stocks, or grip, that fits and feels good is Glock. And some Uncle Mikes J frame stocks.
And yep, I did get a new production .45 Colt Redhawk. Which now wears a set of dark rosewood (I think) Ruger stocks. Pending the purchase of something checkered.
Shame Ruger stopped checkering Redhawk stocks, but that happened so long ago that some younger shooters may not even know they ever did come checkered.

Mark

Bearcat
I've thought about getting some checkering tools and taking a shot at it. I've removed checkering before, that's easy. :)

It is something I will try when I have plenty of free time.

Mark