Super Redhawk scope suggestions.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tascofeldman

Bearcat
I have a super Redhawk that I need to scope. This will be my first scoped handgun, eyes getting a little iffy for iron sights. What power and brand do y'all suggest that won't tear a gaping hole in the bank account yet will tolerate the recoil of the 44 mag.

I really like my Leupold 2x pistol scope I have on my Super Redhawk. I got mine used for $125. I also have a Leupold 4x on my SRH 454 Casull, but it's more difficult to acquire an image though it. it seem to be more finicky about alignment with my eye.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I would go with a 2X or so if you want to keep a slimmer, lighter package. What I got for mine was the 2-6X Bushnell Elite. It's not as compact but gives me the magnification I was looking for.

I don't know what your budget is but the Elite is on Amazon at the moment for about $275. It is waterproof, fog proof, shock proof and rated to withstand the recoil of the .454

What ever model you choose, research or contact the company to verify it's capable of handling such levels of recoil because otherwise it's going to break.

When I touched off a case full of LilGun under a 300 grain Hornady XTP I quickly realized the importance of having a scope rated to .454 recoil levels. Holy smokes that thing is a kicker.

I think down the road I'd like to get a fixed 2 or 2.5X scope because that Elite is pretty big.

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

I had one of the Leupold 2Xs on my 629 for 20 years. I didn't shoot light loads and had to rebuild the Smith once. The scope never quit. I have a Bushnell 2-6X on my 460XVR that is the best handgun scope I ever have had for constant eye relief at every power.
A T/C 2.5-7x that's been on my 223 16"Contender for 25 years is a beauty.

I have a RedDot on my Redhawk and a Nikon 2x on a TC Encore 44. In a 2x scope I like the Nikon and Weaver best. I also have a couple 2x6 Bushnell Trophy's on a 223 Encore and a 10/22 Charger. They are a good scope that wont break the bank.

You might consider a Red Dot. I have no problem out to 75 yards with the RedDot (my personal limit). Plus it is much easier to use the Red Dot when shooting w/o a rest. UltraDot and Bushnell TRS-25's are great and will handle the recoil.

GIL

Bearcat
I have tried several and I will ONLY use my Burris 2-7x 32mm scope!

Don't let the 500.00+ retail price tag scare you off, they can be found darn near everywhere for 350.00 in the nickel finish to match your SRH.

The eye relief on the Burris is the most forgiving I have seen. My LGS stocks as many pistol scopes as optics planet and the day I bought the Burris they laid them ALL on the counter to let me play with them for about 3 hours! I love Van's outdoors in Cullman AL. LOL I narrowed it down to 5 and then they loosely mounted them for me to let me step outside to see what I liked and dis-liked. I went hoping to only spend 200.00 and by the time I got down to the final 5 scopes-they were all in the 350.00-550.00 range. Imagine that. Thank goodness I hate the high end Leupolds as much as the entry level ones. LOL

wwb

Hunter
As noted by exlogger, the 2X Weaver is a viable option at a very reasonable price. I've had one on my .44 Super Redhawk for 7 years now, a few hundred rounds down the pipe, and a couple deer to its credit.

Only problem..... the little "WEAVER" sticker on the left side is somewhere in the woods of northern Minnesota. I'm guessing there's a problem with different thermal expansion/contraction between the scope body and the logo sticker. As I recall, it was about 15 below zero the day it disappeared..... but the rest of the scope has been rock solid.

pisgah

Buckeye
The Tasco Pro-Point on my .45 Bisley is about ideal for me. I wouldn't venture over a 100 yard shot with any revolver -- my limitation, not the revolver's -- but the Pro-Point makes 100 yard shooting easy for me with a rest, and 50 yard unsupported shots are downright boringly simple. Huge field of view, and the 5 moa dot seems to present no difficulty in maintaining accuracy at longer ranges where it covers up a pretty good chunk of the target.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
dickydalton said:
I had one of the Leupold 2Xs on my 629 for 20 years. I didn't shoot light loads and had to rebuild the Smith once. The scope never quit. I have a Bushnell 2-6X on my 460XVR that is the best handgun scope I ever have had for constant eye relief at every power.
A T/C 2.5-7x that's been on my 223 16"Contender for 25 years is a beauty.
Thanks for your post on this. I recently had problems with a Redfield 2x6 on my XP. Darned eye relief changed with every change in power.
Steve

Steve in PA

Bearcat
I've had a Bushnell 2-6x Trophy Scope on my SRH for about 20 years. Never an issue. Have it sighted in to be dead on at 100 yards.

wapiti22

Blackhawk
I put an Ultradot 30mm on my Bisley Hunter in 41 mag. Works great! No crosshairs, just a bright red dot. The dot is adjustable for brightness. Took 3 shots at the range to get it lined up. An excellent scope for aroungd $170.

And yes, I also have those "aging eye balls"

Latest posts