SP101 2.5" or 3"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tascofeldman

Bearcat
Looking to get an SP101, intend for it to be added to my rotation for cc as I really like revolvers. I have never owned an SP101 but have shot one 1 in 3". Is there any appreciable different in the way the 2.5" carries versus the 3". I currently carry a full size 1911 both IWB and OWB as well as a Kahr K40 both IWB & OWB. I have in the past carried a original S&W bodyguard model both ways. I would expect some marginal performance improvement with the 3" but would it be worth it. Thanks in advance!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The upside to the 3-1/16" is a longer sight radius and a more velocity. The only downside is the slightly longer barrel is a bit harder to conceal but that should only be a problem in an ankle holster or, possibly, in an OWB holster if your shirt or jacket isn't quite long enough. I'd choose the 3" all the time.

eveled

Hawkeye
It is actually 2.25 vs 3.06, over 3/4 of an inch. Doesn't seem like much, but I bet it would make a difference concealing it. Ed

s4s4u

Hunter
I find a handle much harder to hide than a little more barrel. I wouldn't mind if my LCRx had a 3" tube.

6gun

Hunter
Go with the 2 1/4" barrel, better balance, lighter weight, no less accurate than a 3", easier to conceal, also shorter barrel Rugers always resale at a higher price should you ever want to trade it off.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
For me, the 2.25 balances better than the 3-inch SP-101.

Both seem to shoot the same (ease of hitting the target), but the 2.25 feels better for some reason.

Ha, ha, ha! I was going to write the 3 inch balances better, but then Mike writes that the 2.25 inch balances better for him! :). Yep it is a personal decision. Good luck
gramps
WB4WBH

Hugh

Buckeye
gramps said:
Ha, ha, ha! I was going to write the 3 inch balances better, but then Mike writes that the 2.25 inch balances better for him! :). Yep it is a personal decision. Good luck
gramps
WB4WBH
Like Gramps said. I've got both, prefer the 3-1/16" .357.
Hugh
KK7UO

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have both also. I carry both in a Pancake holster at approximately 4 O'Clock. The 2.25 being a little shorter puts the bottom of the holster higher above your right rear pocket. I do not find the 3.06 to be a problem carrying either though. A nice fishing shirt, and you are good to go.

Bob R

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
In my opinion, the 3" bbl gives the proper proportions to the size and weight of the rest of the gun. Historically speaking, the SP is the grandson of the Colt Detective Special only made in a heavier duty form. Colt Detective Special ---> S&W Chief's Special ---> SP101. There is no significant difference between a 2" and 3" bbl when it comes to "convenient" carry. Now the 4" bbl version is out and it looks silly and does not balance. Pulling a 4" bbl out of a holster IS more difficult. I don't know what they were thinking. Lastly, the SP101 became a viable carry gun for me when I discovered the Hogue wooden grip for it. If you are going to wear this thing under clothing, toss the sticky rubber grip right away. That's the way I look at it.

CU

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
How you going to carry it????
If pocket, 2 1/4 if belt or sholder holster, 3in.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Barrel length is not the problem with concealed carry unless we are talking about something more than 4 inches. The grip is where you can get in trouble. I have been known to carry a Glock 17 with the grip cut to that of a 26 without an issue. The longer sight radius was helpful. The 3 inch is a better gun.

JC676

Bearcat
lfpiii said:
Barrel length is not the problem with concealed carry unless we are talking about something more than 4 inches. The grip is where you can get in trouble. I have been known to carry a Glock 17 with the grip cut to that of a 26 without an issue. The longer sight radius was helpful. The 3 inch is a better gun.

I have found that the above statement is the absolute truth! That extra .75" of barrel does nothing to decrease concealability... but a large grip will make hiding the gun more difficult. I've used a 3" SP as my off duty gun for years and have been extremely happy with it riding along in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar pancake holster. I added Pachmyrs compact grips to remedy the grip size issue (really like the Badger grips as well, but the grip angle isn't comfortable for me). For my money, a 3" barrel is ideal for a CCW gun and really wish it was an option on the LCR. If it was, I probably would retire my SP in favor of that light-weight jewel.

Regards,
Jon