Crazy price on a used Blackhawk at the LGS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zuchus

Bearcat
I was browsing the gun case at the local sporting goods store the other day. There were two used Blackhawks, both in great condition - a 4 5/8" .357 and a 7" in .45 Colt, both blued, both plain vanilla newer production. So the .357 is marked $389, but the .45 is marked $839! I figured someone must have transposed the digits so I mentioned it to one of the employees and he went off to check into the records and see what was what.

So I stop back in about three days later. The .357 is gone, the .45 is still in the case, still marked $839. Methinks it's going to be there a looooooooong time.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
There's an LGS near me like that. All their gun prices are full boat MSRP. The reason I go there is they have a good selection of bulk cast bullets and once in a while they'll have Bullseye, Unique and WST.

But looking at their gun case is scary. Ruger SR1911's tagged at $800, S&W Shields tagged at $450.

They were selling Aguila .22lr a couple of weeks ago and asking $55 per 500.

There is a gun shop about an hour drive north of where I live but that's only if there's no traffic, but their prices are awesome. The wife and I drove there to buy her an LCR last week because they were $150 less than the LGS mentioned above.

contender

Ruger Guru
Me thinks that the 45 is either misunderstood as a plain vanilla version vs a rarer one,,, or the owner THINKS it's something it's not.

Zuchus

Bearcat
Yeah, 7.5 inch of course! At first I thought it must be some old rare flattop or something, but it is just a plain Jane Blackhawk, which I think you can get brand spanking new at the local Gander Mountain for under $500. Either it's mismarked they haven't bothered changing it after I pointed it out, or maybe it's on consignment from someone with high hopes!

awp101

Single-Sixer
TX, home of DeeDee Snavely's Used Guns and Weapons
Zuchus said:
maybe it's on consignment from someone with high hopes!
But honey bear sweetie, I TRIED to sell it honest! I can't FORCE someone to buy it so I guess I'll just have to keep it...

rofl.gif

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I know there is a used stainless .357 Blachawk with the 6 1/2 inch barrel. I saw the gun about 4 months back and I asked what the price was. $600 flat. It's still there oddly enough.

Hugh

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag said:
...should be a 7.5" barrel on a 45 colt gun. :D :D
Hi Jimbo,

I have two New Model Blackhawk .45 Colt revolvers. Both 1979 vintage, one is 4-5/8" and the other is 7-1/2". I really like the 4-5/8" but am willing to part with the 7-1/2" for what I have in to it.

Plumbous1

Bearcat
Local Cabela's has had a 80% .357 Flat Top 3 screw at $1,499.00 for close to a couple of years. Gun counter guy said they paid too much for it. I offered $750.00 and asked him to call Sidney to see what they'd say. He declined.

Flash

Buckeye
Often it depends on how much the customer was given in trade. I saw it many times where the counter help was clueless on how to value a gun in trade

toroflow

Single-Sixer
Plumbous1 said:
Local Cabela's has had a 80% .357 Flat Top 3 screw at $1,499.00 for close to a couple of years. Gun counter guy said they paid too much for it. I offered $750.00 and asked him to call Sidney to see what they'd say. He declined.

WOW! High 90s % flat top 357s are typically $550-650 guns these days. That local Cabelas may find a sucker one day! ;)

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Sadly some dealers do not care about staying in business. My favorite LGS was sold to two idiots that raised prices on used guns to MSRP and new guns two double MSRP and now they are crying why no one buys from them. 90% blue 6 inch GP-100 $699.99

rich642z

Single-Sixer
At the Cabela's store in LaVista,Nebraska,they had a S&W Model 64 .38 special at 629.99. I told Tony the Manager in the gun library that he was nuts. 3 months later,some one stupid paid that price for it. It was dinged up,not cleaned,and 629.99 for a 2 inch revolver??? Now watch if the person trys to sell it. I would give him 200.00 for it.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
lfpiii said:
Sadly some dealers do not care about staying in business. My favorite LGS was sold to two idiots that raised prices on used guns to MSRP and new guns two double MSRP and now they are crying why no one buys from them. 90% blue 6 inch GP-100 $699.99
I completely understand. That's my LGS. Don't they know there's such a thing called the internet that you can buy guns from all day long? I'm not sure my guys do, since they have a hard time even using the hunting licensing system they have and the cash register. I realize that there is overhead with owning a business, but they're actually selling mid-priced guns for $300 to $400 more than Bud's sells them for retail. Too bad really.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Who cares what anyone asks for any gun?

There are tons of guns out there...find one at your price and don't worry what someone wants for THEIR gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
Jim hit the nail on the head.

I visited the new Cabella's in Greenville SC over the weekend for the first time. They had 2 OM Rugers. Both way over priced. However,, the gentleman who allowed me to fondle them, (just in case they had a "S" hidden from view,) was very nice & willing to learn about real world pricing. Hopefully, they will visit here & see just what real world SELLING prices are & get an education.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Oddly enough, I find myself in agreement with JL.
- I rarely waste oxygen asking WTH is wrong with a GS pricing. Sometimes I'll ask whether there is some provenance on a particular "high-priced" gun? And have heard some very interesting stories by asking!

Plumbous1 said:

Well, RENE has pristine THREE-DIGIT .357 flattops at $1675 and TWO-DIGIT ones at $3300.

This may have led them to believe their gun is worth that much.

Value rumors abound in gun shops.

:roll:

I agree with you guys. No sense in paying too much for a gun. I do have a favorite independent gun store. Generally their prices are fair but if they have a gun I want I don't mind paying their price. They are friendly...which matters more to me than 50 bucks. Yes I know the OP talks about a bigger price difference.