grips.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
I'd make this a poll but there are just too many options to choose from.
I'll be back in The States in just about 1 month!! after almost 1 year in china.
Quite a few months ago I got on the waiting list with one of the big smiths to have some work done on a stainless 3.75" .44mag SBH. It won't be too much longer till my name comes up.

among other (more serious?) things the gun in question will be getting a bead blasted finish and the grip frame round butted. I've got to buy some wood grips to send off with for re-shaping/fitting. The current grips are the factory black laminate.

Any suggestions for a nice aesthetic with the bead blasted stainless? I'm thinking the darker woods like walnut to contrast the finish. But I'd love to see some pictures.

Shadow

Single-Sixer
sheep.dog .... although dark Turkish Walnut burl wood would be a nice contrast to the bead blasted frame & bbl, I really like genuine Ivory or faux Ivory on a bead blasted frame as well. It gives a stainless or bead blasted gun a very elegant appearance, and according to your comment about aesthetics, these materials would give you great eye appeal when combined with the guns finish. However, for something a little more unique, I like Bighorn Sheep with inclusions of dark streaks for added character.

Ultimately you have several choices, so good luck with your selection.

Shadow

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
Burled mesquite, or Desert Ironwood would also look great on bead blast SS… and I second the American Holly, Ivory and sheep horn options as well, all look great on both SS or blued, IMHO… :)

I'm excited for you, be sure to post up some pics once you get her finished… and congrats on coming back home!

6gun

Hunter
You should be able to find something exotic in China like some pouched ivory or rino horn or something. :D

I've got to say I like the contrast of a darker wood also. I have some ironwood on a stainless blackbawk Private Schultz made for me.

BUT

Contender brings up a good point about the American Holly. It is really nice and ages beautifully. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
English walnut.

Bisley grip frames vary.I would send the finished grip frame to a maker to build grips for it.Cary C would be a good one.I'm not sure if he is taking work or not.

caryc

Hawkeye
Short Barrel said:
English walnut.

Bisley grip frames vary.I would send the finished grip frame to a maker to build grips for it.Cary C would be a good one.I'm not sure if he is taking work or not.

How do you know the OP has a Bisley grip frame? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
Sorry,I had read it earlier before posting and had Bisley on the brain.I want one of those 3 3/4" Bisleys though.If it turns out that it is a Bisley,I'll edit this and say I'm psychic.

caryc

Hawkeye
Short Barrel said:
Sorry,I had read it earlier before posting and had Bisley on the brain.I want one of those 3 3/4" Bisleys though.If it turns out that it is a Bisley,I'll edit this and say I'm psychic.

I kind of thought maybe you knew something like maybe that barrel length was a Bisley. Still it's a pretty short barrel for a 44 mag. Did they actually make Bisleys in that length?

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
Lipsey's had Ruger do a run of these recently.It is the only 3 3/4" SBH that I know of but I haven't been keeping up with that stuff either.
http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruger-Bisley-44-Magnum-Stainless-3-3Quarter-barrel.aspx

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
The OP's revolver is NOT a Bisley (I was there when he bought it).

Hey Sheep.dog!!
The summer is in full swing here, and we are eager to welcome you home!

I say go with the darkest wood available, to contrast the stainless.

I love Ebony the best, but it seems difficult to find anymore......and I think it might be hard to work with?
Marc at Gemini had a pair blow up on him, while making me some custom boot grips for my SP101......I ended up with Cocobolo!

Anyway, I'm sure you'll make a good choice, and your single action buddies are geared up and ready to shoot upon your return.
Safe travels.
PT

caryc

Hawkeye
Wheelyfun44 said:

Hey Sheep.dog!!

I love Ebony the best, but it seems difficult to find anymore......and I think it might be hard to work with?
Marc at Gemini had a pair blow up on him, while making me some custom boot grips for my SP101......I ended up with Cocobolo!

Anyway, I'm sure you'll make a good choice, and your single action buddies are geared up and ready to shoot upon your return.
Safe travels.
PT

How does a pair of grips "blow up"?

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
i do love the walnut. And i see that Carry has some available right now.... also see those Rams... we probably ought to talk soon.
you too wheely.

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
Short Barrel said:

it's a Talo, XR3-RED gripframe

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
caryc said:
Wheelyfun44 said:

Hey Sheep.dog!!

Safe travels.
PT

Sir,
Not sure, but I believe that the Ebony is very brittle or hard?
I think that, in his attempt to work with the wood, it somehow "shattered"?

I know that Marc called me, just after it happened, and was aggravated with the Ebony!
He offered Cocobolo, and I took him up on that instead!

caryc

Hawkeye
Wheelyfun44 said:
caryc said:
Wheelyfun44 said:

Hey Sheep.dog!!

Safe travels.
PT

Sir,
Not sure, but I believe that the Ebony is very brittle or hard?
I think that, in his attempt to work with the wood, it somehow "shattered"?

I know that Marc called me, just after it happened, and was aggravated with the Ebony!
He offered Cocobolo, and I took him up on that instead!

I've made lots of ebony grips and never had a problem with the wood. It's no more difficult to work than any other wood. Ebony is not brittle. Nor is it hard to the point of being a problem.

Imissedagain

Single-Sixer
http://sergeantviolin.com/pmi.html

Sergeant Violin is making his PMI grips for the Blackhawk and the Colt Detective
Special/D frame. They'll be available later this Summer.
The wood can be seen on a Gold Cup.

Exploding ebony..... if I grind it into powder.... how many grains under a 470 grain lead spitzer for my #1 in 458 WinMag? :)