Scarce or not? 3” .38 spl. adj. sight GP100 stainless

Help Support Ruger Forum:

k22fan

Blackhawk
A LGS has a reasonably priced new one [$549 +tax] and I hadn't noticed this variation before. I already have more than enough .357 magnums and I'm drawn to odd ball variations so this one caught my attention. I'm not crazy about its Hogue rubber or its over conspicuous "GP 100" bill board on the barrel and "38 special" on the full lug but with Ruger's original compact grips it will look much better. Are these common as blades of grass in a lawn or something I'm unlikely to see again?

Thel

Blackhawk
Davidson's shows 99+ available right now and there are several listed on Gun Broker from $529 on up plus shipping. Don't think they are rare, however, so far they have not been made in the numbers as 4" adj. sighted GP's. The really rare ones are model 1708 .357 3" adj. sighted ones. I believe the .38's started showing up several months back and are also referred to as model 1751.

rich642z

Single-Sixer
The pawn shop I deal with,I sold him 5 that I had and I have more at our wholesale shop. I have 30 left and they are selling fast.

357 Terms

Bearcat
The 38 special only gp100's are probably much easier to find than the compact grips you'd want to put on them.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Thank-you gentlemen for the great information.

Since most buyers choose .357 over .38 only my guess is Ruger will not make these the only cataloged GP 100 .38 special and their availability will diminish after this production run sells. Anyhow I like it so I shuffled it onto lay-a-way.

357 Terms,
I can borrow the compacts off my blued .38 special 4" fixed sighted GP 100. I like that revolver better with standard size old Ruger grips. That's another GP 100 that while not scarce I have not seen a second example of.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I don't see why Ruger doesn't want to make the .38 GP a catalog item again. The distributor runs always sell really well even at full price. Just because they catalog the item doesn't mean they have to produce it continuously. Just make periodic runs throughout the year as they do with other guns.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Whether or not they catalog them is just a matter of sales volume. I'm sure the accountants prefer selling simi-autos with inexpensively made plastic major components by the box car load. Also the modern sporting rifles readily sell for a sizable chunk of change so they must be a more profitable use of manufacturing space or time.

k22fan

Blackhawk
357 Terms said:
The 38 special only gp100's are probably much easier to find than the compact grips you'd want to put on them.

I hope you can forgive a little bragging but in a LGS's odd ball grip box I found a complete small GP-100 grip for $20 OTD. Now I just need to get the revolver paid off.

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Me too!! Have one on lay-away also.
I think the 3" inch GP100 is my all-time favorite gun.
Just had to get the 38 Special variation.
Got the 3" 357 and the Stainless matte Wylie Clapp.
Just had to get the 1751 !!

wolfee

Blackhawk
k22fan, I would say they are scarce, but that doesn't necessarily translate into VALUABLE as most want the magnum. Right now, there just happens to be some runs available in the wholesalers pipeline, but I am pretty sure those will disappear soon. I have come to treasure my 4" fixed sight, blued 38 GP. I should have grabbed one of the blued 3 inchers Davidsons offered a few weeks ago. I already got the short Ruger rubber grips and Rosewood inserts just waiting for it but didn't have cash ready at the time. Note Hitman's pic above--gorgeous gun.

btw, I have been shooting this GP for about a year and a half now and the improvement in trigger pull is astonishing. It has gone from down right crummy out of the box to quite smooth after about 500-700 rounds thru it. I haven't touched it. Haven't even done a field strip cleaning yet to see if there is junk from the production process inside. Better do that after next trip to the range but in the mean time the trigger just smoothed itself out real nice from shooting--no dry firing or anything else.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I believe they have made atleast a couple runs now. I think the first run was around 30.

fx84gi.jpg

My 3 Inch 38 Special. With Letts style grips by Altamont with Fancy Fish Scale Inserts. The front sight is a Marble Fiber Optic Quick Change. For whatever reason Altamont has not gotten around to making the compact GP100 Letts style grips. I am sure thay would sell just fine. I would have ordered the Compact version if they had offered them.

2gw56p4.jpg

Rear view of the Marble Fiber Optic front sight. My old eyes can see the front sight just fine.

1zxr5lj.jpg

My 3 Inch GP100 in a Rocky Hill Leather Pancake with a Safariland Comp III Speed Loader in a Big Creek Kydex belt carrier that I make.

I have several .357 bore DA Revolvers some are 38 Special and some 357 Magnums. I have ZERO issues conceal carrying a 38 Special. I really like this version of the GP100.

Bob R

k22fan

Blackhawk
Wolfee,
I don't expect it to have higher value than a .357. I don't resell guns so that doesn't matter much to me. However, I have observed that long after they were manufactured less practical variations that only sold in small quantities have wound up being the collectors guns while the variations that appealed to most buyers only make collectors yawn. I'm only interested in this .38 for my own use and I seldom shoot magnums these days because some environmentalists who only coincidentally had financial interests in the surrounding property managed to use the poisonous lead in the back stop to shut down our outdoor range. Also I always preferred firing magnums in long barrels to keep the noise down.

QB

Single-Sixer
Yeah.....there was a run (or overrun or ??) of about 20-30 awhile back and I purchased two of them. There was a flurry of posts about them suddenly appearing for sale. My sister "appropriated" one of them and I couldn't find another one at a reasonable price so the minute a new run of them I purchased another to replace the one my sister has. I put the Lett grips on them and want to get some different inserts, and I added the fiber optic front sight (wow, easy to replace...dropped right in).

I don't shoot 357mag and prefer my revolvers chambered specifically for 38 special so when I saw these GP100s I had to jump on them. They had all the attributes I love.....3" barrel, stainless, adjustable rear sight, easily replaceable front sights, and chambered for 38 special.

I've sold many revolvers as of late (mainly S&W) but NONE of my GPs.

louiethelump

Buckeye
That fixed sight gun is a good looker! I have always had a soft spot for fixed sight 4" guns, I guess after carry of that type for so many years as a police officer. The model S&W 64 that I was issued was superbly accurate and reliable and I trusted it fully. I have now sold ALL my S&W guns and am back to all Ruger; where I started in 1973 when I bought my first one.

QB

Single-Sixer
louiethelump said:
.......I have now sold ALL my S&W guns and am back to all Ruger; where I started in 1973 when I bought my first one.

You sound like me. I went on a substantial S&W revolver buying spree and decided to sell them all (just sold the last one) and just keep my Rugers.....started out with a Ruger a zillion years ago. :mrgreen:

k22fan

Blackhawk
RCP1936 said:
I bought the GP100 4" without the sights
Think it looks better
gp100.jpg

That's a looker all right and a good picture to show it off.

I prefer dark sights so I have the blued version which I intend to get full size old Ruger grips installed on. Mine came complete with a free rumor: production runs of 4" fixed sighted .38 GP 100s are done to fill prison system and security company orders. The store owner thought them undesirable and priced mine accordingly. At such times I don't argue with a seller. I just leave quietly with a smile fondling what he didn't value.