Old Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Butch1782

Bearcat
Looking for info I have Ruger Single Six 22 mag it has an extra cylinder 22 not marked but from what I have read it is short,long,LR both cylinders have the last three digits of the Serial number on them I called Ruger they said it was made in 1963 but gave me a number of a guy I should call so I did but have not herd back from him the box has cat#RSSM 6 1/2 Bbl 22W.M.R Caliber this gun has not been fired the hammer has not been cocked does any know what the value might be.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Butch1782,

What type of "info" are you looking for? You know what model it is and approximate production date. Shipping date can only be determined by Ruger Letter and they are not doing that right now.

Just FYI Ruger did not mark BOTH cylinders with last three digits. The .22 short, long, and long rifle cylinder can be identified by the firing pin ring and the .22 WMR without ring and recessed chambers.

I would think the gun has been fired and surely it was cocked. If by chance you are thinking there is no drag marks on the cylinders means not cocked, does not apply to Ruger Old Models. Correctly handled OMs do not ring.

OMs should be carried with hammer down on empty chamber. This is accomplished by load first chamber, skip a chamber, and load last four. ALWAYS bring hammer to full cock prior to slowly releasing hammer down.

The very first Ruger Convertibles were guns like yours that had the .22 WMR as the primary cylinder and the .22 LR as the additional chambering.

Black plastic grips or walnut? How are the cylinders marked, stamped numbers or scribed numbers? Steel ejector rod housing?

Sounds like a nice gun, site unseen $450.

SATCOM

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Ok, if you gun is marked on the frame as a "22 magnum" and came with an extra 22 LR cylinder,,, you will have a later version of a convertible. As noted above, we need the serial number to truly assist you more. Or, at least most of it. Example; 3122XX.
Also, in 1963 is the era of "transition" guns. As such, more details may be needed. Pull the grips & look for the grip frame markings such as; XR3 or XR3-RED.
The more details we have the more we can help.
GOOD pictures help a LOT. If you don't know how to post pics here, visit the "Gallery" section, look at the "sticky" at the top & it has instructions on how to get pics here.

Butch1782

Bearcat
Serial # 3725xx don't know how to post pic yet but I am working on it. it has the XR3-RED on the frame found that last night the cylinders are scribed with the last three of the serial this belonged to a guy that was a collector and did shoot them the gun is unfired.the frame has 22 cal but the box has 22WMR.

Butch1782

Bearcat
when i called Ruger about this revolver they told me that i needed to contact Jay Hansen does any know who this is or why they would tell me to call him.

street

Hunter
With the serial number your gun appears to be a type 3 transition gun. Your gun will have the small size serial numbers, (1/8 in. instead of the later 1/4 in size. It will have the XR3-RED grip frame and it should have an alum. ejector rod housing.

At this time both cylinders should have the last 3 digits of the serial number scratched not stamped, on the front of the cylinder. The box should have RSSM for the model number as the first Ruger Single-Sixes with 6 1/2 in bl. were mag. only and the RSSM stands for "Ruger Single Six Magnum". Ruger never changed the model number on the box even after they started making the convertibles, like you have. Ruger will list your gun as a RSSMX, X stands for convertible, but they will never put that on the box. The only place that will be stamped is on the Shipping box. Your gun is some what hard to find as only about 8750 in your barrel length were made, and to be mint with the box makes your gun rare. Nice find!!!!!! :D

chet15

Hawkeye
A nice Old model Type 3 Transition RSSMX is pretty tough to find in the midwest. Yours has the box. I'd say you are somewhere in the $450/$475 range.
Chet15

street

Hunter
You just don't find them like that very often!!!!! That gun is somewhat rare, but considering the shape it and the package is in then that makes your gun VERY RARE! By the pictures it appears to be a MINT 51 year old gun. Again great find. Oh! By the way that little hang tag, with the Ruger bird, stating the frame is made of chrome molybdenum steel, is rare too!!!!!

Butch1782

Bearcat
Thanks guys for all the info the guy that Ruger told me to call finally called me back today he said basically the same thing that everybody on this post is been saying very rare and impossible to find in that shape but again thanks to all that helped. This is a great forum now is there any Ruger collectors that might be interested in this pistol.

princeout

Blackhawk
Butch1782 said:
now is there any Ruger collectors that might be interested in this pistol.

Put an ad in the classifieds with your price and let the PM's begin - if they haven't already started!

Good luck!
Tim