Finally! A three inch GP100...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Been trying to hunt one of these down forever it seems. I don't buy guns online and have to either trade or sell when I get a new one. The bane of being poor. ;)

I've owned a plethora of 4 and 6 inch GP's over the years, but the 3 incher has always been a grail gun of sorts.

I'd gone into one of the LGS's with the intent of getting a S&W Shield and sure enough I saw this sitting there. They'd just gotten it in. First time I'd seen one in over ten years.

Found a nice stump the other day that'd been torn into by one of our local bruins for a backstop.

First thing, the Hogues had to go. I've got a couple sets of the factory compacts laying around just waiting for the opportunity to use again. Stripped it down and did some action work. Smooth as Louisiana sweet tea.

For me, the perfect packin' pistol...
20140529_102226_zps68cb889c.jpg

20140529_102218_zps857ad0b5.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Skalkaho Slim said:
Been trying to hunt one of these down forever it seems...

For me, the perfect packin' pistol...
Can't argue with that. The 4" packs pretty well but that one will be just that much better with a shorter barrel and without the rear sight. :D

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Solid revolver....
Love the "fixed" rear sight, and will eventually buy one of these for treatment at Gemini Customs......

Thanks for sharing great pics!

eveled

Hawkeye
Nice gun, especially with the old style compact grips. Ed

trapperon

Blackhawk
slim

great revolver! I was toying with one of the new match champion gp100's, but the more I thought about it I think my 3 inch half lug stainless gp100 is much more cool! I was surprised how dead on my fixed sights were right out of the box! They are little powerhouse tanks!

Congratulations on a great find!

Ron

357 Terms

Bearcat
The first thing I did to mine was ditch those Hogue's for the compacts also.

I really love my 3in GP, I even qualified with it.

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
Looks really nice!
Here's hoping you can save up for a Shield though, it's a great little carry pistol.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Thanks for the kind words everyone! For as long as I've been wanting one of these little guys, it feels good to finally find one and be in the position to get it.

Getting some leather made up as this is going on the hip ricky tic!

I had a 4 incher I let go. Grrrr. Mine shot fine with the compacts, and never thought of changing them unlike the Security Six that got Pachmyers. Even with a 3 inch barrel a GP is a heavy gun. That sure helps with the shooting :). Nice gun-ENJOY!
gramps

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I do like those short Six guns!!!

I can't believe I haven't had a chance to wring this thing out yet! I've got a coffee can full of 125gr Montana Gold JHP's just rarin' to go. :)

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I'm late to this party but you found a nice gun. I just stumbled upon this as I recently been thinking a 3 incher would be nice to have. I have a 5 incher and a 3 inch sp101. Would like to add a 3 and the elusive half lug gp they offered a few years back

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I found this one a while back.

2jfi1l3.jpg

A 3 Inch GP100 with Adjustable Sights. Chambered in 38 Special +P.
Off came the Hogues, and on went the Altamont Lett style Fancy Fish Scale Grips. It has also been polished, and springs and shims added. The front sight is a quick change Marble fiber optic.

I really wish that Altamont would make the Lett style Compact Grips for the GP100. I would really like to try out a set.

Bob R