If Ruger brought the Old Army back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drastic_quench

Bearcat
- would you be interested in a five shot .50 caliber version?

Clements does a conversion that shoots .490 balls @1250fps but it costs $1295. I'm sure that's a perfectly fair price for the amount of work involved, but dang, thats a chunk of change -- especially considering the high prices decent shape ROAs are commanding on gunbroker for those of us that don't already own one.

So I was day dreaming about the Old Army coming back, and I thought wouldn't it be nice if they had a .50 caliber option if they reintroduced it. Between S&Ws 500 and 460 and Magnum Research's 45-70 BFR, I don't think Ruger is ever going to be The King of Big Bore Revolvers, BUT this would be a very unique big bore offering that no other company could touch.

In classic Ruger fashion, I imagine they'd really confuse the market with the name. Just imagine: The Ruger New Old Army.

Kanook

Buckeye
My Old Army works great as is. If I lived in a state that didn't allow use of a .457 to hunt with, I would be all over one of those conversions. I even bought a stainless Ruger for the conversion, then the day it arrived my loving wife snagged it before I even got a chance to inspect it.

Rclark

Hunter
I guess I'd have to say no. Fine with .457 ball. Went through about 70 balls on Thursday in one of my Old Army revolvers. Very enjoyable. This one was one of the 7 1/2" versions. One thing I noticed is when I picked up New Vaquero for some .45 Colt shooting afterwards ... What a difference in feel. The Old Army is a 'tank' in comparision to the New Vaquero!!! The New Vaquero felt like I had a feather in my hand in comparison and much better balanced. Like my Old Army's though!

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
I want one of the 5-1/2" fixed sight models. Missed out the first time around. Had one in my hand and didn't have the cash.

Rclark said:
I guess I'd have to say no. Fine with .457 ball. Went through about 70 balls on Thursday in one of my Old Army revolvers. Very enjoyable. This one was one of the 7 1/2" versions. One thing I noticed is when I picked up New Vaquero for some .45 Colt shooting afterwards ... What a difference in feel. The Old Army is a 'tank' in comparision to the New Vaquero!!! The New Vaquero felt like I had a feather in my hand in comparison and much better balanced. Like my Old Army's though!
Thumbs Up Twice!
My 45 New Vaquero 45 has become my fun gun. :D

Rclark

Hunter
I want one of the 5-1/2" fixed sight models
I'd like to eventually find another one to make it a 'pair' (blued or SS). Not picky.... They are nice. My current one had the action done and now it has a nice 2# clean breaking trigger pull. I don't know why, but the Old Army just calls to me.

caryc

Hawkeye
Here's a pic of mine. They are nice guns.

old-army.jpg

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I love my ROA's and I'm not ashamed to say it. My first one is a stainless 1976 7 1/2 liberty model, found it in a pawn shop. It needed a little cleaning but shined up nice. My second was another stainless but this one is a 5 1/2 fixed sight model, I havent shot this one yet but the 7 1/2 is a tack driver. I believe they are some of the best black powder pistols out there.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I thought I would pass this on after I read the title of the post.

I sent a ROA Hi-Polish cylinder back to Ruger three weeks ago to have them remove to frozen nipples. Three days later Ruger Service called to inform me that they could not remove the nipples because they did not have a replacement cylinder should something go wrong removing the frozen one's. He stated that they had very few ROA parts and absolutely no cylinders.

I ask if he thought they would be made again and that made him chuckle.

Terry

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, I'd be all over it.

But they wouldn't call it a 'New' Old Army because it's a different caliber. There's no 'Old' Old Army in .50.

Just like they didn't call the New Vaquero in 44 Spl a New Vaquero, just Vaquero, because there was no original Vaquero in 44 Spl.