Hunter scope mount options

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a Hunter model in 41 mag I'm tinkering with. It of course has the scope rings. But the UltraDot I have will not fit the rings, nor in-between the rings. The UltraDot came with a Weaver type set of rings, but those do not fit the Ruger scope ring cuts in the hunter, of course.
So, what are my options?
Is there a weaver base adaptor or Picitanny rail type to fit the Ruger ring cuts?

I can easily put the UltraDot on another gun, as I can also put a regular scope on my Hunter. I'm just exploring my options here.
Dern New Models,,, so confusing at times!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Scope mount from Power Custom. :D
http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=744

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
Burris makes Ruger adaptors. Thats what is on my Hunter along with their Signature Zee rings.
That one from Power Custom looks great!

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks all,,,! I was thinking Weigand, but I didn't have time this morning to do an extensive search.
I'll look into the Power Custom too!

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
What are the Weigand and the Power Custom mounts made out of, aluminum or steel?

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Aluminum. There has been discussion here and on the SA site that the Weigand does not hold up well on Hunters with a scope because there is no rear attachment point. However, I have had no issues with this setup and the small reflex sight that I use.

tuner

Bearcat
I hope the Weigand holds up well to the recoil of the .41 mag. I have a SBHH .44 Mag. that I purchased an Ultra Dot II for and of course it would not fit between the dovetails on the Ruger. Bought the Weigand it looked like a quality mount but found out that the roll pins that are used to index into the cutouts in the Ruger will not hold up to the recoil and will eventually bend. I was cautioned about this by another member of this forum and made sure that my mount was secure at all times; roll pins still bent and poi changed. My load was a 265 gr, cast bullet backed by 21.5 grains of 296, a little shy of max load but it is accurate as all get out. The past several days I have called Brownell's, Midway and Ruger, spent hours searching the internet to see if they had a mount/rings that I could use and no one had a solution to the mounting problem. I am told that Weigand will replace the roll pins with solid steel pins (why don't they use them in the first place) if I return the mount to them, but I am concerned that the stronger pins would start to batter the aluminum mount and eventually start displacing metal in the mount and possibly the rib of the barrel and screw things up. The solution would be a simple 30mm extension ring that fit a SBHH, but none of the above could find such an item and I have not been able to find one searching the internet. My current thinking is that I will buy the highest 30mm ring I can find that will fit a SBHH, cut it in half, and fabricate my own extension ring and have it welded back together, but that is a lot of work.

BTW, I did not intend to hijack your thread but I thought it was important for you to know the potential problems with the Weigand mount I and others have had. It may hold up in the .41 mag. but then who knows. I am open to any suggestions.

tuner

Bearcat
Spent some more time on the internet searching for an appropriate extension ring for a SBHH and found that Leupold does make one but it looks like it is for the M77 rifle and do not know if it will fit the SBHH. I emailed Leupold this AM and asked if it would fit the SBHH and what ring heights it came in. When I get an answer I will post it here. This would greatly simplify the mounting process for me and be something for you and others to keep in your hip pocket if the Weigand mount does not stay put with the recoil of your .41 mag.

Waiting for their reply!

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
The Burris mounts are all steel, and by using the offset plastic inserts with the Signature Zee rings, a scope can be mounted very near it's optical center plus they will never leave a ring mark so lapping scope rings is history.
This setup is rock solid, and seems to be holding up fine on my SBH Hunter.

Seeing as the Weegen is aluminum, and individuals here have had issues, I would be more inclined to go with the Burris, as stated, all steel. I am running a .44 model. I have a red dot in mind..... Can you post a link to the Burris or part number?

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
I've had these a couple of years and there seems to have been a change for the better.
I have part # 41099, and the pack they came in states they will fit a Redhawk.
Best I remember, I spoke with someone at Burris before ordering these, and got what they said would work, but none specifically state they will fit a SHB Hunter.
As you can see with the ones in the link, one base is shorter than the other, which will allow the rings to be changed without removing one of the bases. I am unable to do with the set I have.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/bases.html
If ordering these again today, I would call Burris first to be sure I got the set with one base that is shorter like the photo in the link, instead of the ones like I have.
I would feel better about these if they were one piece, but that isn't a option.
Most of the shooting I have done with these were with a 2.5 x 8 Leupold which is a much larger and heavier scope.
I have just recently switched to a 4x on the gun, but haven't had any problem with the mounting system regardless which scope was used. Here is a pic of the gun wearing the 2.5x8.

Latest posts