Returning revolver to Ruger - how does this work???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drfarth

Bearcat
I finally got around to calling up Ruger to have them take a look at my Super Redhawk's binding cylinder (I'm slow-moving, I know). They agreed to fix it for me, created an RMA number, and told me to pack it up and go ship it off via UPS or FedEX, and they also said I would have to use a Next Day service. "OK, I'll pack it up and get around to that in a few days," I thought... Well, I went to the UPS Store to get a quote today, and it turns out that it would cost me $108 to ship this thing Next Day Saver, the cheapest Next Day service they offer. It was about that time that I remembered the talk on this forum about some sort of $30 return label. I looked it up on their website to confirm, and sure enough: "Prepaid return label - $30." Now I'm wondering why they didn't suggest I get one of those...? Do I have to special request it, is there a secret password, or does that only apply to some returns and not others? What gives, Ruger???

Of course, by the time I'd realized my mistake, it was already past 5:00PM ET, and Ruger had closed up shop for the week. I'm leaving town on Sunday for all next week, so even if I get Ruger on the phone on Monday, I won't be able to do anything about it til I get back.

I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this issue here because frankly, I don't understand why Ruger's customer service has such a great reputation if this is the kind of money I'm going to have to spend to return my revolver to them.

I just want to get the thing fixed, and this is turning into a major ordeal. There's a couple options I'm seeing: should I...
1) wait until Monday, call Ruger, ask for a $30 return label, and just ship the gun off when I get back in town next week? (assuming that they will agree to sell me one... I have NO idea why they wouldn't have suggested that on the phone if I was eligible to buy one)
2) just find a local gunsmith to solve my problem for <$100?
3) go to an FFL or gun shop tomorrow, and have them ship this back to Ruger for me for less(?) than $30?

Sorry for the superfluous thread. I realize I could solve the issue by simply waiting until Monday to talk to someone at Ruger, but by doing that, I'd be delaying getting this gun fixed for at least a week, due to me being out of town. By contrast, I could find a gunsmith or FFL on Saturday and get the wheels in motion as early as tomorrow, if someone suggests that route...

Most of all, I'm just curious why Ruger has this great reputation for customer service when they tell me to go spend $108 to return my revolver to them.

6gun

Hunter
The great reputation comes from them giving you a free shipping label, and making free repairs, if you have owned the gun for less than a year they will usually email you a free return shipping label, if you ask for it, if your slow to getting around to requesting repairs and have owned the gun over a year chances are you will be paying shipping, Ruger has no written warranty of any kind and it's up to them to decide if they want to pay your shipping or repair the gun no matter how long you have owned it, if you owned it a week or 10 years it's their option what they will pay for.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Call and ask about a shipping label. I had a ruger rifle I bought for a hunt that never happened. Gun sat in the safe for about eight years. Got around to playing with it and had a problem. Called ruger explained the situation. They sent me a shipping label and the gun back to me fixed perfectly in about a week. Ruger is great for the most part. But sometimes you might have to call a couple times to get the answer you want. Try emailing them. Sometimes they are so busy whoever answers the phone wants to keep things as short as possible and don't give you all the info.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Do NOT blame Ruger for such high shipping charges. It is not their fault that UPS or Fedex charge such prices. it's a company policy by those 2 carriers. Several years ago, UPS & Fedex both were having "issues" with THEIR employees stealing handguns. They responded by changing the way they do business. By making all handgun shipping be "next day air" & charging much more.
How do we get around that?
Well, use a local FFL who uses the USPS.
ANY FFL can ship USPS as long as they file a copy of their FFL with the USPS. Shipping a handgun then costs about $20 insured generally.

Now as to your posted options.
(1) You can call & request the $30 label from Ruger. As to why the service rep you spoke with didn't tell you about this,, we have no way of knowing. Maybe they didn't realize your local shipper was gouging you? Maybe they know that USPS charges less than the $30 they offer?
(2) I would not go to a local gunsmith when Ruger has agreed to fix a problem.
(3) See my thoughts above. Using a FFL that uses the USPS will be cheaper, and you will get things done properly. Pre-package the gun to where the FFL doesn't have to do any or much work in helping you. You will be doing without the gun until the service is complete, and as such a few extra days or whatever won't amount to anything when you know it was fixed right by Ruger.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
It isn't Ruger's fault. I sent a NM Vaquero back, called Ruger customer service. They gave me an RMA shipping label. I printed it from my email. Got on UPS web site and scheduled a pick up and VOILA! Off it goes. Got it back in 3 weeks to the day. You just have to act accordingly! I have done this for friends, too! BhK

drfarth

Bearcat
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
Do NOT blame Ruger for such high shipping charges.
Calm down, Ruger Internet Defense Force. I'm not. If you'll read my post again without the "rage glasses" on, you'll see that what I am questioning is why all these other people posting in this thread got emailed an RMA label, but I was not told about this option.

It is not their fault that UPS or Fedex charge such prices. it's a company policy by those 2 carriers. Several years ago, UPS & Fedex both were having "issues" with THEIR employees stealing handguns. They responded by changing the way they do business. By making all handgun shipping be "next day air" & charging much more.
Again, I'm not blaming Ruger. However, I am aware that UPS and FedEx charge consumers a lot more than what they charge businesses, maybe as much as 200-300% more. I've had a mountain bike shipped to me internationally at the rate of $70 shipping to the business. UPS doesn't even allow consumers to ship packages that large, and even if I'd broken the bike down into frame and wheels only so as to fit into a smaller box, UPS would have charged me over $300 for their slowest international shipping to ship that bike, according to their quote.

So even if Ruger charged me what they pay out of pocket for an RMA label, I am sure that it would be a lot less than $100 for a small, revolver-sized package, even Next Day Air. The "$30" nominal fee quoted on their website for a "prepaid return label" sounds more realistic, to be honest.

How do we get around that?
Well, use a local FFL who uses the USPS.
ANY FFL can ship USPS as long as they file a copy of their FFL with the USPS. Shipping a handgun then costs about $20 insured generally.
This basically answers my question. Thanks.

Now as to your posted options.
(1) You can call & request the $30 label from Ruger. As to why the service rep you spoke with didn't tell you about this,, we have no way of knowing. Maybe they didn't realize your local shipper was gouging you? Maybe they know that USPS charges less than the $30 they offer?
I'm pretty sure they know what UPS and FedEx charge for Next Day Air services, even charged to consumers. They deal with people returning guns to them every day. UPS and FedEx rates are pretty standardized, and it's hard to get "gouged" on them unless you go to some little Mom 'n Pop store that estimates shipping rates without an electronic scale or something.
(2) I would not go to a local gunsmith when Ruger has agreed to fix a problem.
(3) See my thoughts above. Using a FFL that uses the USPS will be cheaper, and you will get things done properly. Pre-package the gun to where the FFL doesn't have to do any or much work in helping you. You will be doing without the gun until the service is complete, and as such a few extra days or whatever won't amount to anything when you know it was fixed right by Ruger.
OK. Thank you for your input.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
I think I see the problem. :wink: The only Ruger I ever had to send back involved 1 polite phone call to Ruger CS, for a mailing label (free), and a trip to the UPS depot. :D

Also. You went to the UPS store NOT the local UPS distribution center. There is a difference. The local UPS stores here around Dallas won't touch a firearm.

I personally can (and have) mail a gun to an FFL or back to the manufacturer for around 30 from the local UPS distribution center.

drfarth

Bearcat
Kevin said:
Also. You went to the UPS store NOT the local UPS distribution center. There is a difference. The local UPS stores here around Dallas won't touch a firearm.

I personally can (and have) mail a gun to an FFL or back to the manufacturer for around 30 from the local UPS distribution center.

The pricing should be almost the same between distribution center and UPS Store.... No, really.

And $30? Are you talking about Next Day Air, or Ground? What year was this?

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
If i need to have a firearm shipped i take it to my LGS and they send it for $25.00. I had them ship a Walther PPK/s back to S&W and a SR9 back to Ruger and they took care of everything, it was quick and easy.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
drfarth said:
Kevin said:

The pricing should be almost the same between distribution center and UPS Store.... No, really.

UPS Store is not UPS, they are a Middleman between you and UPS, sometimes it's more Convenient to use the UPS Store than going to a UPS Distribution Center..................

drfarth

Bearcat
Chief_10Beers said:
drfarth said:
Kevin said:

UPS Store is not UPS, they are a Middleman between you and UPS, sometimes it's more Convenient to use the UPS Store than going to a UPS Distribution Center..................

I know that. Have you ever compared prices between the distribution center and the other retailers? They're nearly identical.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
drfarth said:
I know that. Have you ever compared prices between the distribution center and the other retailers? They're nearly identical.
The UPS Store can make their own rules and most will not ship guns or ammo. To be sure it ships go to the UPS distribution center or better yet have a FFL ship USPS. If you get a shipping label from Ruger just call UPS for a home pick-up.

Wasn't there a time when you could send a gun back to the manufacturer via USPS? ..and they could send it to your home as well? Seems I read that in one of the owners manuals.

contender

Ruger Guru
I was not wearing "rage glasses." The way I read your post, you were pretty upset at the extremely high shipping charges and was considering having a local gunsmith do the work.
Quote; "I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this issue here because frankly, I don't understand why Ruger's customer service has such a great reputation if this is the kind of money I'm going to have to spend to return my revolver to them."
This part appears to blame Ruger for high shipping.

Or, you were upset that a worker at Ruger didn't tell you something you assumed they should know.
Quote; "Prepaid return label - $30." Now I'm wondering why they didn't suggest I get one of those...?

With the 1800+ employees at Ruger, I'm SURE none of them know everything about every option offered at Ruger. Unfortunately, at Ruger, there is a turn-over of people, and quite often, you can get a newer employee who is not aware of all the potential offerings Ruger has. The RMA offering may or may not be available to everyone for every problem.
Many folks here have called Ruger with a problem. And when they questioned the answers to their issues, and requested to speak to a supervisor, OR called a second time, found that they did qualify for a RMA.
Please understand, I only responded to your statements & your questions. I am NOT upset at you or your questions. Or I'm not defending Ruger as much as I'm looking at it from a business standpoint.
You took your gun to a UPS store. Not the same as a UPS hub. (That has been discussed & cleared up above.)
I hopefully offered alternative ideas about shipping to help, not upset you.
And, by the rest of your responses to me, you did understand what I was offering as help.

We do try to help folks here as much as we can. You are a new member, and I was only offering help not knowing you or anything. Many folks have never had to try & deal with stupidly high, unnecessary shipping prices from UPS or Fedex. And, having spent time talking with many Ruger employees, as well as owning my own business, I understand business issues such as employee knowledge, employee turnover, liability, warranty work etc. I was just trying to help,,, no "rage glasses" at all.

Now, the most important thing is getting your gun fixed & all!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I sent a BH .41 Bisley to Ruger for repairs just 2 weeks ago.
I paid $107.00 to ship by ups. I could not bring myself to ask Ruger to pay shipping on a 12 year old gun even though I purchased it NIB just a month or so ago.
I am pleased that they will repair anything that was shipped from the factory defective and do it for free. the lady said ,when I called, "if it left the factory that way we will fix it for free".

drfarth

Bearcat
Called Ruger back several times. Did not find anyone on the other end of the phone who wanted to send me an RMA. Some didn't even know what it was. Called around and found an LGS who would return the gun to Ruger ($50 was the cheapest in town). Spending that kind of money to fix a gun that has been shot less than 100 times does not thrill me.
...but GOD FORBID I have a contrary opinion (incoming contender ragepost). :roll:

Moral of the story: shoot the $H!T out of all your guns in the first year of ownership so that any potential problems can come to the surface and Ruger will fix your gun without you having to spend lots of money on shipping.

6gun

Hunter
drfarth said:
Called Ruger back several times. Did not find anyone on the other end of the phone who wanted to send me an RMA. Some didn't even know what it was. Called around and found an LGS who would return the gun to Ruger ($50 was the cheapest in town). Spending that kind of money to fix a gun that has been shot less than 100 times does not thrill me.
...but GOD FORBID I have a contrary opinion (incoming contender ragepost). :roll:

Moral of the story: shoot the $H!T out of all your guns in the first year of ownership so that any potential problems can come to the surface and Ruger will fix your gun without you having to spend lots of money on shipping.

I'm just glad I didn't have to read those rageposts that's when the foe feature here comes in real handy :p some people are really full of themselves as well as to long winded, easy enough to just block their posts.

Hope all goes well with your repairs and your gun is returned in a timely manner, good luck and keep us updated.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
6gun said:
drfarth said:

I'm just glad I didn't have to read those rageposts that's when the foe feature here comes in real handy :p some people are really full of themselves as well as to long winded, easy enough to just block their posts.Hope all goes well with your repairs and your gun is returned in a timely manner, good luck and keep us updated.
That's exactly why you two fools are headed for mine. :mrgreen:
Contender is one of the most helpful, and knowledgeable members here. You come here whining, and then get offended when nobody wants to hold your hand. Good luck.

6gun

Hunter
Cool put me right on the top of your list and I'll do the same for you :lol: :roll:

drfarth

Bearcat
Poco Oso said:
6gun said:
drfarth said:

I'm just glad I didn't have to read those rageposts that's when the foe feature here comes in real handy :p some people are really full of themselves as well as to long winded, easy enough to just block their posts.Hope all goes well with your repairs and your gun is returned in a timely manner, good luck and keep us updated.
That's exactly why you two fools are headed for mine. :mrgreen:
Contender is one of the most helpful, and knowledgeable members here. You come here whining, and then get offended when nobody wants to hold your hand. Good luck.

What a great attitude. Voice an opinion that differs from the accepted groupthink where certain members are given god-like status and may not be doubted, and you get silenced. 10/10. Would get trolled again!!