Question about the Lipsey's .44 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pal Val

Buckeye
Saw it in the catalog and liked it. SS Super Blackhawk .44 mag. 3.75" barrel. Looks like a handy gun to take along in the woods.

Is anyone familiar with this gun? I'm curious to know how it shoots, balance, etc. Opinions are welcome.

BTW, I would be pleased if this did not become another "What's the best gun to shoot a bear with" discussion. OK?

I have one of these, and it's pretty dandy.

Used to shoot the 4-5/8" models, but since the 3-3/4" model, the 4-5/8" haven't left the safe.

I find no difference in shootability between the little short barreled version, and the 4-5/8" barreled version.
But it's 7/8" easier to pack. :mrgreen:

In the right holster, I've carried this gun as my concealed piece.

P1000374.jpg

WAYNO.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have both the plow handled and Bisley models. They are great shooters but I did have to install front sight blades from .45 Colt BH`s on them to get them to shoot POA with bullets heavier than 240 gr.

They are a hand full with 300 gr. Ruger only loads.

GunHawk

Single-Sixer
Bought this one about 2 months ago and have only shot 24 rounds through it. I'm just getting into reloading and will be shooting it more when I get setup. Bought a Simply Rugged Pancake holster which allows you to carry it strong side or cross draw. With the short barrel it draws easy and is quick to point. Took me awhile to find one but it was worth the hunt.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
I bought the 3.75 plowhandle SBH due to the high cost of the Bisley SBH. Some members did find some good deals on the Bisley but most were around $900. I prefer 45 Colt. I liked them well enough I sent 2 Bisley 45 Colt 7&1/2 BHs to Hogleg Smith for the works and to be cut back to 3.75 inches and sights changed per Chuck100's recommendations. They should be ready any day now and I can hardly wait.
A deputy sheriff friend of mine can shoot the plowhandle SBH better than anything he owns at 50 yards.

stevemb

Hunter
I wish the plow handled one used the longer Hunter grip frame. I am liking my NM Vaq Sheriff 44spec a lot more than I thought I would. This would be more of the same !

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
I have the Bisley handle and I'm getting custom grips to eliminate bite. I shoot 8 grs of Unique and a 240 gr LSWC and it is a shooter. I shot some 300 gr Buffalo Bore ammo and HOLY COW! Its a cannon! I use the 8 gr load and can do some target practice. I carry it in a 7X holster in cross draw config. I ride my horse and it's handy! Gonna get a plow handle, next. JMHO Bhk

Pal Val

Buckeye
I'm really impressed! I appreciate straight talk. Now, I'm off on the hunt for this item. Will report.

Thanks to all!

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
Mr. Jeff Quinn does an excellent review of that pistol over at Gunblast.com.

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-LipseysBisley.htm

I like mine, like a Sheriff's but with adjustable sights. But mine leads up the
barrel pretty badly (worse than 6 other Ruger 44's), and Speer GD 200 gr over
8.5 grs of Unique in 44 Special cases keyhole at 50 ft. Hornady 240 gr XTP's over
24 grs of 296 shoot OK, but fairly unpleasant to shoot in a short barrel. I had to
break out my Lewis lead remover I hadn't used in over 30 years to get the lead out.

Shawn 8-(

GunHawk

Single-Sixer
Pal Val said:
Update: Found one, asking price $700. Passed, for the moment. I think I can do better.
Found mine at Cabelas, $700 is about retail for this Ruger if you can find one.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Thanks! I'll try Cabela's. They have it in the online catalogue, no price given. I have looked at some guns at the Hamburg store, but they're always pricey.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Well I have a winner. My old friends in Phoenxville gave me a price $30 below anyone else, including Cabela's. Add to that a drive of only 30 miles round trip, compared with 180 for Cabela's. It's on back order, but I'm a patient man.

Let's see about the rest... Belt Mtn pin, Wolff springs, a nice set of grips (Ruger's are always too small), and Bowen sights. Add a nice holster, and we have the finished project.

Then, a bit of work on two loads - one for paper and the other for the field.

Thanks for all the tips. I LIKE that holster, BTW.

GunHawk

Single-Sixer
Don't stop looking, I have had two dealers trying to get one since last December. Found one at Cabelas (they had two at the time) and haven't seen one since.