Question about the Lipsey's .44 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Oregon45

Single-Sixer
I've seen several at the big box retailers here in Oregon. The fit of the grips has varied from great to completely unacceptable, and the stamping of the serial numbers has reminded me of a poorly aligned type-writer. Neither are issues Lipsey's can solve, but I do wish Ruger would tighten up their quality control with respect to serial number placement and grip fit on the Bisleys.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Thanks, Hondo! But, I've been there, done that. If the item shows up in the big box stores, yet a small dealer can't get me one, I'm beginning to think that the coffin for the small dealers is already made, and the manufacturers and distributors are driving the nails in them by giving priority to the big kahunas in serving their orders.

Not a pleasant thought. I still believe that America belongs to Americans, not to big corporations selling stuff made in China.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Pal Val said:
Thanks, Hondo! But, I've been there, done that. If the item shows up in the big box stores, yet a small dealer can't get me one, I'm beginning to think that the coffin for the small dealers is already made, and the manufacturers and distributors are driving the nails in them by giving priority to the big kahunas in serving their orders.

Not a pleasant thought. I still believe that America belongs to Americans, not to big corporations selling stuff made in China.

Looks like you may have to take that sentiment to the range and shoot it.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Jim Luke said:
Pal Val said:

Looks like you may have to take that sentiment to the range and shoot it.

OK if I load some ammo made in China in it?

Pal Val

Buckeye
My thanks to the two friends for your PM's! Had problems sending replies, but still appreciate your suggestions.

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
Desertdog said:
Aren't those short-barreled models kind of stout on the recoil? I have 5.5 inch and 7.5 inch
barrel .44 mags, and they still hurt!

They really aren't bad at all, even with full house "Ruger only" loads… so long as you don't try shooting off the bag, off-hand it's really pretty tame… in fact I've never shot a .44 mag (except a S&W 329PD) that was even mildly uncomfortable to shoot, but that's just me. The 3.5" Lispey's SBH is a fine little carry gun, and is quick from the holster, and wight he right loads a very effective stopper. I've only shot one (my boys gun), but man it's scary accurate at 25 yards.

Foxx

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Foxx,

Not to drift off thread here, but you are dead on about the 329PD recoil. My son has one and with 300 gr bullet loads, especially, I had to wait 30 seconds or so between shots for the sting and numbness in my hand to go away so I could grip the gun with full strength for the next shot.

However, I discovered by installing the "Hogue Tamer" grips with built-in backstrap padding, exclusive to the 500 Mag and fortunately same grip frame as the 329PD, the experience was a whole lot more fun!! And it was only about $35 for another set, but only available from S&W.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I've been shooting .44 Mag for years. Recoil is manageable, as long as you stick to your fundamentals - good grip, steady follow-up.

Pal Val

Buckeye
End of problem. Got a call from my FFL. The revolver is on its way. I'll pick it up tomorrow. I'll post a range report, but it will take a while. I tinker a bit on a new gun before taking it to the range.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Just picked up a new .44 mag Bisley 3.75"bbl. Fit and function are really nice, although at first try, the trigger is a bit heavier than I normally get from a NIB gun. Nothing to worry about. I'll get to work on it as soon as I get the time (pretty busy right now). I do like the balance, a SA gun with such a short barrel being something new to me.

No surprise that I didn't like the stock rear sight. I'll need to get one of the Bowen sights I like. Brownell's has them on back-order. I figure this gun will be going to the range sometime at the end of July, if all the pieces fall into place.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Took the gun to the range yesterday. The factory trigger is 4 1/2 lbs. Felt heavy, but not gritty, as so many other new guns. Pretty crisp let off. Took two loads,100roumds each, both hard-cast lead 240 gr. SWC. At 25 yds, there was an 8" difference in elevation between the light load (Unique) which shot high and a near-max load of Blue Dot. Still too soon to call them groups, but got better accuracy with the Blue Dot loads. Recoil was noticeable, but nothing to make an issue, and the "fun factor" was pretty high. I like this little gun.

Shooting from a rest was a waste of time. Loads "stringed" badly. The gun simply doesn't react well to a fixed rest, even when all I was supporting was my wrists.

Fired 150 rounds in the session, with groups at the end of it hovering in the 8" range. Not too shabby for a brand-new gun, open sights and a 3.75" barrel. I expected leading, but it turned out to be minimal.

Work done yesterday: Polished the throats. Put blue loctite on front frame screw, which worked itself loose twice at the range. Gave the barrel 500 strokes with JB bore paste. Nice and shiny now. Stoned off a bit of an edge in the trigger guard.

To-do: New lighter springs. Polish the action parts, put in a Bowen sight, work up a few test loads to see which it likes better, get a good holster. Ordered the springs and sight from Brownell's (sight in back-order).

This will be my new camp gun when camping, fishing or hunting in bear country.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Cool!! I have shot mine a lot from a rest without any problems at all and they are every bit as accurate as I ever expected with the short sight radius.
I have both Plow and Bisley gripped 3 3/4" Supers. I installed .45 Colt front sight blades in mine to get them to print point of aim at 30' with elevation in the center of adjustment with my loads. I like the 300 gr. cast loads at around 1,000-1,100 fps. they shoot good and penetrate (fully) the toughest paper target I have tried them on to date.
Have fun!!

medicdave

Blackhawk
Does this count, still a work in progress, waiting on Bowen rough country rear, Bowen front sight blank to make a partridge out of, a belt mountain locking sheriffs base pin and base pin latch, and to fit the grip frame down to the grips and install medallions (walnut and buffalo horn).

medicdave

Blackhawk
The brown one is a ross leather 4" k/l/n from South Africa I picked up used. The black set is from cmeholsters.com and was custom ordered with his makers mark on the back as it's a bit big and ugly. Very good people to work with and the wait was only a little over a week for the custom work. They also sell on ebay if you don't mind the makers mark.

Pal Val

Buckeye
medicdave said:
The brown one is a ross leather 4" k/l/n from South Africa I picked up used. The black set is from cmeholsters.com and was custom ordered with his makers mark on the back as it's a bit big and ugly. Very good people to work with and the wait was only a little over a week for the custom work. They also sell on ebay if you don't mind the makers mark.

Thanks for the info!

bigbobg

Bearcat
Pal Val said:
Update: Found one, asking price $700. Passed, for the moment. I think I can do better.
I paid $659. With taxes and $2.00 for background check it was $701.00 out the door.