Emblem Black Eagle or White / Silver Eagle and Grip Size

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gene089

Bearcat
I own a couple of the new Blackhawk Flattops that I really love and I am shopping Ebay for some new grips. The sellers there seem about as confused as I am about these grips and the frame sizes. I think I have the "new" XR3 frame and looking at the Ruger Catalogs, all these new flattops (blue and SS) have black eagles in the grip emblem. Is that a positive indicator for frame size? If the seller says his grips are for "New" Vaquero and flattops and have a black eagle and look like factory production, are they probably correct? Thanks for any help.

hittman

Staff member
Single Action Grip Frames Explained

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131343

Hondo44

Hawkeye
gene089 said:
I own a couple of the new Blackhawk Flattops that I really love and I am shopping Ebay for some new grips. The sellers there seem about as confused as I am about these grips and the frame sizes. I think I have the "new" XR3 frame and looking at the Ruger Catalogs, all these new flattops (blue and SS) have black eagles in the grip emblem. Is that a positive indicator for frame size? If the seller says his grips are for "New" Vaquero and flattops and have a black eagle and look like factory production, are they probably correct? Thanks for any help.

Gene,

Yes it's a positive indicator of the XR3 grip size, but they might be for an Old Model XR3 aluminum grip frame and not interchangeable with the new grips.

Yes, the seller's grips are correct for the new XR3 grip frame if they have a hollowed out space on the backs which was for the internal lock these grips were originally designed to fit. Even though the locks have been discontinued, current XR3 grip panels are still supplied with the hollow so they fit guns with or w/o the lock.

New Vaq and new Flattops do have the new Steel XR3 grip frames. The "lead pipe cinch" to confirm it is that they only measure 7/16" wide. All other Ruger grip frames are 1/2" wide (excluding Bearcat of course).

Latest posts