So what about this pistol........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Rare....very rare.......not so much.......run of the mill. Or is this just something somebody put together. Picked this one up today for what I thought was a good price. It's really clean. Not perfect but should be a great shooter. It's a 45 Colt of which I only had one other Blackhawk in that caliber. Serial number puts it a 1991 model

DGW1949

Hunter
Perty-much a regular New Model Blackhawk.
The short (4-5/8") barrel is usualy worth a premium over the long (7-1/2") barreled version.
The grip frame didn't come that way, it's black coating has been removed. While not a common modification, it's not all that uncommon either.Personaly, I think that it adds a certain amount of charm.
Walnut grips used to the standard for Ruger's Blackhawk but that is no longer the case. You did good there.

Hope this helped.

DGW

Jim Puke

Hunter
It did not come from the factory with that color grip frame.

However, if the price was right as you say, you did good and it will be a good shooter for years to come.

It is hard to go wrong with a Blackhawk in most any configuration.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Grip frame is stainless............and I thought I had read somewhere about the possibility of some of these being built similar to the Arizona Ranger Commemorative that was built at one time.

Maybe somebody just liked the "Ranger" pistol and did this one to look like it.

Of course the guy I got it from said it was "factory" but I know better than to always believe that.........lol

Either way, I like the two tone with the stainless frame. Makes a nice looking gun.

After now looking at it MUCH closer.........this frame is fit PERFECTLY. So either somebody spent a good amount of time on it, found a stainless frame that fit perfectly(doubtful) of paid a Smith to do it. Like I said, I am in it right, so maybe I just have a nice custom pistol. Trigger is really sweet too..........so likely somebody had it built.

6gun

Hunter
What you got is a good shooter someone put together like that, just shoot and enjoy it.

Hugh

Buckeye
Hi,

Stainless Steel grip frame, and it is pretty, I like it. I have a similar one but of 1979 vintage. Mine has a Stainless Steel grip frame, and, real ivory grip panels. Not rare but a great shooter. Enjoy it.

Here's mine, it also has a steel ejector rod housing:
RugerNewModelBlackhawkSerial46-50612Cal45Colt_zps82e1e1f1.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hugh,

Did yours come with the ss grip frame or was it added? SS hammer too? If so, it's the right year to be one of the 50 Arizona Ranger 'over-run' guns but just outside the serial # range of 46-44228 to 46-44550.

Hugh

Buckeye
Hondo44 said:
Hugh,

Did yours come with the ss grip frame or was it added? SS hammer too? If so, it's the right year to be one of the 50 Arizona Ranger 'over-run' guns but just outside the serial # range of 46-44228 to 46-44550.
Hi Hondo,

Nope, I bought the shooter from a guy at a gun show. It had alloy grip frame and ejector rod housing (ERH), it did have the ivory though. Someone here on the forum had a stainless grip frame for a good price so it became mine; I was looking for steel for the weight/balance and the stainless one popped up when I was looking. Got the blue steel erh from Numrich. Wasn't aware of the Arizona Ranger.

It's my favorite shooter.