Medium frame flattop 45 Colt throats

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've been looking for some of these Lipsey/Davidson Blackhawk flattop specials lately. For those of you who have bought one, how have you found the cylinder throats to be? Do they tend to suffer from the old bugaboo of undersized throats, or are they good to go out of the box?
Many thanks for any info - and yes, I do realize that some individual guns may be worse than others - hence my interest in getting some sampling of info..

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
Poco Oso said:
Both cylinders were undersized on on my Lipsey's Flat top Convertible (.45 Colt/ACP)

Same here. I had them reamepd by CAS before he retired. Made a difference.

MSB9021

Bearcat
I own a stainless .45 Colt/ACP convertible and found both cylinders had undersized throats. I had the cutter tool (from Brownell's) so I took the throats of both out to approx. .4525. Not a bad shooter before, but much better afterward.

Don't know what constitutes "undersized" for others but all 12 of mine are spot on .451. Haven't shot the Colt cylinder but the ACP will put everything ( .451 JHP's, copper plated .451 Rainiers, .452 Berrys, .452 Xtremes and .452 soft cast) into an inch or less at 50 feet. I'm sure it would group an inch at 25 yds if I were still capable. I couldn't be happier with it.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
The throats on both cylinders of my Stainless Flat top 45C/45acp measure .451.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Couldn't push a .451 Hornady FMJ-RN through either one on the Flat Top( it's stainless, too). I also had CAS ream mine, before he retired. It makes a big difference if you're going to shoot cast boolits. The ACP cylinder on my standard framed Blackhawk, is close enough, but I'm going to have to order the tool from Brownells to do the Colt cylinder.

Rclark

Hunter
Mine were all undersize. Now they are all properly .4525 and all shoot very well. Undersize is simply a .452 lead bullet will not enter the cylinder throats with finger pressure. Or if you want to be more precise, a .452 plug gauge will not enter the throats.

FYI, none of mine, either large frame or medium frame, see any jacketed bullets ... only lead.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
I have the Lipsey's 5.5" Blued 45C FT and I was able to pass a .452 Cast Boolit easily with my Finger in all throats in both of the Cylinders. Maybe I got lucky?......................

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Rclark said:
Mine were all undersize. Now they are all properly .4525 and all shoot very well. Undersize is simply a .452 lead bullet will not enter the cylinder throats with finger pressure. Or if you want to be more precise, a .452 plug gauge will not enter the throats.

FYI, none of mine, either large frame or medium frame, see any jacketed bullets ... only lead.

I just bought a couple new moulds for the ACP, (the Flat Top my wife now claims :? ) and will save the jacketed for the 1911. :D

gman

Bearcat
My stainless version measured .451 for the Colt cylinder and .4505 for the ACP. Both reamed to .4525 and shoot very well with cast.

Rclark

Hunter
Gee, I wonder why Ruger has made a few hundred thousand revolvers and can't figure out what the "proper" chamber size is.
You might say, us .45 shooters have been wondering that for years ....

Joe S.

Hunter
I dunno what the throats are but mine shoots pretty good.

image22.jpg

Thanks very much for the replies. I think I'll plan/expect to do a little more work if I manage to snag one of these beauties. Maybe I'll get lucky. I think the NM Blackhawks (Large frame) in 45 Colt are probably around about 50/50 ( or maybe less) with undersized throats on any particular gun, though this is only my limited experience with them