Ruger Vaquero .32

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BradB

Bearcat
So I walk into a LGS and start looking at guns and pleased to see a lot of revolvers I lay eyes on a Ruger Vaquero and it is a .32. Please advise. What is this?

Case hardened frame and wooden grip. This isn't on the website. I asked the store attendant if this was his private collection and he said this gun was recently sent. I was after a .357 but this was a nice piece.

How much non catalog merchandize is out there? The .357 single action they had was a Taurus made in Brazil. Sorry but my heart was set on Ruger. You understand.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I know nothing about it but if you don't buy it pm me the info I will buy the gun love the 32mag.

BradB

Bearcat
East of Mobile Alabama in the Eastern shore market place take route 10 east/west to 181 north/south in the Eastern shore market place two doors down from the Tuesday morning store. Prices aren't low but they have some stuff. First time I'd been in this store. Good luck since it isn't a common product.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Are you 100% sure it was a Vaquero?

As was mentioned, there are INCREDIBLY RARE 32-20 / 32 H&R convertible Vaqueros out there, but again - INCREDIBLY RARE.

The Ruger Single Six "Vaquerito's" in .32 H&R - fixed sight Single Sixes made to look like baby Vaqueros - were a hot item back in their day. They haven't been made since 2005. I had over 25 of them (had 10 pairs at one time reserved just for "investment"), accurate, light, handy, and almost as fun to look at as they were to shoot!

They're a ton of fun, but ammo supply for the 32 hasn't been steady, nor has brass or bullet supply. Bit on the small side for deer, but it'll do it (been there), makes a fantastic coyote killer.

MSB9021

Bearcat
I have a pair - 4-5/8" barrels, fixed sights, polished stainless and real imitation ivory grips with Ruger medalions, in .32 H&R. I had originally bought them for my son when I was cowboy action shooting. He never really used them, though, and I once tried to sell them. Glad now that there was no interest around here. A near regret experience. I bought dies, Starline brass, bullets and powder when I got them. I've never fired a factory round through them.
Hmmmm!? I need to get them out and load for them again. They are fun to shoot and accurate.

BradB

Bearcat
32 H&R caliber, fixed sights, Ruger single action wood grips, case hard finish on the frame. I was under the impression that if it isn't a Blackhawk with adjustable sights and it has the rounded edges and smooth curves, it was called a Vaquero.

The blue Taurus Gaucho 357 isn't a Taurus catalog item either. I guess catalogs are just a guide for what's mostly out there. It was nice to see new items unexpected and uncommon.

peyton

Single-Sixer
Please post the contact info for the gun shop if your not going to buy it. I love the .32's!!!

Ethang

Blackhawk
What is it? Only one of the funnest little pistols you will ever encounter. A near perfect fit in a Single Six frame and good for just about everything short of large game. Anymore its easier to shoot then my dwindling 22 supply

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The official Ruger marketing called it the:

VaqueritoBrochure.jpg

Only 500 stainless steel "Vaqueritos" made with standard size XR3-RED grip frames: # KSSM4-FI.
Only 500 blue ones made with standard grip frame: # SSM4-FI

Both blue and stainless also made with Birds Head grips, add BH behind the M in the catalog #s above. (550 stainless w/BH grip cleanup guns made later and have warning under barrel instead of left side).

Short gripped stainless # KSSM4-FSI (150 w/short grip cleanup guns made later and have warning under barrel).
Short gripped blue # SSM4-FSI

The rarest of the above have an '*' in front of the serial # indicating sold as a used gun by the factory.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
BradB said:
So I walk into a LGS and start looking at guns and pleased to see a lot of revolvers I lay eyes on a Ruger Vaquero and it is a .32. Please advise. What is this?

Case hardened frame and wooden grip.
Please post pics!

As others have said, it may well be a Single Six .32 "Vaquerito". And they are great.

However, they do NOT have color case hardened frames. It is a faux finish.

I had this one shortened to 3.5" ("quasi sheriff's model style, but kept ejector rod), polished off the faux color case finish, action job, engraved, and reblued.

Even though I did all that, I'm not babying it nor leaving it in the safe. Its a great li'l carry gun and surprisingly accurate.

Love the .32 H&R Mag!

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I just saw one of 32 H&R Vaquero Single Sixes with the birds head grip and case color at a local shop. Price was right at $500 no box or docs. It has my interest but I havent pulled the trigger yet.

gak

Buckeye
The OP needs to chime in here - what the heck is it? It's easy to tell. The Single Six Vaqueritos will say Single Six on the frame. Same size as the .22 framed SSs. The rare .32 convertible mentioned is the full sized NM Blackhawk frame and will say Vaquero on the frame. By the way, contrary to popular myth, not all Vaqueritos had the odd shortened grip frame. All mine have been full XR3 RED. You had to be careful at the time (actually still do) as they were sold side-by-side for awhile, with no distinction on the tag and 75% if the time the seller-clerk either was completely ignorant of the difference or wasn't divulging.

BradB

Bearcat
My apologies for being a non informing OP but I only make it out to that shopping strip every couple of months and never knew that store existed until that one visit so pictures and clarification are kind of at a dead end for my involvement. However, the contact info I posted should be good and the store owners and staff are very polite/ friendly and would probably try to help you any way they can.

Again, I apologize for any confusion I have caused anyone here with this posting. Regards, Brad

gak

Buckeye
No apologies necessary, it's just that it's a puzzlement. If the large frame Vaquero and says "Vaquero" on it, it would seem to be a custom as no factory cch'd/blued large .32s were made that I know of. All the .32-20/.32H&R convertibles were gloss stainless/micarta. So the guess of "Vaquerito" (which wasn't on the gun, just a Ruger marketing term and nickname some of us use) is the more likely. Curious.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
These are both the Davidson's "Special" in .22 to match the .32 Vaqueritos:

vacsinglesix001.jpg

I have the top one with 4 5/8" barrel (BNV-224-SI), which is a perfect match to my .32 Vaq. which only came with 4 5/8" barrel. Both now have XR3 steel grip frames; the perfect size for them.