how to judge the "lock up"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zeus100

Bearcat
just got revolver, circa 1980s. how does one judge the cylinder "tightness" or "lockup"?

how much play in the cylinder should there be?
Can a range be measured?
What part or mechanism controls this and wears out?

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Expect some play in older revolvers. There is nothing wrong with having some small degree of play when the bolt is engaging the bolt cut of the cylinder.

Some will make the point a bit of looseness is preferable unless the maker is certain the alignment of all chambers is precise to the barrel throat, otherwise, it is possible for the chamber to be aligned too much to one side or the other, preventing the bullet from centering itself up in the barrel throat as it exits the chamber mouth.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I don't begrudge revolvers that have a little wiggle room as long as (no particular order):

1) when the cylinder is pressed forward, it rests against the frame, not the forcing cone
2) when the cylinder is pressed rearward, it doesn't have excessive B/C gap
3) when the cylinder is pressed forward, it doesn't have excessive headspace (i.e. ignition issues)
4) there is no lateral play, aka no misalignment of the chambers to the bore

If all but number 3 are true, or if you just want to eliminate some of the wiggle, an endshake shim can hold the cylinder to the rear and control headspace and endshake. It DOES, however, open up your B/C gap. Which is really to say that it holds the B/C gap open, so as long as number 2 is true (i.e. zero headspace when pushed forward, and 0.01" or less when pushed rearward), you're groovy with a shim.

wwb

Hunter
To check cylinder to barrel alignment, you need a tool called a "Range Rod".... I believe Brownell's carries them.

tough to "judge" the lock up of any revolver, nature of the beast.......very 'subjective' and as to what YOU like and want in a revolver....you want it 'tight" then so be it, get that one....does it make it shoot any better??? hhhmmm...seen many, many very "loose"' guns over the years that shoot better than YOU or me ever could. Its when there is an "issue" (problem) then it needs to be addressed....with time and experience, you can spot ( feel) the differences, and know "right", from 'wrong' (good and bad) :wink:

s4s4u

Hunter
wwb said:
To check cylinder to barrel alignment, you need a tool called a "Range Rod".... I believe Brownell's carries them.

Actually you can get a pretty good look by shining a light between the cylinder and frame and peering down the muzzle. The hole should look like a full moon, if it looks like the moon just before or after full you may want to take a closer look.