Does Ruger still sell original style wood RH grips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

k22fan

Blackhawk
The title is my question. I can't find them on shopruger.com. I am not thrilled with the Goodyears that superseded them. Besides, sticking with wood retains the RH's traditional revolver appearance.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I'd venture that the service or parts department would have them if you call ruger, but they don't stock them as regular items on shopruger.com. Kinda a nice "trick" to find a lot of hard to find parts.

sousana

Single-Sixer
I'll look in my grip box, I have 11 RH, all sporting altamont grips with original grips vacuum sealed, but I'm always buying oem grips at shows. If I have a pair, they are yours.

k22fan

Blackhawk
sousana,
Your generosity certainly was unexpected!

I'm curious what the Altamont grip you prefer looks like and if it's to help with the recoil of especially heavy loads or for some other reason. The oem grips work fine for me for standard factory .44s which I barely have any need for. The relatively small black tails around me don't require a lot. I don't mean to criticize anyone else's preference. Grip fit is personal. What one guy loves the next guy hates.

rugerguy,
It looks like I've found a set. I'll remember to try e-mailing next time. Any rumors about which barrel lengths and cartridges new RHs will offer when they're released?

sousana

Single-Sixer
The altamont grips I use are smooth super rosewood or smooth silver black. They fill the hand a tad better for ME, some people don't like them because they are smooth.

My RH's are of the 44mag & 45 colt variety. Using cowboy loads their is some felt recoil but nothing not bad. Using full power large game loads is diff, felt recoil is much stiffer, but still within one handed use if need be. To me the gun jumps and moves in my hand more with factory grips, the other day at the range I fired a friends rh in 44mag using buffalo bores hottest loads and I have to say I much prefer altamont, the let me get a much better grip.

I haven't found a spare pair of grips yet, but I've still got tons to go thru. Lol, I should set up a table at the next show. In my ammo bunker, I have every box on each weapon I own, along with its factory grips, and mags should it be a semi, and the are all vacuum seeled for preservation, the grips and mags seeled then seeled again in the box, going back some 40 years.

I don't normally sell anything gun related as you just never know, one of the concrete rooms in my bunker is devoted to holsters, parts, grips, and ammo for items I don't own or have owned and traded. When I was a dealer years ago, I picked up a large police sale on colt pythons, 4" nickel plated along with holsters, speed loaders and spair parts. Paid the department $425/gun and parts and bought 255 of those that officers didn't buy for themselves. Been sitting on them until recently where I sold them to a company at twice what I paid minus a few for myself, and the parts they purchased seperately. Police weapons are great, lotta wear but little use, and when you buy police dept lots, many are unissued. The pythons I kept were all the unissued ones.

I'll keep looking and let you know what I dig up.

k22fan

Blackhawk
sousana,

I wouldn't ask you to part with the original grips off any of your RHs. After I change parts or grips I try to hang on to a guns originals so the gun can be restored. A lot of formerly common guns have acquired collector status or high prices due to demand for them. Thanks for looking through your extra grips.

You were lucky to get a chance at all those Pythons and smart to invest in them. For common guns it seems nicer Colts, Winchesters and US military guns have gone up the most in my years of following guns.

sousana

Single-Sixer
Fear not, the originals are vacuum sealed in the original boxes, which are also vacuum sealed, I'm looking through my barrel-o-grips, grips purchased at gunshows, flea markets, garage/estate sales, problem is that the bbl is filled with 40 years worth of grips.