MAN can those GP100`s shoot!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I now own 6 GP100`s , Two of them are SS 6" .357`s.
Here is one that I installed a Weigand rail and Ultra Dot on. I bolted the red dot and rail on and went to the gun club last Sunday and ,without bore sighting, it printed this 6 shot group with the first cylinder full at 25 yd. rested.

158 gr. Hornady XTP over 14 gr. 2400 (my standard load).
To say "I am pleased" would be an understatement.

Rclark

Hunter
The target looks very good! The grips on the revolver though.... :eek: . Gotta loose them somewhere and get some good looking wood grips ;) . Hah!

wproct

Single-Sixer
Nice revolver, and nice shooting! I thought I was doing good having two GP100 revolvers, but you put me to shame. :D Also, those Hogue grips may not be lookers, but they sure are comfortable to shoot, aren't they?

brushunter

Single-Sixer
wproct said:
those Hogue grips may not be lookers, but they sure are comfortable to shoot, aren't they?

Yes ...nice shooting. I replaced the Hogue standard mono with the Hogue Tamer grip. Not real pretty , but they really soak up the snap of a hot .357 . I have and have had .44s , .45s .454s and had an Encore .460 with a 13" barrel ... I can tolerate recoil ...but theres something about the .357 with heavy loads ...

regards , brushunter

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Rclark , The wood grips I have used are a little to large for my hands. The Hogues that come on them from the factory do fit quite well for me and I don`t dislike the looks of them either. I have Hogue wood on my Security six and they are nice but just a little to fat.

That's a nice looking rig. Is it meant to hunt or just punch paper? Reason I ask is that I used to hunt squirrels and bunnies with a scoped stainless Python and wadcutters. I'll bet that one would shoot under a nickel with a HBWC and they are deadly on small game. With .22LR I always tried for head shots, but a .38 wadcutter strikes the boiler room like the hammer of Thor.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
mike campbell , Mike, my hunting days are over I think. Not that I cant get around ,I just don`t enjoy it now that my best friend/hunting partner has passed. I do shoot a lot but paper is my main target these days except for CAS and this gun would be frowned on at a Cowboy match. It would be fun though.

jsh

Single-Sixer
Have to agree 100%.
I was a dyed in the wool sw type for a long time. Buddy and I did some swapping and I ended up with his GP ss 6". I had shoot this gun several years in a bullseye league with good results. Have since picked up a 4"357 and a 3" 38.
I sure wish Ruger would step up and make a 45acp wheel gun. I am afraid my 625 would be down the road.
Jeff

Great shooting. I had a Weigand mount on my 4" GP100 and was amazed how good it shot. Since I usually hunt with one of my 44's I went back to the fiber optic sights. I still carry the 357 for bow range does. One of these days I will probably list the mount in classifieds.

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
Nice group! That's good shooting even with a rest and a red dot.

I'm especially happy about how well my GP100 shoots plated bullets. A Rainier 158 plated FP over 5.5 grains of Unique and a magnum primer makes for a highly accurate target load at 25 yards, and leaves the gun clean.

I've been thinking about the 'weigatinny' rail to mate my Fastfire III to my 4" GP, I think this thread has pushed me over the edge.

I was going to put a scope on my GP to really wring it out but groups with my red dot were all touching so I didn't bother. LGS got a case of Federal 357's with their 180 grain cast bullet by mistake. I bought a box to try out and my gun loved them. I got a great deal on the rest of the case. Almost as cheap as what new brass cost.

PO2Hammer, I sent you a pm.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Bucks Owin, just wanted to suggest you might want to change your tag line to read :

"Enemy of the DEP
(Domestic Enemy Party, formerly known as the Democrat Party)

because that bunch is anything but 'democratic'.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
desertrat said:
Bucks Owin, just wanted to suggest you might want to change your tag line to read :

"Enemy of the DEP
(Domestic Enemy Party, formerly known as the Democrat Party)

because that bunch is anything but 'democratic'.

Good point! :wink:

Bob R

Single-Sixer
You might try some targets made by cutting out different size circles from White Card Stock, and sticking them on cardboard with spray adheasive.
I like to get the White Target Dot a size where it will Halo around the Red Dot at the Range I am shooting at. This helps me center the Red Dot in the center of the White Circle. You should be able to get some very good groups at way further than 25 yards with your set up, and a Red Dot Friendly target.
I would guess that you could get groups down to around 2 Inchs at 100 yards off sand bags with the Red Dot.
I have thought about a 6 Inch GP100 as a Practice Hunting Revolver, set up about like yours. I have an UltraDot 30 on my 480 SRH. I would probably upgrade to a new MatchDot II in 30mm setting up something new.

Bob

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Bob , Good idea. That group was the first six shots out of that gun after the rail and red dot were installed. I was sure surprised that it was almost centered up on the target . Sometimes luck is better that skill. I had a large cardboard backer behind the target just in case it wasn't even on paper. LOL !!!

Fletchman

Bearcat
That is one sweet looking GP-100 Personally I like rubber grips much better than wood for shooting full house loads. I have a 3 screw black hawk 4 5/8 barrel with hogue mono grips on it to handle the snap. I wish they made tammers to fit the Redhawk frame but with the old style design I went with pachmayr decelerators. Anyway, that was an excellent group. Shows the shooter is doing justice to the handgun.