cut down GP100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
Has anyone cut down a GP100 barrel? How short can you go? Has Ruger ever offered anything shorter than the 3inch barrel? Thanks, Ed.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
There used to be a gunsmith member here, IOWEGAN, that made a snub GP-100. Very nice gun. I could not locate the thread where he posted it. You might try the RugerForum.net where he hangs out now. :D

Actually, I just took one of my GP100's to Ahlmans in Morristown MN to have it done. It started out as a 6" half lug, and it's going to 3.25" - just after the slope on the lug. They're going to recreate the front sight mount, plunger and all. It'll have an 11 degree crown finishing it off.

I'm excited, and I'll post pictures when it's done - should be less than 4 weeks.

Thel

Blackhawk
Over at Rugerforum.net Waveform made his own GP100 short barrel. I think they can be cut to 2.6" per Waveform. Here is a link to Waveform's end result:

http://rugerforum.net/gun-gallery/91500-gp100-aleutian-finished-photos.html

I believe he has another he is going to take in a different direction and some 3" 1751 adjustable sighted .38's he is going to make 1708 type .357's out of.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I've always thought that cutting a 6" GP back to 4-5" just to get rid of that angled end of the underlug would make a nice looking sixgun. Of course, it would be better done on a .44Spl conversion.

eveled

Hawkeye
Thanks for the replys, I am thinking of having my 4 inch cut down. Then bobbing the hammer. Just pipe dreaming for now. Ed.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
eveled said:
Thanks for the replys, I am thinking of having my 4 inch cut down. Then bobbing the hammer. Just pipe dreaming for now. Ed.
You are still going to have a large heavy gun with a bulky grip. If you really want something more compact, consider a 2" SP-101.

s4s4u

Hunter
I guess I don't understand the reasoning either. A little barrel is easier to hide than the handle and cylinder. I wish the LCRx had a little longer barrel, but to each their own I gesss.

22/45 Fan said:
eveled said:
You are still going to have a large heavy gun with a bulky grip. If you really want something more compact, consider a 2" SP-101.

Not for concealment, just more fun to shoot. I hate tiny grips, and the SP101 doesn't have fully adjustable sights, and is missing a hole in the cylinder. :mrgreen:

wproct

Single-Sixer
I have a 2 in bbl model 60 S&W revolver for carry, and don't need anymore. However, I just have this attraction to shorter barrel larger frame revolvers. A longer barrel might make more sense, but snubby revolvers are just more fun. :D

eveled

Hawkeye
I already have the SP101, I kind of wanted to make the GP more like the SP101. You are right about the barrel being easy to hide, if it is iwb, but I was thinking for owb carry.

I was looking for the 3 inch GP, when I found the 4 inch fixed sight for a good deal, so I jumped on it, especially because I knew how hard the compact grips are to find.

I guess it doesn't make much sense to cut down a fixed sight gun, if it is only going to be less than half an inch shorter than the 3in gun. Would make more sense to cut down an adjustable sight gun, to have a gun they don't offer.

ruger357001.jpg

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Yeah, I suppose increased muzzle blast, decreased velocity and sight radius might be fun.... :?

Me, I run to the opposite extreme, the more barrel the better! 8)

(Altho' I freely admit I have no need to conceal 10" of barrel.. :lol: )

Just my mentally warped two centavos... :wink:

eveled

Hawkeye
I decided to leave the GP the way it is, and bought one of these.... http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764974_-1_757770_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

4oz less than my SP101 and 8 shots.

eveled

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
I would like to take a 4-5" adjustable sight GP and trim all the fat off the barrel, to something like a Security Six profile.

I think that would be a nice gun. I wonder what the correct method to do it would be? Is there a way to get it into a lathe?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Half lug GP's of all sorts are getting very pricey. The last one I saw under the glass was $500.00 firm and someone bought it soon after. The 4" full lug adjustable sight version is the cheapest used one on average that I see nowadays. Hopefully I'll come across a worn but cheap and functional example to give such a treatment. I would also like to dehorn the frame a bit too.