LCR 22 MAG

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimjc

Single-Sixer
Has anyone been shooting the LCR 22 mag...I`ve been thinking about getting one for my wife but have heard that accuracy wasn`t up to par like the center fire LCR`s...It seems to fit her hand alright and she likes how light it is.....Are you getting decent accuracy form yours...

I'd be more concerned about the lack of punch....about half that of a pipsqueak .380ACP....than the accuracy. With the right encouragement, any lady should be able to get accustomed to an airweight .38SPL.

csnider

Single-Sixer
The LCR 22 Mag is my carry gun. Very accurate little revolver. I carry Hornady Critical Defense loads. Not going to get into the argument about the effectiveness of a 22 mag but will just say it is a nasty little round up close. Not my first choice for gun fight but works for me as my conceal carry weapon in a pocket holster. Mine has a Novak fiber optic front sight and wears set of Crimson Trace grips.

csnider

jimjc

Single-Sixer
csnider said:
The LCR 22 Mag is my carry gun. Very accurate little revolver. I carry Hornady Critical Defense loads. Not going to get into the argument about the effectiveness of a 22 mag but will just say it is a nasty little round up close. Not my first choice for gun fight but works for me as my conceal carry weapon in a pocket holster. Mine has a Novak fiber optic front sight and wears set of Crimson Trace grips.

csnider

I have the Horn. critical defense loads in my 9 and 45's they`re great defense loads..I don`t think people give the 22 mag enough credit for the penetration it gets and the damage they do...I didn`t until I saw the tests.
But this is the land of "if ones good twos better" so be that as it may..

I`m glad to hear you`re getting good accuracy...I`m looking to make the decision by the weekend. I've taken my wife out to shoot about a dozen times now and she shot my 9mm`s...she didn`t like them and the accuracy showed it...Then I let her shoot a Ruger 22/45 and you wouldn`t believe how accurate she was with it...So the writing is on the wall it`s a 22mag for her..Thanks Jim

contender

Ruger Guru
First rule of a gunfight; Have a gun.
Without the heated debates about calibers, penetration etc for a SD gun, the first thing about selecting a firearm for yourself is one you can shoot, COMFORTABLY, and having it fit YOU!
I teach a lot of ladies to shoot.
I find you have done right by allowing her to enjoy a 22, & where her dislikes of a 9mm have made you focus on a caliber she can shoot.
I will offer this. If at all possible, let her shoot a LCR in 22 mag before you purchase one. It will be different than the 22/45 she has tried. She needs to be the one to select her gun of choice. Again, it falls back to rule number one.

jimjc

Single-Sixer
mike campbell said:
I'd be more concerned about the lack of punch....about half that of a pipsqueak .380ACP....than the accuracy. With the right encouragement, any lady should be able to get accustomed to an airweight .38SPL.

I know it's not be the best but the 22 mag gets very good penetration...as good as just about any handgun bullet.. it does serious damage...My wife isn`t accurate with my center fires so the next best is the 22 mag. IMO the 22 mag is far different than the 22lr.

My problem is my wife has to much trouble racking the slides on any of my semi`s. and centerfire bullets in a snubby will have to much recoil..so it`s the 22 mag...

jimjc

Single-Sixer
contender said:
First rule of a gunfight; Have a gun.
Without the heated debates about calibers, penetration etc for a SD gun, the first thing about selecting a firearm for yourself is one you can shoot, COMFORTABLY, and having it fit YOU!
I teach a lot of ladies to shoot.
I find you have done right by allowing her to enjoy a 22, & where her dislikes of a 9mm have made you focus on a caliber she can shoot.
I will offer this. If at all possible, let her shoot a LCR in 22 mag before you purchase one. It will be different than the 22/45 she has tried. She needs to be the one to select her gun of choice. Again, it falls back to rule number one.

You're 100% correct she needs to have something she can shoot right.. Heck I`m happy that I have a wife that even considers a gun and likes to shoot...most don`t...

Some time back I had a Taurus 22mag 8 shot and I remember she shot that and liked it..I shouldn`t have sold it but I do have some idea that she likes the 22 and the mag is the 22 to have.,.Jim

BradB

Bearcat
22 mag is a great cartridge for all around anything minus large game. That is if you can find the ammo. Has anyone noticed the mag ammo more scarce than LR?

I love my LCR 22LR. I'm glad I don't have the MAG just because of the ammo shortage. It's bad enough with 22LR.

rallye_red

Bearcat
I like the 22 magnum. I agree about the comfortable comment above by contender. Better to have a 22 mag you have confidence shooting, then a larger caliber your not confident with. And to BradB, your right, the 22 mag is really hard to get (yes, more then the 22LR).

Bear in mind, when you are willing to use a 22 caliber and need to use it, you are pretty much committed to using every one in the cylinder. The 22 Mag is potent and I think close to the 38 regardless of lacking knock down power, it's got plenty of penetration. Like any other gun fight shoot until the danger has subsided.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I bought a LCR22 for my wife, she's recoil sensitive. But she can't even pull the trigger. It's one of the hardest triggers to pull on any gun that I've ever owned. Even stiffer than my Taurus 85!

delsol

Bearcat
I'm not the most accurate shooter but at 7 yds I can put all 6 rds in a five inch circle with my lcr 22 magnum and the 22 mag has a lot more punch than a 22 lr. The only thing is the trigger, it's long and heavy so have your wife shoot one before buying. But I do believe this gun has made me a better shooter because of the trigger.

weyes1

Bearcat
Just got one for my wife. I took it out and shot it Weds. Shot great! Good accuracy for up to 10 yards. Don't listen to anyone that says the 22 mag. wont work for self defense. Training my wife to shoot 2 to the chest one to the ocular window. I had an old level II trama pad from an old duty vest and shot it with the 22 mag. went clean through. She is going with me tomorrow to shoot it. I am sure she will love it since there is hardly any recoil. She doesn't like much recoil.
Hope this helps.

j p sixguns welldone

Single-Sixer
Bought the 22 mag lcr for my lady she loves it the only thing she's ever liked shooting,and she's deadly accurate with it.but after about 50 rounds gets tough for her to pull that long trigger pull and be accurate.and I agree with contender well said. I've seen guys buy their lady's autos and bigger revolvers and they couldn't shoot it well or clear a jam or malfunction, I believe your just putting them in more danger than necessary,

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Any firearm is better than a sharp stick.

However, check out the ballistics for 22 mag out of a short barrel.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html
You're looking at a 40gr slug traveling at only about 900fps or a little less. The 22mag loses a lot of steam from shorter barrels.

You can see the energy graph here:
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/2013data/22magME.html

You're looking at under 120ft pounds.

Not a very impressive round when the barrel lengths get below carbine length.

I was thinking about a 22mag LCR for my wife until I started thinking about what would happen if she ever really had to use it. I'm just not so sure.

Jeff

I'll say again, ask any big city trauma doc or EMT about .22 WRM wounds, and you'll get a lot of @#%^&!!!! At close range, the bullets and fragments slice and dice soft tissue (the important stuff). And CLOSE range is all we're talking about here. Beyond ten yards is a whole other conversation, and a whole other firearm.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Mike Armstrong said:
I'll say again, ask any big city trauma doc or EMT about .22 WRM wounds, and you'll get a lot of @#%^&!!!! At close range, the bullets and fragments slice and dice soft tissue (the important stuff). And CLOSE range is all we're talking about here. Beyond ten yards is a whole other conversation, and a whole other firearm.
I don't think any of us wants to test out the results by being shot by a 22mag even out of a 2" barrel. :D

Only point I was trying to make is the ballistics numbers for this round are typically published from much longer rifle / carbine length barrels and once the barrels are shortened to snub nose length, the velocity and energy fall off rapidly.

Junglebob

Bearcat
jimjc said:
csnider said:

csnider

I have the Horn. critical defense loads in my 9 and 45's they`re great defense loads..I don`t think people give the 22 mag enough credit for the penetration it gets and the damage they do...I didn`t until I saw the tests.
But this is the land of "if ones good twos better" so be that as it may..

I`m glad to hear you`re getting good accuracy...I`m looking to make the decision by the weekend. I've taken my wife out to shoot about a dozen times now and she shot my 9mm`s...she didn`t like them and the accuracy showed it...Then I let her shoot a Ruger 22/45 and you wouldn`t believe how accurate she was with it...So the writing is on the wall it`s a 22mag for her..Thanks Jim

I've been looking for a CC gun for my wife. She held a Shield during the classroom portion of a CC class. She used a .22 for the class, a Mark 3, I believe and liked it because of the lack of recoil. I met the instructor at a range for her to try the Shield. The problem was she couldn't rack the slide to get a round chambered, even with him giving instruction on the proper way to rack the slide. She has trouble with my semi-auto but can do it. We tried a friends S&W .38 snubby once and she did horrid at about 7 yards. The instructor suggested maybe a .22 magnum revolver. I'm wondering if maybe a Ruger 101 would have less felt recoil and maybe if she started with wadcutter loads she might do better. I don't like the idea of having a problem finding ammo either .38 special is hard enough to find.