improved base pin removal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
WELL, I had to go check all of mine to be sure but it appears that one goes in and out and the other one for sure comes out and goes in.
And so it goes...

yessir, sounds like one of them Belt Mountain type pins if its "knurled" and as noted above, check for ANY 'set screw'............. :wink:

other than that, they work the same as any of the others....... :)

WIL TERRY said:
WELL, I had to go check all of mine to be sure but it appears that one goes in and out and the other one for sure comes out and goes in.
And so it goes...
Durn you Wil! Now I have to go and check mine. This mechanically challenged person even has a set of metric adjustable crescent wrenches ! :)
gramps

wwb

Hunter
gramps said:
Durn you Wil! Now I have to go and check mine. This mechanically challenged person even has a set of metric adjustable crescent wrenches ! :)
gramps

Yeah, but do you have the full set of both right-handed and left-handed metric crescent wrenches? And what do you do if you encounter an SAE nut or bolt? Those metric wrenches will round off the hex for certain, and then you'll have to resort to vise grips.

No, only have the right handed set (I am right handed). What is with those
SAE thingingy's. Yep you are right about wiping the hex right off at times ;(. Them vise grips come in handy right about then! :)
gramps

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
SAE (society of automotive engineers) has to do with thread size/pitch standards and not the hex size. I have a 200 MM Crescent wrench that is ambidextrous.

wwb

Hunter
Chuck 100 yd said:
SAE (society of automotive engineers) has to do with thread size/pitch standards and not the hex size. I have a 200 MM Crescent wrench that is ambidextrous.

Actually, there is a standard hex size for each thread diameter.... 2, in fact. There is also a "heavy hex" series, where the hex size is larger than normal.... usually found only on grade 8 or supergrade nuts & bolts.

I think that's an ASME standard.... been retired for 6 years now, don't remember for certain, and ain't gonna bother to look it up.

LAH

Buckeye
Ok guys everyone knows that left handed adjustable wrenches haven't come out yet. That technology is years away.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
A good mechanic might even have a few Whitworth spanners around to supplement the newfangled SAE wrenches and metrics.

All them new fangled wrenches just to get a base pin out? No wonder I don't strip my guns for cleaning! I haven't had a chance yet to check my base pin per Will Terry's suggestion. Inny or outy?
gramps, who loves to fuel a good fire :)