parts?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i recently bought a ruger police service six, i was wondering since its no longer made should i get extra parts? i noticed on some web sites that the front latch and spring was available as well as other parts. i don't plan on shooting much as this is my woods gun, i'll put about 20-50rds to get the feel then only a few rds a month if that, probably only fire it when its needed. do you think spare parts is needed because i know that soon they may run out? do ya'll keep any on hand? thanks for any help

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Hard to say. The problem is you might never have anything ever fail on you. At the rate you intend to shoot it you will probably be handing it down to grand children full functional.

My revolver use is similar to yours and I've never managed to break one yet, though I did have a couple that came from the manufacturer defective (both S&W revolvers).

Maybe if you find a really good deal on a replacement set of innards you could go for it, but otherwise I'd just use and shoot.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Not saying they can't fail, but I've never heard of one failing.

Once in a rare blue moon I'll read of someone breaking a transfer bar. Sights will get banged and bumped and sometimes might need replacing. May be with very heavy use and with certain loads you might want to do a spring replacement or a firing pin (even that would be rare though).

The "problem" (not really a problem) with these Rugers are they are so heavily built they just about have to be intentionally abused to break them.

I've found parts for various old, and I mean OLD gun at Numrich - http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Ruger-33474/Revolvers-40405/PoliceServiceSix-38345.htm

But I suspect with as many pistols in the *Six series Ruger made, parts will be available for them for a very long time to come.

DPris

Buckeye
I would buy key spare parts.
I do buy key spare parts for important guns.
With Rugers, since some parts are hard to find, I buy spare guns. :)
Denis

wapiti22

Blackhawk
DPris said:
Denis

That's the best one I've heard yet -- Gee Honey, I have to buy 2 of these guns so I'll have spare parts.

I'll have to try that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
wapiti22 said:
DPris said:
Denis

That's the best one I've heard yet -- Gee Honey, I have to but 2 of these guns so I'll have spare parts.

thats a good idea, might be a little while till i save enough for another gun. but if the service six i bought will last a while then i'll have a chance to save.

DPris

Buckeye
I buy spare triggers, hammers, firing pins & so on for the Smiths.
Ruger makes such things much more difficult on their DA revolvers, so I have two 3-inch GPs & three 4-inch GPs.

I cannot possibly run out of functional Ruger .357 Mag DAs during my lifetime, barring natural disaster or un-natural act of man or government, even if Ruger goes under tomorrow morning & never makes another one. :)

The Security-Six I started policing with in 1976 is an example of a great gun, but also an example of one that Ruger couldn't be expected to keep supporting at the factory level forever.
It sits in honorable retirement; ready to return to use if needed, but otherwise kept as a reserve in favor of the GPs.

For the forseeable future, the GP can be easily repaired by Ruger at the factory or easily replaced by me at the gunshop if it breaks down or gets lost or stolen while out & about.
Can't say the same about the Security-Six family, but they do illustrate that nothing good lasts forever.

Buy whatever spare parts you can to keep that SS going as long as possible.
They are durable, but they do break on occasion.
Denis

Enigma

Hunter
wapiti22 said:
DPris said:
Denis

That's the best one I've heard yet -- Gee Honey, I have to buy 2 of these guns so I'll have spare parts.

That brings to mind the old adage 'Two is one, and one is none.' The perfect excuse to accumulate more than one of each type!

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
thanks everyone, i have been checking and some springs are fairly easy to find, wolf makes a new hammer and trigger spring kit. but the firing pin and spring i can't find. probably never need them but peace of mind having them helps. if i just had the firing pin and spring i would feel better, the other stuff seems to be easy find. just the firing pin and spring seems to be bought up. thanks