Bought a new GP100 6" stainless steel...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

My first handgun was a Glock 35. Sold it after two years. Just didn't like it.

Second was a Ruger single-action "convertible" Single Six. Liked the gun, didn't like the way one has to load shells and then unload the husks. Sold it.

Third handgun, Ruger Mark III "Target" model. Love it. Still have it. For me, a perfect shooter.

Fourth handgun, a Custom CZ-SP01 from the CZ Custom Shop. Fully dressed competition gun. Great shooter, very very accurate. But I got out of competition, so I sold it. Before that for competition, I had a SIG X-5. The CZ easily was more accurate than the SIG.

Went for the 6" barrel on the new GP100. Weight of the pistol will not be an issue. I think my Mark III weighs only a few ounces less, and when I loaded up my CZ with 20 rounds of 9mm, it probably weighed more than the GP100. Never had a problem handling it, aiming it, or shooting it. Hope to have the same sorts of handling experiences with the GP100, though I do understand the .357 Mag rounds kick a bit more than 9mm rounds.

Probably won't have the new GP100 for three weeks...I'm in Maryland, and I have to get "electronically fingerprinted," get a Handgun Qualification License, and then fill out the usual background forms at the FFL's, and then wait seven to 10 working days.

Now, who has a line on .357 Mag or .38 Special ammo at 2006 prices? :D

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Congrats. I also have the MkIII Target and MkIII Hunter, and a 6" Security Six.

Though some don't like the LCI or mag disconnect of the MkIII, I have no problem. Both of my MkIII series will shoot anything I load in it, and I mean anything. Bargain bulk, any brand, no problem.

The SS is just a solid revolver overall. I've owned one since 1981 when I bought a 2-3/4" version. I haven't shot a factory loaded .357 in decades though, having been set up to reload for it from the earliest days of owning one. I buy bulk components, and if it's any consolation, the price on that (and availability) is also going up and up.

Happy shooting.

SS beside my 686:

IMG_3106.jpg

Some Ruger family members:

DSCN0438.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I went back and forth trying to decide whether I wanted a 4" or a 6" GP-100. I got the 4" for versatility but I believe the 6" would be a better range and hunting gun. The 6" Full Lug will definitely tame the 357mag cartridge for you. As for ammo, it's out there. There isn't hardly anything more popular than the 357mag/38special gun. 38's are fun to shoot also, just be sure to clean the chambers well after shooting 38 specials. :D

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Between the full lug S&W 686 4" barrel I have and the Security Six's slender 6" barrel, the Ruger definitely feels better, but when you touch off full charge 125 grain JHP loads they get your attention in the Ruger more so than the muzzle heavy barrel does.

Two inches of barrel length makes a big difference when using slow burning powders in the .357 too.

I clocked a load consisting of a 125 grain JHP over 20.5 grains H110. It produced 1464 fps from the 4" Smith but made 1658 fps out of the 6" Ruger. That's huge!

Well I hope the GP 100 is a keeper. I have the blued version. It is a little heavy but a great gun.

I'd like to see a picture of your old CZ if you have any. That sounds interesting.

A

Anonymous

Kevin said:
Well I hope the GP 100 is a keeper. I have the blued version. It is a little heavy but a great gun.

I'd like to see a picture of your old CZ if you have any. That sounds interesting.

I'll give it a shot. Here's a photo of the pistol in question, the absolute twin of mine, from the CZ Custom Shop. Oh...mine had a straight trigger:

czcustom.jpg

Oh. Nice, thanks. I know lots of people here hold CZ in high regards. I had a 75b for a while and that is the only gun I regret selling. I even had a 30 round magazine for it which was kind of silly but fun.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I now own 6 GP100`s , Two of them are SS 6" .357`s.
Here is one that I installed a Weigand rail and Ultra Dot on. I bolted the red dot and rail on and went to the gun club last Sunday and ,without bore sighting, it printed this 6 shot group with the first cylinder full at 25 yd. rested.

158 gr. Hornady XTP over 14 gr. 2400 (my standard load).
To say "I am pleased" would be an understatement.

steenroller

Bearcat
Have owned 3 GP100s and still have my 4". I had a Smith for a while and just did not like it as much as the GP100. To each their own. I know where there is a stainless service six but I cannot talk myself into parting with $650 for it yet.