Thinking about a GP-100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

brushunter

Single-Sixer
I let a laser gripped 686 get away from me last summer. Big Mistake. So now thinking about putting CT grips on a GP -100 , either 3 or 4 inch. Major problem is finding one. ( within my budget :? ) Around here the .357 100s are going for big bucks. I"m thinking of a .38 special and loading the .38-44 for it. I would think a GP in .38 would be a lot more economical. ANY thoughts ?

regards , brushunter

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Your thoughts are good. I doubt a 38 SPCL clambering would cost less than a 357, less common too. The 3" barrels usually go for more than the 4" also. If you mean loading or shooting 38's, yes that's a $$ saver.

It's hard to get more versatile than a 4" 357 mag. I'd widen the net and keep the Security-Six, and Service-Six on the Radar screen with the GP-100. Just a year or so ago I was able to add a 4" Security-Six at a reasonable price to go with my 6". The SP-101 is nice too.

I mostly shoot 38spcl reloads in my 357's.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I recently bought a new GP100 3in bbl with adjustable sights in 38 special. It was cheaper than the same bbl length in .357 magnum caliber with fixed sights. Made sense for me because I never shoot .357 magnum, but it's nice to have that option.

hittman

Staff member
If you could afford a laser gripped 686, you should be able to get about any GP-100 and have maybe $150 - $200 left over for ammo!

I think there's a 6-inch for sale in our very own classifieds now. I was lucky to score a couple of the 3-inch models but have never had a 4 inch model.

schloss

Single-Sixer
You should be happy with a GP if you can locate the bbl length you're after. They should be significantly less than a 686. Up here they're going for $450-600 for decent used. I think I can get a new one for $650.

I've had one for at least 10 years. It was intended to be my do everything 357. Since then, I've discovered single actions, and it doesn't get as much use. However, it is a really great gun. I don't think you can go wrong.

wolfee

Blackhawk
In the past 2 years Davidsons has received shipments of 4 or 5 GP's in non cataloged configurations. Cleanup guns or contract overruns we suspect. Sometimes they offer them at regular pricing and sometimes they mark them down--a lot. Keep an eye on Gungenie.com to see what comes in.

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
When I can't find what I want locally, I buy off Gunbroker.
Get a .357 GP100. Sure the .38's are neat, but the magnum covers all the bases and shoots .38's just fine.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
All good thoughts and appreciated. I was leaning toward the .38 thinking about loading the old .38-44 load for it. I believe the .38-44 is only a whisper away from .357 mag in the 125 grain version. And I believe the .38 GP is priced a little lower. No one has addressed the .38-44 in the .38 spl GPs ... any reason ?

Just to talked to a local dealer ( I trust him ) today , says I should be able to find a good used one for around $450 ....trouble is , he only sees the 4" version a couple times a year. Guess I'll just be patient and wait for the right one to come along.

Thanks all

regards , brushunter

A

Anonymous

brushunter said:
All good thoughts and appreciated. I was leaning toward the .38 thinking about loading the old .38-44 load for it. I believe the .38-44 is only a whisper away from .357 mag in the 125 grain version. And I believe the .38 GP is priced a little lower. No one has addressed the .38-44 in the .38 spl GPs ... any reason ?

Just to talked to a local dealer ( I trust him ) today , says I should be able to find a good used one for around $450 ....trouble is , he only sees the 4" version a couple times a year. Guess I'll just be patient and wait for the right one to come along.

Thanks all

regards , brushunter

http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-gp100-357-mag-38-special-revolver-23909

$547, brand spanking new. $531.99 for a cash sale.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Not really a wrong answer as long as it is in good condition.
I used to think I would never want a Fixed Sight 3 Inch. Take a look on the Gemini Customs web site. They make the fixed sight 3 Inch into a perfect carry piece.

My local dealer has a brand new 4 Inch Blued GP100 with Adjustable Sights on the shelf, as well as a new 3" Blued Willy Clapp GP100. I am sure both are from Davidson with the Lifetime Guarantee, like you would ever need it with a Ruger.

10dbpk0.jpg

Here is a picture of a 3 Inch 38 Special like wproct was telling about above. Don't hold your breath looking for one. I understand Davidson got 20 of them. And we know where atleast 2 of the 20 are at.

Bob

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Davidsons has beaucoup .38 Special GP100's now. http://www.galleryofguns.com
They're showing 99+ 3" Stainless with adjustable sights right now. That initial 20 was just the first shipment. They also have Stainless .38's in 4" with both fixed and adjustable sights. I picked up 3", Blued, Fixed Sight GP100's in .38 Special last year from them. They are all I shoot anymore. 38-44 loads are not a problem. Mine shoot point of aim at 50 feet with the fixed sights and heavy loads. If your local dealer has a Davidson's account he can get you a lower price than the Gun Genie quoted prices if you order through him.

Best Regards,
ADP3

brushunter

Single-Sixer
ADP3 said:
Davidsons has beaucoup .38 Special GP100's now. http://www.galleryofguns.com
They're showing 99+ 3" Stainless with adjustable sights right now. If your local dealer has a Davidson's account he can get you a lower price than the Gun Genie quoted prices if you order through him.

ADP3

I'm confused , went to my LGS and discussed ordering from him. He looks up Davidisons and does some figuring and tells me he can get me one for $634 ....holy crap batman ! Thats before tax and fees. Though he only charges $5 for his fee. ( if u'r buying from him ) According to the Gun Genie , I can get it for $ 623 out the door from a Genie dealer. None close to me. Im going to do some checking ...maybe look at Guns America or Gun Broker a little closier. Thanks for the info.

regards , brushunter

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Just did a check on Guns America ...lots available , all sizes , barrel lengths , etc. Several used also. Wanted to hit " buy it " button ... just couldn't. A new one yes , I'll buy off the web. But i'm just not sure about buying used without being able to " see " it. Or even off the forum classifieds I'd feel more comfortable. I'll keep scanning and checking several local dealers.

Thanks again for all imput

regards , brushunter

ADP3

Single-Sixer
brushhuner,
My "better price" remark is based on two of my local dealers. I was going to order a 3" Blue Fixed Sight GP100 .38 last year through the gungenie and had them both tell me to order through them from Davidsons and bypass the gungenie. They told me Davidsons adds a fee to use gungenie I saved a bit over $20 going through a local dealer. Both their prices were good but I went with the dealer 6 miles away instead of the dealer 35 miles away. I've picked up additional Blue, 3" .38 GP's since then. They are all I shoot these days. With .22LR prices around here I can shoot my .38 reloads for less money. I hope that you're as happy with yours as I am mine.

Best Regards,
ADP3

wproct

Single-Sixer
Sounds high. If you are talking about the 3 inch bbl with adjustable sights in 38 special, stock # 1751, my dealer had them at the last gunshow in Des Moines for $519.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I started out with a 4" for my annual quals as a LEO firearms instructor. After my local area LEOs all transferred to semi autos, I didn't to requalify anymore. I really loved this gun, but had no need for one anymore and decided to have a barrel swap. I wanted a 6" barrel for hunting purposes:

GP-100a.jpg